Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Email Notifications with New PM Titles (FIXED)

I did a quick site search and didn't see anyone else talking about this, so here goes!
Since I don't use a compatible browser for device push notifications, I have them emailed. I only use it for private messages and noticed that when I changed the message title, the email still calls it by the old one.

Example: A message comes in with a generic title "Still Looking for a RP Partner?", but eventually we start the RP in that message thread and I change it to "Witch Plot". The email still refers to it as "Still Looking for a RP Partner?".

When you have a couple active plots it's easy to tell between those generic titles who wrote back, but more than that would (probably) cause confusion. It would be nice if my notification email used the title I gave it on my end, since I know the other person/people in the PM might be using the original or their own titles on their end.
Rogue-Scribe

I think the PM title-edit is a new feature and the edit only applies to the editor’s message view. The other recipient(s) will still have the original message title unless they’ve edited it to something else which they will only see. The system keeps the original title as reference. It’s why I give thought to message titles when I originally write them... that and they used to be non-editable.
Kriptess Topic Starter

Agreed, people should use better titles than just a quick-preview version of their message. I think people do this more now that the titles are editable.
I understand why the system keeps the old titles for reference. I’m not sure yet if we as a community can address generic title problems, or if we accept that it’s a new normal and find a system fix for it.

I’m probably one of the minority that uses the email notifications anyway. Not sure if the device push notifications use the old reference titles. I would think this would be more annoying there, since (when I used chrome in the past) you’d only get a second or two to glance at the subject before it went off screen. Less of a summary of activity like the emails, more instantaneous response demanded, which requires quick understanding of what the topic is and a quick decision of if you feel like clicking now to write back right away.
Kim Site Admin

I dimly recall abandoning trying to use the custom title in these notifications when I couldn't figure out how to get it as database optimized as I wanted at the time, and then forgot about it. I'll revisit this.
Kim Site Admin

I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink this might be working now? :D
Claine Moderator

Kim wrote:

I can confirm I received a email notification with a PMs modified title :D
Kim Site Admin

Claine wrote:
Kim wrote:

I can confirm I received a email notification with a PMs modified title :D
YES *FIST PUMP*
Kriptess Topic Starter

Yipee!! Thank you!

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Email Notifications with New PM Titles (FIXED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus