Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Energy Crisis (Open)

Captain Robbins (played by HRA)

((YES!! :D I loved that show. Finished it two days ago. :D))

"That's odd..." Barbara said as the odd thing flew by. He had no idea what types of sentient life was on this planet. Hell, it could be anything. But he was a soldier, and if it was something worth the risk of killing, then he and Dodger would go after it. "Did you see that?"

"Nope. I saw nothing. Must be the cold messing with your head." Dodger said, and puffed another bit of the cigarette. He looked up, and all he saw was snow and the rig standing off in the distance. He got up, and grabbed his Boltgun, cocking it and putting the strap on his shoulder, holing the handle with one hand.

"Sinclair, Ivanova, storm coming in. Get back to B5." Robbins ordered, speaking on the comms. Dodger smiled. Just what he wanted. Barbara got up, and put the rifle on his back, and got up, taking a puff of a cigarette. "Sheridan out."

Then the Comms went dead. Off in the distance, they could see clouds coming. Huge ones, too. And a whole helluva lot of snow coming with it, too. At that one, though, Dodger's mouth almost dropped, and he stared. "I know exactly why we're being recalled..."

"Why?"

"We're going to the Rig with that as cover."

"Hey, Rob. Storm's coming in. Very big one." Duke said, staring at the radar. The storm looked like an Emperor class storm on the planet scale, and Duke was a little worried. But not Robbins. Robbins was busy checking his armour.

"Good. Check your armour. Make sure its not open anywhere. We're going out when the rest get here." Robbins said, and got his outside trench coat all ready, fluffing the collars out.
Joe Bucher (played by Jabonicus) Topic Starter

"EMPEROR STORM APPROACHING. PLEASE STAY INSIDE THE RIG AT ALL TIMES."
"Well, I guess we are being delayed. The only thing that doesn't freeze to death or freeze solid in these storms are the Rig and the Akrid. Lucky for us we are in one of those." He said, directing the Rig into the Chasm. As he got to the center of the chasm, the window iced over, and Joe leaned back in his chair. "We'll wait till the storm passes."
"A Dongo, I should have briefed myself on all the critters I never expected to encounter out here in a barren, deserted wasteland of ice." Petra murmured.

She shivered. "Emperor storm? Well that's good at least, that these things don't ice over. What I wouldn't give to have instant heating though. Stupid arm has everything but a flamethrower. Maybe I'll upgrade." She shut up and went over to the little coffee maker. Least they had something to keep them warm.
Wren Tain (played by Terel)

(Hm... if we ever need code-names I'm using names from the game Alpha Centauri! Petra can have Aki-Zeta 5 (Prime function Shell), Joe can have Foreman Domai and Wren can have... um... Datajack Sinder Roze or Colonel Corazon Santiago)

Wren looked at the iced-over window with a shiver, "Damn... that's some ice storm. Everything freezes? Even if you've got an environ suit? I mean, surely if you've got a completely air-tight suit with heating you could survive it... at least long enough to get to cover?" She looked out at the window again and grimaced. Now she knew why flying on this dirt ball could be so dangerous, that storm had come without warning and it looked as if it could have froze her ship out of the sky

(Actually... it'd be the wind and not the cold that'd do the damage, right? Since space is pretty damn cold anyway.)

With a hiss, and a howl, the door to the drop pod opened up, and in stepped Corproal Barbara and Lieutenant Dodger. Both of them had snow on them, but they were fine. In fact, they couldn't be any better. Well, until they were briefed. Dodger snarled, but did as he was told. Barbara didn't really like it, but what the hell.

Soon, all of them had their armour ready. It was airtight, like a spacesuit, and pressurized. In fact, the armour was specialized just for them in this planet. It could survive the Emperor storm, but only for a very short time. But time enough for them to get to the Rig.

"You all ready?" Robbins asked, holding up his SMG with one hand. He wore a very old trench coat, from 1978, in prime condition. It was dark green, and made of wool, with red epaulets and trip on the collar. He loved it very much. But it was just for show here.

They all chanted Yes Sir in unison, and Robbins walked out into the cold air. All five of them were outside, now, Emperor storm wreaking havoc all around them. Snow fell in huge amounts, the wind rocked them, and the cold almost froze them.

Still they walked on, right for the massive Rig.

"Not for long. Pipes freeze over, heating dies, and even if it's air tight, you can move, but the suit can't." He replied. "Envirosuits are meant to allow you enough time to escape a storm. They come out of no where. Earth methods of detecting storms don't work here."
Petra attempted to remind herself that she chose this expedition, with the help of a superior officer. Next time she wanted to complain, she would keep her trap shut.

She finished getting her coffee and peered out the window, closing her good eye just for kicks, when something caught her attention.

"Uh, guys? Something's moving out there."
Robert (played by HvyArtillery)

Back out in space...

"Standby to deploy the collector." The captain ordered. Robert sat up in his chair at this. It was his duty to deploy the ion collector, seeing that it will be deployed from the topedo tubes, abeit at a much lower velocity than any weapon would be.

Robert until the captain gave the order to deploy the machine. He quickly pressed the firing button and watched as the device flew out into space. He then initated the ship's tractor beam to bring collector to a stop a kilometer off the ship's bow.

"Activate it."

The officer working the science station went to work and finally called out, "It's active."

"Is it working?" The captain asked. The science officer paused for a few seconds before responding. With a tone of dissapointment the officer reported, "No sir, the particles aren't reacting to the device in anyway."

The captain sighed in defeat. "Very well, let's go pick it up and do some adjustments."

The helmsman was about to pilot the ship to the device when he stopped and stared intently at the bridge's veiwscreen. "Did you see that? It looked like lighting?"

Robert had seen it too. Far in the distance, deep within the nebula, a violet bolt of lighting had lanced through the void.

The captain had turned to the veiwscreen just in time to see a second bolt, then a thrid, then more, each coming closer to the ship.

"Get us out of here!" Captain ordered. The helm immiedaitely turn the ship around the made a beeline out of the nebula. However the 'lightning' was faster. within seconds, it overtook the ship, flashes repeatly hitting the hull.

"We're losing hull integrity!"

"Go to warp! Now!" The captain ordered.

The deck shook violently as the ship went to warped. "Something's happened our warp engines! Our warp field in decaying."

Suddenly the ship dropped out of warp in orbit over E.D.N III. Several of the bridge's console exploded, blinding Robert for several seconds . "We're falling into the atmosphere!"

"Sound off!" Robbins ordered, and he could barely see through the snow. He could almost not see anything, but he could try as best as he could. Then he got the answers he needed. Everyone began, one by one, to sound off their names.

"Sinclair here!" Barbara said, speaking into the comm. He was holding his assault rifle in his hands, and looked sided to side. There the rig was, not too far away.

"Ivanova here!" Dodger sounded off, clutching his Boltgun close to him in his hands tightly, as if using it for security. He looked at the stats on his screen and smiled. Good. Right on track.

"Garibaldi at the ready!" Johnson said, clutching his las LMG in his hands, the strap holding it tight to him, but enough room to hold it with both hands. The grenade launcher was strapped on tight, not even moving a bit.

"Allen working overtime." Dike said, chuckling. His assault rifle was on his back, and he was walking calmly with the rest of them. He wasn't going to hold his gun at the ready when there was obviously no need to. Yet.

"And I'm Sheridan. Alright... lets-" Robbins said, but stopped talking. He stood not ten feet away from the massive rig. And it reminded him of a titan, but different. The Titans were massive weapons of war, but these guys were not. Just miners. In his right hand, pointing downwards, was the SMG, strap flapping in the wind. He began walking forward, looking for the door. He found it. "Alright girls! Move out!"

(There are two doors on the Rig, in the front of the cockpit and the back. Hey are only reachable through wires hanging out when no one is in the Rig.)
A large red and brown ball thundered past them, rolling towards Sinclair. It was a Dongo Akrid, a heavily armored creature that rolled in a ball. Its feet ended in sharp jagged ends, and its only weak point was the end of its tail, almost inaccessible while it rolled.

Wren tried to peer through the iced-up windows, but everything was obscured and the storm outside reduced visibility to zero anyhow. She cursed, "What is it? The Dingo...Dongo... whatever the hell it is? And who came up with such a stupid name in the first place?"

Wren gripped her pistol's handle tightly, ready to draw it at a moment's notice. She hated being blinded and she hated the fact that she was stuck inside the Rig if the Dongo attacked... and she damn well hated being stuck in a mining mech instead of her Valkyrie!
Petra was getting a headache as the heat signature mark moved. "I'm picking up more than one heat signature. Aw hell, don't tell me it brought all it's buddies along."

Oh the advantage of picking up heat in a blizzard. She shifted her arm and then finally had to open her human eye and rub her temples. "It's rolling in circles, impossible to figure out a trajectory. Maybe we can at least stomp on it and see if that slows it down any?" It was that or wait for the blizzard to pass.

"How long do these emperor-class storms take to pass anyway?"

"BARBIE! JUMP!" Robbins said, diving onto the leg of the Rig. His magnetic gloves and boots latched on, keeping him attached to the Rig no matter what. Barbara saw the creature, and jumped on, clinging for dear life. The others got up onto the legs, holding on, and not falling. They began climbing with extraordinary speed, boots and gloves moving silently.

Dodger and Johnson were the last to make it up towards the door, and they held their guns ready, aiming at the creature. Even though it was armoured, these Boltguns and Las LMGs could rip a hole in the armour like they did with Tyranids.

"Anywhere from five minutes to half an hour." Joe replied, taking a sip of his hot chocolate. "There's no rush though."

The creature screamed in pain, turning to the leg of the Rig, it slammed into it, jumping back at the recoil.

Wren almost jumped when the Rig shook. Almost. She was too tough to actually jump in fright after all... or scream like a girl or anything embarrassing. She just hated not seeing anything - even in the vast darkness of space she had her sensors to peer through the void to objects that even the sharpest eye would miss... and a finger on a trigger to blast said object to oblivion. But sat here doing nothing whilst an ice storm raged outside with some big ugly alien creature roaming about... that was just not her style.

"This is the last time I let the brass ground me. Bah... when I'm back on the Illustrious I'm punching my damned flight leader. This is his fault, I know it is. He got me transferred out here because I'm a better flyer than he is... and because I'm a woman who doesn't bow down in awe to his chauvinism." She grabbed a cup of hot chocolate and took a sip, "Ah! Ow! Owww.. burnt my tongue!" She had an even more sour expression on her face now, "Hell with punching him.. I'll kill him. Twice."

The men held on for almost dear life when the leg was hit, shaking about. But the gloves and boots held on. Luckily, if they open fired, the wind and cold would cover them, making too much noise and cold for the sensors to pick it up.

"Fire!" Robbins said, and the two heavy hitters, Dodger and Johnson, open fired with their heavy weaponry. Dodger fired 20mm Boltgun Hellfire rounds, loaded with poisonous acid, which hit, penetrated the armour, exploded, and released it's load into the creature. Johnson just aimed, and opened up with a huge stream of Las discharges, each burning into the creature.

Robbins and Duke meanwhile began working on the door, screwing around with it trying to get it opened. Duke had a device strapped onto the side of the door, which began hacking into the computer system silently, working stealthily into the firewall.
If Wren hadn't been voicing her opinions about a certain superior officer, Petra would have been doing so.

Instead, Petra yelped in surprise, grabbing the nearest sturdiest object to keep from falling over. If she fell, it would be hell to pick herself up again.

"Are we being attacked?" Petra asked, switching over to her infrared. "Dammit, next time I'm upgrading to x-ray vision, this isn't working."

Hefting her mechanical arm, she opened a small panel and flicked a switch, before closing the panel again. "Alright, I suggest if no one wants a bullet, you stay out of the line of my arm." She was ready and waiting, one gun in her hand, the other gun was her hand as she spun to face the door nearest her.

The storm was starting to pass, and in blue letters across the main screen was written "SAFE TO EXIT RIG, EMPEROR STORM DECREASED TO JOKER STORM." Joe grabbed his pistol and his shotgun. The front of the Rig opened. "Let's get that Dongo!" He said as he propelled down.

The Dongo screamed in pain, rolling in the opposite direction, towards the storm. It left a trail of glowing orange liquid, that quickly melted the snow it landed on.

lost_planet_3_dongo_by_bthr_zero_x-d63slnd.png

"Got it!" Duke said, and Robbins smiled, opening the door. They hit the wall of the rig on the outside, backs to it, not moving a bit. If someone was in there, then they didn't want to be there when they fired. Slowly, though, Barbara held out a mirror, looking inside.

(Here is a quick overview of the Akrid while we wait for everyone..)

'Spider'
Acts: A spider like Akrid that climbs walls and jumps. It has sharp teeth between its three parts of its mouth. When protecting its hive, it will attack, and occasionally explode upon impact. It is currently unknown what they eat.
Class: S
[img]http://i0.wp.com/gamingtilldisconnected.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Lost-Planet-3-Artwork-sepia.png?resize=700%2C700[/img]

'Pack hunters'
Acts: Only hunts in packs, and shares many hunting traits as wolves. They mainly eat Sepia.
Class: M
1000px-Goonroe.png

'Birds'
Acts: Attacks in swarms, and a single bullet is enough to kill them. It is currently unknown what they eat, but it is suspected that they somehow photosynthesis due to their anatomy.
Trilid.png

'Piranha'
Acts: Fish that, other than being highly poisonous, are the same as earth piranhas.
Class: S
Piranha.png

'Salamander'
Acts: Semi-aquatic salamander that uses several attacks to defend itself, including crushing with it's feet, tail, using its tongues as weapons. Its legs are able to be cut off under heavy fire, and losing enough legs to fall will allow it's mouth to be entered. It can be easily killed from the inside, but due to his digestive juices, it is to be exited as soon as possible through its tail exit.
lost-planet-2-arte-013.jpg
(I'll add more later.)

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Energy Crisis (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus