Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Any way to Salvage loss Special Characters?

So, as we all know, the server had a bit of a sniffle with special characters. I was just wondering if there was any way to recover special characters that might've been lost? I had some in my profile that've been turned into some fun little letters and whatnot. If there's no way to recover them, then all well! But I was just curious haha.
Rogue-Scribe

The only way I found to ‘fix’ the special characters that got corrupted in the recent update is to go in and edit the broken ones with the special characters again. Seems to work, at least in the cases I’ve found on my profile/characters.
Kim Site Admin

I went through and recovered all the ones I knew what they were. If you know what your emojis used to be and what they turned into, I can go through and do a balm for you and everybody. But the only way I can do it is if I can identify specific gibberish.
Folklore Topic Starter

I don’t wanna give you any extra work. I can add ‘em back myself I’m pretty sure haha. Thank you so much for the offer though!
Rogue-Scribe

Kim wrote:
I went through and recovered all the ones I knew what they were. If you know what your emojis used to be and what they turned into, I can go through and do a balm for you and everybody. But the only way I can do it is if I can identify specific gibberish.
Yeah I only had a few things so just took care of them. It was a small thing and didn’t want to dump bug reports on you Kim. Didn’t want to get in the way of you getting around to some of those post-it notes... ;)
Folks. Have y'all not seen Kim straight-up demand bug reports? Seriously, she wants your bug reports. She wants to hear about all the little oddities you run into. It might be nothing, it might even be something that was intended that just didn't fit your expectations... or it might be a missing key to resolving an issue that everyone else has also been too afraid to report! And if it really is nothing, I'm certain Kim has things set up to easily close/dismiss those reports. :)

And in a case like this, she just said that she can only fix the special characters that get reported to her - and reporting yours will let her fix those same ones for other folks who have used them, all in one swift blow!
Folklore Topic Starter

Please this has already been more or less resolved asdfgfdsf. I report bugs all the time, Zelphyr.
Rogue-Scribe

I do bug-reports too even if it comes back around to bite me. I figured the special characters thing was already known about and it took me all of five seconds to fix the few issues I found on my characters.
It was widespread-enough of an issue to get its own newspost that was updated multiple times to track progress.

An issue being "more or less" resolved doesn't mean it's completely resolved, and if there are still special characters being found that have not been fixed, then there's probably a lot of those still unfixed around the site, including in character profiles that players haven't had a chance to review yet.

Kim asked to be sent details (if available) so that she could "do a balm for you and everybody." Yes, it's obviously a known issue, but she just stated that she needs to know what special characters have not yet been corrected and what they turned into so that she can find them to fix them at all - sidewide, for everyone.
Rogue-Scribe

Cool cool, I get that. Thanks for explaining it.
Kim Site Admin

Yeah, to chime in here --

I know Rogue and Folklore have resolved their issues so this isn't for them, this is for whoever else comes into this topic looking for similar answers.

I have heard from a LOT of people who sent in bug reports or otherwise made contact, that they still have some unicode that was not resolved. I have asked them if they knew what they were so I could apply a fix for everyone. Close to 100% of people have said, "Oh I just fixed it myself." often accompanied by some variation of "I didn't want to waste your time, it was so small," or "I don't want to distract you from making bigger features!"

I have taken to PMing people directly to ask them about their jumbled characters to see if I can get more info, but very close to 100% of them have ALSO decided to just fix it themselves.

SOMETIMES I am able to figure out what their jumbles were, and then got turned into using backups and other records. But often I'm also just not sure whether they "fixed it" to be exactly the same as before, or if they decided to change it, and I hesitate to roll out a "fix" that might be putting yet another wrong character on people's pages.

I am definitely touched that so many don't want to create work for me! It's super sweet. In this ne case though, because it was site-wide, it touched a lot of people, and so I am still getting daily bug reports about it that nearly all resolve with the person choosing to fix it themselves instead of letting me pass that fix on to everyone. Getting the fix to everyone instead of having this conversation with each person one by one is probably the best way to actually save me time in the long run.

I'm really begging here, if you know for sure what a jumble of characters used to be, please drop me a line about what the jumble is and what it used to be. Even if you then decide to not wait for me to mix up a balm and just fix it yourself, sending me this info means a fix for everyone and fewer people likely to write in about the self-same jumble.

Also, just on a personal note, this sudden allergy onset was embarrassing for both me and Server. We're highly motivated to fix as much of it as I possibly can for as many people as I can. Once I have the info, it's actually quite quick to apply! Like, on the order of seconds.
Well, in that case, I'll go for my screenshots and see what I can find in there!! :D *goes rummaging.*
Folklore Topic Starter

I'll see if I can find any thing confirming what mine were! Zelphyr just came in real hot compared to what was going on and it was hecka off putting haha
Folklore Topic Starter

My big worry is finding outdated info and telling you the wrong code for the jumble aaa

Out of curiosity, a lot of websites for unicode objects have various little codes and numbers. If I could find which unicodes I KNEW I would've used, would that be useful at all, Kim?
Example of what I mean: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+2BED
Folklore wrote:
I'll see if I can find any thing confirming what mine were! Zelphyr just came in real hot compared to what was going on and it was hecka off putting haha

My apologies. ^^; It was intended to be good-humored, sorta light teasing, like a "oh, haha, you haven't had this common but far from universal experience that I'm sort-of playing up for levity? Well here's what's been established, so I'm not just dumping some vague burden on you."

But... intentions don't always match the desired outcome, and that in particular seems to be a thing I'm just... bad at communicating properly. ^^; Still trying to figure out how to not end up sounding like some sort of jerk while relaying info I figure to be important.

So... again, apologies for being off-putting and stuff. >.<
Folklore Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
But... intentions don't always match the desired outcome, and that in particular seems to be a thing I'm just... bad at communicating properly. ^^; Still trying to figure out how to not end up sounding like some sort of jerk while relaying info I figure to be important.

The biggest issue for me was it seemed like you were just kinda... assuming a lot, and telling us to do a lot in a way that came off like you thought you knew best, but hadn't maybe read the thread the same way I had.

You are on: Forums » Help » Any way to Salvage loss Special Characters?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus