Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Way Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Ilmarinen Moderator

The wiki entry on the history of animation has some other devices, too—but I’m not sure how they relate to StageCraft. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_animation
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "Machinima".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)
Darth_Angelus, creator of the riddle wrote:
The Mandalorian.
Most of the scenes are shot in this virtual studio where environments are just on screens around the walls
The cameras are all linked up to the screens so the perspective changes as needed
It's powered by the Unreal game engine
They never specifically say the word machinima in the behind the scenes videos, but that's exactly what it is
Dragonfire Moderator

Pulled that one out of a list of animation techniques!

"Machinima – Films created by screen capturing in video games and virtual worlds."

And I got on that track after reading this interesting article about the cinematography involved.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Whooooa, neat! I didn’t know this was a word! Great job all!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Nice going on solving this one!

As a long time member of the machinima community and massive Star Wars fan, it was a huge thrill to find out they were using it to create The Mandalorian. A lot of us were excited.

Sadly the word machinima is associated more with a now defunct YouTube channel rather than a style of animation but I thought it would make for a good riddle.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Darth_Angelus wrote:
Nice going on solving this one!

As a long time member of the machinima community and massive Star Wars fan, it was a huge thrill to find out they were using it to create The Mandalorian. A lot of us were excited.

Sadly the word machinima is associated more with a now defunct YouTube channel rather than a style of animation but I thought it would make for a good riddle.

My first thought always goes to Xavier: Renegade Angel, which I believe was filmed all in Second Life! [Edit: Looks like I'm wrong about this, but the association will always remain. XD]

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Way Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus