Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with aspergers

I've seen a growing movement to drop the term "Asperger's Syndrome" (due to its origins and issues in defining who has Asperger's vs who has some over form of Autism) and sticking more generally with "Autism" - a bit like how ADD ended up being shifted over under ADHD as the "inattentive type." I've also seen folks who say they enjoy referring to themselves as "Aspies" and such for various reasons, even finding comfort in the sound of the word. Do you have any opinions about that matter yourself?

Although I don't think the ADD/ADHD example there had the same weight riding on it, I remember being pretty annoyed with that change. I think part of it was just not liking that a change had been made in general, but mostly I was annoyed that it hadn't gone the other way. ^^; Having the less detailed term used as the base made more sense to me. It would have allowed naming that basically worked out as "disorder that has attention problems with a subtype that also features hyperactivity," but they went with "disorder that has attention problems and hyperactivity, except there's a subtype that doesn't have the hyperactivity part."
Thatnerdychick Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
I've seen a growing movement to drop the term "Asperger's Syndrome" (due to its origins and issues in defining who has Asperger's vs who has some over form of Autism) and sticking more generally with "Autism" - a bit like how ADD ended up being shifted over under ADHD as the "inattentive type." I've also seen folks who say they enjoy referring to themselves as "Aspies" and such for various reasons, even finding comfort in the sound of the word. Do you have any opinions about that matter yourself?

Although I don't think the ADD/ADHD example there had the same weight riding on it, I remember being pretty annoyed with that change. I think part of it was just not liking that a change had been made in general, but mostly I was annoyed that it hadn't gone the other way. ^^; Having the less detailed term used as the base made more sense to me. It would have allowed naming that basically worked out as "disorder that has attention problems with a subtype that also features hyperactivity," but they went with "disorder that has attention problems and hyperactivity, except there's a subtype that doesn't have the hyperactivity part."

So, I wasn't even aware this was a thing. However I was diagnosed very young by an accredited doctor who specializes in such things. I am of the opinion as per what other people have observed and what I have observed that the diagnosis was correct. As for dropping the term? no I don't think people should. Autism would better fit as a blanket term with more specific labels being for certain types.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with aspergers

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus