Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What inspires your characters?

Bone_Crow

xxx
I write things down and use them later. often with a bit of RNG.

Sometimes I'll see something and like "Guess I'm doing this now."

But it's also fun to take an idea and just start twisting it into something unrecognizable.
I just copy what I like from fiction and scrub the serial numbers off it.

Sometimes I take 2 ideas and mash them together.
Usually, I would either get my inspiration from images, music, or a dream, and a bit of it from my life and others around me.

73f8ad867e7cb46157f0b5ce18e03ddf.gif
Rogue-Scribe

I made brief mention in this thread about what inspired me to make characters. I also went deeper into it in this thread.

To answer the questions asked here...
  • What do you look for when finding inspiration for a character?
    Depends really. Inspiration for a character usually comes to me in two ways. One is the situation in an RP calls for an NPC to fill a plot need, The character is lightly fleshed out and used, and sometimes these ‘o the fly’ characters become more and get developed deeper. The other is I think it would be col to have a certain character and I get into creating a backstory for them, the later find a suitable RP for them to be in.
  • Do you have a favorite archetype, idea, or trait you like to build your characters around?
    Not really.
  • Whats your favorite character you built around that piece of inspiration?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • What uncommon advice would you have for a person making a new character to try?
    Just some general stuff. Make the character profile interesting. Give a little information, and make the edges of the profile page look like it isn’t just some generic ghost.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What inspires your characters?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus