Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Energy Crisis (Open)

Joe Bucher (played by Jabonicus)

On Earth, energy is almost gone, sources depleted. Groups of men left under the lead of NEVEC, hoping to find new energy. They found E.D.N. III. A planet full of a new burnable no-exhaust energy fuel. Thermal Energy. Blood of the creatures there, running through the planet and creatures, making life possible in the frozen mountains, oceans, and tundras throughout the world.
You were hired by NEVEC to help the giant robotic Rigs find their way around, and to tackle the nests of inhabitants too small for the Rigs to handle. Storms always found a way to ruin things, even here. We labled them from their severity, Novice, Blizzard, Joker, King, Emperor. Anything caught in an Emperor storm, even the natives, were frozen solid, dead. Our Rigs could withstand them.
Rigs: Utility_Rig_Render_02.png

IC: Joe entered the Base ship, Echelon. He walked into the control center, looking for the others. He had found an Akrid nest built on top of a thermal energy reserve, and he could use some help getting to it.
Clop-CLOMP. Clop-CLOMP. Clop-CLOMP. The ringing sound of metal on metal every other step was a persistent noise that Petra had long since learned to grow used to, though doubtless it would take her new squad members some time to adjust. Since the accident that had all but disintegrated her left side, she had learned that being a cyborg had its usefulness, especially in a climate not designated friendly toward human inhabitants.

Still, as often as she was used to seeing spare metal parts, whether upgrading her left side, or tending to her more human half, she couldn't help but be awed by the enormous Rigs she had been sent to help out. Sent, was perhaps, too mild a word for it. Ordered, was the term her superior had used.

She had been ordered to help out NEVEC in order to secure an energy source that would help her and many others stay alive. Ironic how she had used to fume over needing to eat every few hours--now she had to rely on power to give her robotic implants the necessary capability to move. What she wouldn't give to have her humanity back...

She entered the ship, Echelon, having heard the latest report about an Akrid nest raid. She could use some excitement--or action rather--and this seemed like as good a use of her abilities as any.

Stepping into the control center, she flipped back her white-blonde hair with her human hand and surveyed those present. No doubt they had heard her coming at any rate and she was bracing herself to ignore the stares.

"Petra Strolark, reporting for Akrid duty!" she said, snapping off a smart salute.
Joe Bucher (played by Jabonicus) Topic Starter

"No need for a salute, we are all equal here. We get our orders the same as you do. I just happen to be getting the messages." Joe replied. "The rig is ready, we just need to take one this time. Hopefully we won't need to use it for combat much." Joe said. "Also, welcome aboard. This is hell froze over. Also known as E.D.N. III." He said, turning to her.
Petra dropped the salute at once and took in Joe Bucher's appearance with interest. "Well, dash all a girl's dreams, why don't you. I was hoping for some action." She patted her robotic arm, specially weaponized.

"And if this is hell frozen over, buddy, it's paradise compared to what I've been through. E.D.N. III, at least someone's got a sense of humor around here. Unless of course things get worse from here on out." She frowned briefly. "So, any idea how many of these Akrid things there are in a nest? I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with them."

"Well, they multiple rapidly when they sense danger, and they don't mate conventionally. They lay eggs behind a different kind of akrid. They give this akrid nourishment as it attaches itself to a wall, it protects their eggs. These ones aren't very dangerous. Neither of them. We call the first kind 'Spider' Akrid, because they can climb up walls, and attacks like a jumping spider, jumping towards you, biting, then jumping back. The other is a 'Spawner,' for obvious reasons. It's best to take out the spawners fast, or you will be overwhelmed quickly. The third kind we MIGHT face are pack hunters. E.D.N. III's take on wolves. No fur, just rocky flesh. You'll know it's weakspot, like every other animal, it's weakspots glow red because of their veins full of the energy we are after. However, only a small portion of blood is usable. You'll know it when you see it, it glows, and is the first kind to come out. Pack hunters are the most dangerous we will be facing, it has claws, and as it suggests, hunts in packs." He said as he walked toward the Rig hanger. "Any questions?"
Petra nodded as Joe gave her the run-down on the species she would be encountering. "Right, Spiders, Spawners, and Pack Hunters. Weakness is the red glowing spots. I think I got it."

She followed after him, into the Rig hangar, trying not to stare up at the giant robots. "I suppose now would be a terrible time to mention my fear of spiders?" The grin on her face showed she was kidding before a real question came to mind. "Can their blood--the fuel source--be used raw? Or does it need to be processed first?"

"Don't worry, we nicknamed the spiders because of what they do, not what they look like." Joe said, as he walked over to a Utility Rig, used for heavy lifting and large repairs, but was still able to handle a beating. "And here is the amazing part, we used to have to heat up water with by burning energy to get more energy to get steam power and electricity. This stuff however, emits heat for hours to days, depending on the concentration. This is when it's raw. It's so abundant here some of are tech runs off it." Joe explained. "Imagine it, hook up a system with blood, and boom, you have energy for a LONG time. We have men trying to use it in medical procedures." He added. "So far it hasn't been successful in that field, but neither was our first attempt to use this stuff as energy."
Following Joe over to the Utility Rig, she listened intently to his explanation. "I suppose then it's better not to come into contact with the hot liquid." Well, she had only half her human flesh to be exposed--so that should be some comfort. Although what it would do to her cyborg parts, she wasn't sure she wanted to know.

She glanced quickly at him. "How long have you been doing this, exactly?"

"About six years. NEVEC decided that this station was so effective it didn't need replacements. Then a progress inspector came a few weeks ago to find that I was the only one left." Joe replied, as two ropes dropped down from the cockpit of the Rig. Joe grabbed hold of one, giving it a tug. It pulled him into the cockpit. "Just get a firm grip and tug." He explained.
Petra paused. "The only one left? What happened to everyone else?"

She watched as Joe grabbed the rope and went sailing upward, before doing the same herself. She half-doubted it would lift her off the ground, given her added body weight in metal, but the mechanism didn't seem to mind. A brief laugh escaped her in the exhilaration of being carried upward, before her feet landed with a solid thud-THUD on the Rig.

"Dead. Froze to death, caught in an Emperor storm, sickness, Akrid attacks, structure collapse..." He replied, sitting down in the cockpit in the pilot seat. "We have some new scientist now, a doctor, but that's it so far besides you. The only reason I'm still alive is because of this Rig. It may not be built for fighting, but it can be used that way."
Petra winced. "I'm sorry to hear that. I know what that's like."

She joined him in the cockpit, taking up one of the other spare seats available and scanned the items, buttons, dials, and levers that were available to her.

"Fighting in a Rig...seems like the weather is the most hostile thing on the planet. Other than the Akrids. But then I haven't been here more than a few days." Just long enough to adjust.

"That's why we have environment suits. Keeps us warm, to a degree." Joe replied, starting up the rig, closing the cockpit. The large machine started to move, rather fast for it's large sized as it headed towards the hanger doors. "The weather alone doesn't kill you. It weakens you, then the Akrid find you." Joe said. "The worst thing possible is being injured with no weapons in Akrid territory."
"Ah." Petra grinned and settled herself in the seat. "Well, unless I run out of bullets or the ability to use my arm, I don't think that'll be too much of an issue with me." She patted her metal arm.

She jerked as the Rig moved suddenly and then she grinned as she peered out to watch the path they took. "Piloting one of these things must be more fun than flying a ship..."

"It's hard at first, but then it becomes routine." Joe replied. The hanger door opened, and a blizzard of snow rushed in. The Rig walked out, and the hanger door closed behind them. In front of them was a cliff, with dozens of over jagged ice mountains lay ahead of them.
Petra suppressed a shudder at the sight of so much snow. In the past she hadn't minded the fluffy white stuff; but now it brought back images only of death and loss.

"Why does every planet have to be covered in snow and ice," she muttered half under her breath. "For once can't we find a toasty warm planet with palm trees and friendly natives?" But no, that'd be too easy. And she'd probably find herself bored to tears with such a place. She knew herself too well.

"And to think this is a 'vacation' for me," she added. "Maybe I'll try to tame one of these Akrids for fun..."

"It wouldn't be much use. Each akrid has evolved to kill each other. Too cold for plants here." Joe replied as the Rig started walking down a path into a ravine. "Earth is rare, most planets are too cold or too hot to support life. E.D.N. III adapted."
"I knew it would be too easy," Petra replied. "It's amazing anyone survived long enough on this planet to discover a fuel source, given how welcoming it is."

Her attention was focused on the path as they descended into the ravine. Claustrophobia began to niggle at her, but she shoved the thought aside. It would be a pain in the butt if they got the Rig stuck down here. It'd be an even bigger pain if they had to return without the Rig.

She fell silent, letting Joe concentrate on handling the giant machine down the narrow--what felt narrow--ravine.

Joe pointed at a coffee/hot chocolate maker built into the inside of the rig. "Helps calm you down or warms you up, I always have a cup or two brewing." He said, noticing her tension. A wall of ice too large for the Rig to walk through soon stood in front of them. "This might get bumpy." He said as the right arm started its three drills. The arm moved forward, colliding with the ice. "The last storm was an Emperor storm, and blockage either forms from the storms cold or the winds knock blockage down." He said, moments before grinding was heard. The wall of ice started to collapse, and the arm moved to the next weight support. "Once the base of it is weak, the Rig can walk right through it." Joe said over the noise.
Petra only glanced at the coffee machine briefly, before watching in complete and utter horror as Joe brought the Rig's arm up to begin drilling away at the ice wall in front of them.

"Oh gods," she muttered, attempting to draw her knees up to block the view. When that didn't work (stupid robotic leg) she hastily attempted to divert her attention elsewhere. The coffee machine perhaps wasn't such a bad idea.

"Caffeine calms you down?" Not that it wound her up, but, well, she could use a cup of something familiar. Coffee would have to do in this case. She tried not to think about worst-case scenarios.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Energy Crisis (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus