Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » D20 Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Is there something that drains your XP to a really specific amount? Or a character/monster you have to fight that takes a specific ballpark of XP? That last clue could really help if anyone knows anything about... D&D 'Core', because I don't know anything about the difference between core and lore, lol.

Uhh, you guys seem to doing really well so far though! Keep up the good work! I believe in you! :,) :D :)
Prescience wrote:
Beholders are CR14 11,500 XP. We can try that, or divided by four. -Monsters Manual Page 'A'?

Haha amazing! That could be it!
Dragonfire Moderator

Prescience wrote:
Beholders are CR14 11,500 XP. We can try that, or divided by four. -Monsters Manual Page 'A'?

Divided by four would be 2875 XP! Sounds like that's worth a shot.

The death tyrant in its lair, also mentioned in the same section of the MM, is 13000 XP, or 3250 XP per adventurer in a party of four.
Looks good, but that doesn't sound like a place for Level 1s on their first encounter.

We'd probably have it straight away had we any idea who the first clue is talking about. Maybe somewhere in all of there is an example of tallying up XP from a sample party.
sland wrote:
Looks good, but that doesn't sound like a place for Level 1s on their first encounter.

We'd probably have it straight away had we any idea who the first clue is talking about. Maybe somewhere in all of there is an example of tallying up XP from a sample party.

Something about loot from a beholder, or its eye, I'm not looking too deeply into that!
Dragonfire Moderator

Could be that 'premonitions just became more accurate' is a metaphor for levelling up. I'm not sure that we're talking about a level one adventurer - maybe not even a specific one.
Dragonfire Moderator

Having flipped through the three core-est rulebooks, there are no outright example encounters anywhere.
I asked the biggest D&D fan I know, whose answer was "if she fights at home then it leaves her at home duh" and then after a bit more heckling from me "Greater Portents is the 14th level class ability of divination wizards". If four fresh level 14s took down a beholder that would leave them "22,125 XP to level 15", if they won...

All of this feels like massively overthinking it though, and I have to peel myself away from this for a DND game. :D Hopefully some RPR user with the right frame of mind swings in and makes fools of us all.
Dragonfire Moderator

sland wrote:
I asked the biggest D&D fan I know, whose answer was "if she fights at home then it leaves her at home duh" and then after a bit more heckling from me "Greater Portents is the 14th level class ability of divination wizards". If four fresh level 14s took down a beholder that would leave them "22,125 XP to level 15", if they won...

All of this feels like massively overthinking it though, and I have to peel myself away from this for a DND game. :D Hopefully some RPR user with the right frame of mind swings in and makes fools of us all.

Greater Portents! That is a fantastic point.

Alternatively, at that point (after killin' the beholder) she would have a total XP of 142,875. (Level 14 is achieved at 140,000 XP.)
Dragonfire wrote:
sland wrote:

Greater Portents! That is a fantastic point.

Alternatively, at that point (after killin' the beholder) she would have a total XP of 142,875. (Level 14 is achieved at 140,000 XP.)

So the maddening thing is this might be the opposite, they killed the beholder to GET to level 14...
Dragonfire Moderator

Also a possibility! Having more things to try isn't a bad thing, though.

Seal's probably gonna be open in a couple of minutes!
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "142875 XP".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)
Heimdall, designer of this riddle wrote:
This was DND 5E. The first clue implies that the character in question is a divination wizard who just reached level 14, unlocking the "Greater Portent" ability. Her 4-person party fights a beholder (i-conic ... eye-conic). A beholder in its lair is worth 11,500 XP, which means she gets 2,875 XP. Characters reach level 14 at 140,000 XP, which means she is now at 142,875 XP.)
Dragonfire Moderator

Well, Heimdall, you wanted one that took us a while to solve! :P
Told ya we'd get it straight away once we ID'd Ms. Clue #1. I thanked my friend for knowing exactly where to look.

e:
3mDwnPA.png
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

peppermint interferon is clearly very wise in the way of D&D!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Fantastic work guys! >:D

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » D20 Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus