Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Energy Crisis (Open)

Joe Bucher (played by Jabonicus) Topic Starter

(I don't see why they would. Again, this is before NEVEC was considered bad. At the time, they were seen as a group of people who could fuel humankind again. NEo VEnus Corporations. This was before their military and power campaigns.)
Captain Robbins (played by HRA)

((Then again, this could be the reason for it. I mean, if my Empire was looking for energy and didn't want you going after a planet they wanted... so, I could be the one that started it, but made it look like you. Besides, its an SS team.

If not, I'll have people just working it.))

(Really what they are hated for has already happened, but they have managed to hide it so far. They've made several bad calls, and only a few future ones will be plain to see. You're welcome to, but there wouldn't be much use it blowing up the Rig, it isn't armed for battle. The most it can do is hold down a Class L or G Akrid and drill it's weakspots. NEVEC isn't allowing it to have weapons attached, or else it would be considered a military campaign instead of a mining campaign.

((I'll just take it over, hold it hostage. :P))

"Captain Robbins, Captain of the HRAS Bismarck, Captain of the Spetznaz special forces boarding party of the SS. Lieutenant Dodger, 1st Lieutenant of the SA Storm trooper division. Sergeant Johnson, Sergeant of the SS Death Korps division. Corporal Barbara, Corporal of the SS Paratrooper division." The General, General Arik said, walking in front of the group, looking at them each. He had his hands behind his back, and smiled with a deadly smile. "And of course, 1st Lieutenant Duke of the 1st Bismarck.

"Each of you was chosen for this mission for a different reason. Robbins, for your leadership and ability in battle. Dodger, you are ruthless and you'd kill if ordered. Johnson, you are just... scary... especially when you use your Mustard Gas grenades. Barbara, you're diplomatic, but you know stealth. And Duke, you are the techie of the group. Do not fail me. Get in there, disable and hold the rig hostage. It won't be armed. We hope. You'll Fast Drop in from our modified Thunderhawk in 5. Good luck."

And with that, Arik left the room, which shut close fast. Each one of the men looked at each other, and grabbed their weapons. Robbins grabbed the SMG Lasgun with the drum mag charge, and a few more mags with it. He also grabbed a .50 side arm, and a bowie knife, and some clips. He had the beret on, with a white combat helmet, and white combat armor and underclothes.

Dodger grabbed a 20mm boltgun and a laspistol, with some clips. He, too, grabbed a bowie knife, and wore a white fur cap with some small armor plates on it. He wore the same outfit as Robbins. Johnson grabbed a LMG Lasgun with a backpack charge, and a .50 side arm with clips, and a bowie knife. He wore a white trench coat with armor underneath, a white fur cap, and a white gas mask with black eyes.

Barbara and Duke just wore simple white armor, nothing more, and carried lasgun assault rifles, las pistols, a bowie knife, and some other equipment. When each man got what he needed, they stepped into a very small one man drop pod, and waited. Then the green light was given, and the five people were shot down from the Gunship, which flew off as soon as it let them go, disappearing away.

The five one man drop pods grouped together to form a large five man drop pod and hit the ground not too far away from the rig, appearing as a small meteor, but instead a small HQ. When they hit, they made a large puff in the snow, and disappeared later.

Joe looked at his wrist device. "Strange, a new heat source is coming from nearby. Must be a few Dongos." Joe said. "The Dongo is especially deadly, it will curl up in a ball and crush you by rolling over you. The worst part is that it's only weak point is its tail, which you can only get to by escaping its roll."
Wren Tain (played by Terel)

(I might not be able to reply tomorrow - I have a workshop at 5-6pm, so by the time I get home it'll be 7pm and I'll be totally ruined. I'll see how exhausted I am)

Wren smiled and nodded, "Thank god for that. I might be military, but I hate all that 'yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir' and saluting rubbish." She shrugged when the heat source and the creature were mentioned, "A couple of blasts from the cannons on my fighter or my shotgun should put down anything." She tilted her head, "But seriously... isn't there one life form on this ice ball that isn't deadly, nigh-invulnerable except in specific weak points or both? God damn it I'm sure someone in the brass has it out for me. I always get sent on the dirty, dangerous jobs... and the suicide missions. Those are real fun."

"I'll tell you which ones are the ones who have body armor. You'll probably know them anyway." He replied. "Akrid alone aren't very deadly, but in groups you don't stand much of a chance."

Robbins and his men got up, unbuckling themselves in the drop pods. Instantly, the walls separating each pod from the other drew up, and out, forming a large pod where each man could stand up. It was heated, and the pod's seats turned into beds. Each man stretched out, and began looking at the scanners.

"Ahh, so the Rig is out there, eh? Looks rather interesting. Know when we get at it, Jake?" Dodger asked in a thick British accent, smiling. He had a cigar in his mouth, and chuckled. He couldn't wait to get in there, bash in some heads.

"In a bit. We gotta get some rest, first. And run some tests."
Petra laughed. "My thoughts exactly," she agreed. "As for suicide missions--those aren't so much fun. And this one seems a little better than that. Just bug-hunting, from what I can gather."

She glanced back at Joe. "Are we heading back into the rig then? Or are we taking a new approach?"

"I'd say we head back to the Rig. See if we can get to that thermal pocket." Joe replied, double checking his wrist-device. The energy signatures were still there, but they weren't thermal energy.
Robert (played by HvyArtillery)

A few light years away from the planet, the UES Posiedon was inside of a purple ion flux nebula, studying the massive cloud in order to see if it would be ideal to test the United Earth's new energy technology, the Ion Converter. With this technology, the United Earth Federation would no longer need to rely on corporations such as NEVEC considering harvesting nebulea for energy was much more cost effective than mining a liquid on a cold, desolate planet.

Commander Robert was standing at his assigned station, tactical while the ship's captian, Captain Hendricks sat on the command chair, reveiwing reports on the ship.

One day. Robert thought. One day I'll have a command. He sat at the tactical console, relatively bored, considering no one needed tactical functions at the moment. He sighed and looked at the large white speck where NEVEC was running their mining operations, hoping for something of interest to occur soon.

The NEVEC operations were expensive, but it was the easiest source of energy. Preservation was the one thing NEVEC didn't need to worry about. No one remembered the launch 40 years ago that contained a mining crew on destination for E.D.N. III. No one was supposed to. It was reported to be a test launch, testing the atmosphere for E.D.N. III. NEVEC was the current leader in energy production, ahead of BP and other fuel companies.
NEVEC was recently reported to have armed guards, wielding advanced technology guns, but those were rumors. No proof yet that can be said than actual NEVEC workers. The miners didn't work for NEVEC, NEVEC just paid for their trip their, their equipment, and paid them for the fuel they found.

Wren smirked, "Suicide missions are never fun. They tend to involve a lot of people dying, and I'd look far less pretty dead." Once the Rig was mentioned she nodded, "Hope there's enough room in that thing for me? I can fight in the ground, but if I'm honest... I've never liked it. I'm a pilot, I prefer being up in the air." She unclipped her pistol and checked that, then her shotgun, "Well, I'm ready as I ever will be for those Akrid things." She shook her head and grinned, "Should of brought my industrial-strength bug spray."
Petra grinned and headed back into the rig. "Pilots never like being grounded, not sure why. Can't fight too well when you're surrounded by potentially explosive fuel. Can't say I'd disagree with you on the bug spray though."

She hefted her metal arm across her lap once she was settled in the rig, checking that everything was a go. Flicking back the hair that covered her artificial eye, she closed her human one and looked around. Wren and Joe showed up easily enough in infrared. She opened her eye again.

"Ready when you are," she said.

Wren clambered into the Rig and got settled next to Petra, "We're made to fly." She explained, "Flying is... freedom. We can move faster and hit harder than anyone on the ground and... we don't like our wings clipped. We're free spirited people... all the good one anyway. When you're stuck planet-side you're like a prisoner, gravity's slave. People like me don't do well locked up, even by an invisible cage." She smirked, "Besides if you do get hit you're usually vaped instantly by your ammunition and fuel stores blowing, a quicker way to go than a lot of ways. Of course if you're not, then you might have a bit more of a horrific death starving to death or freezing... but I'll take the risk. Better than being bug food."

Barbara sat on the ridge of the small snow crater they had made, and looked through the scope of his sniper rifle. Slowly he turned the adjusting wheels on the side and top of the scope, zooming in and adjusting the sight. Right in the crosshairs was the front window, perhaps the cockpit, of the Rig. Right in the crosshairs, he could see them. But he didn't pull the bolt back on the rifle. No, he wasn't about to shoot them.

"Alright... judging by the adjustments I made, the numbers on the scope's readout, and the size of the object, I'd say it was around one to three miles away, give or take a few dozen meters." Corporal Barbara said, still staring through the rifle. He waited a bit for a response, then his comms crackled to life.

"Roger that, Sinclair. You and Ivanova hold position as long as you can, then fall back. Maintain radio silence as long as you can. Sheridan out." Robbins said, and the comms went dead. Barbara, or by his codename Sinclair, smiled. Robbins, or codenamed Sheridan, was always a colorful character.

"You heard him, Ivanova." Barbara chuckled, and finally got his face out of the scope, sitting down in the crater and warming his hands. It wasn't really a crater so much as it was a foxhole. Just a place they dug up to get down in.

"Barbie, don't ever call me Ivanova unless we're on radio." Dodger said, grabbing his lighter. It was a smokeless lighter, so they wouldn't see it unless you were in the foxhole with him. He cupped his hands around the lighter, and lit the cigarette, flipping it closed. Very, very thin smoke curled up around his face, but that was about it. He took in a puff, and let one out.

"Fine. I think you'd look good in a woman's uniform, though."

Back at the base, Duke was working on the computers and sensors. He hated this work, but it was useful and needed. Besides, it was better than sitting around doing nothing like Johnson, who was tossing a ball around inside.

"Duke, don't you hate working?" Johnson said with a toothpick in his mouth, leaning back against the wall of his bed. He had a grin on his face.

"Yes. But what would you rather have, a warm place, or a cold outside?" Duke chuckled, looking through his glasses at the wires. He connected them, and the sensors burst to life. When they said they would like the drop pods, no one said some assembly required.

"Okay, girls. Lets go over code names while we can. I'm Captain John Sheridan, and you are, Johnson?" Robbins asked, and walked over to the two.

"I'm Chief Michael Garibaldi, and Duke's Zack Allen. That's all, right?" Johnson asked, already bored.

"No, Barbie's Jeffery Sinclair, and Dodger's Susan Ivanova." Duke chuckled, and smiled. Fun names. "When do we leave?"

"Soon."

((Anyone get the TV reference in my codenames? :P))

Joe started the Rig, turning it back on the path they were on before. "Bug spray doesn't work, we've tried." He said. Something brownish red rolled by ahead of them, about a tenth the size of the Rig.
Petra winced just a little at the description Wren gave of dying. "Well, at least part of me is still here, as opposed to vaporized."

Then as Joe turned the Rig around, she caught just a momentary flash of...something. She closed her good eye to focus with the cybernetic one, but it was gone. "Weird..." she tapped the metal on her face, hoping it wasn't going loopy in the new atmosphere.

"Well, then we need to invent a bug spray that'll kill these suckers."

(Babylon 5 References? :D )

Wren smirked, "Agreed. someone needs to get their R&D Department working on Ultra Bug Spray; kills xeno bugs in a minute or less." At the flash of a red-brown something going past the Rig Wren put her hand on her pistol, ready to draw it, "What was that? That Drongo thing you were talking about?"

"Dongo." He corrected. "It's harmless unless in groups. Then it gets cocky and they will attack the Rig. In groups, that is. I'm pretty sure that one is solitary." He replied. "Unless it has established territory, rare for one moving around like that, it won't bother us."

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » The Energy Crisis (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus