Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Timeline Widget.

Dog

Thought it'd be neat to have a widget where a player could create a timeline to show specific important times of their character's life. Sort of how Furcadia did, for the game's tenth anniversary.
I like this idea. A timeline would probally pretty nifty.
Kim Site Admin

Hmmn. I will ponder how something like this could work.
With magic and magic!

... throwing my two cents out, feel free to go "Whoops sorry dis nawt work", but what if you drag-drop the widget, and it shows up as a straight line with 0 lil' off-shoots, but it's got some + button akin to the "always never" charts, and it adds a lil' line and a text box for the dates & adding info.

Then it like... adjusts itself according to how much hooblah you've got. Unless you've got a lot of hooblah. Then... heck, I don't know. This makes sense at 9:00 PM!
Kim Site Admin

It does make sense. I have a feeling it'll be a nightmare to make integrate with all the various templates, although not impossible.
In the even it doesn't work, we could just make our own.

C'mon, community, we've got CREATIVE JUICES (and an art program) to make dat work for you, yeah?
Hramn (played by Yuka)

I like this idea :) All of my characters have a lot of timeline events with historical ones often tieing into time-period relevant events and having a widgit to display such aside from just the plain text one would be useful.
Kim Site Admin

I suspect this would be useful for groups, too. There's lots of settings that have specific time lines.

What sort of time indices would it use?
... what are "time indices"?

*listens to an imaginary crowd yell "Programming-not-knower, go away!"*

No shush, I am here to learn! *sits in a chair and pulls out notebook*
Kim Site Admin

Like, years, months, days... Would it deal in real time? Imaginary chunks of time? What system would you use to tell it what time you were dealing in? That could potentially become quite complex.
Oh!
Hm... what if you could tell it what dates/era to work with kind of like the journal date & time stamps? But be like... hold on, the gears are slowly turning... aaand they stopped.

By imaginary chunks of time are we talking about eras that don't match up with current time frames (for example, it's 2011 AD, but my Exodus continuity's corresponding current year is 1512 SV) or made-up terms for time?
The most common use of time related events I've seen on characters went by years with the occasional month backing. I've not often seen down right specific dates. But then again this could be to different time basis like how star wars has say 34BBY in comparison to say a regular ol 1999 AD. Cause most of the ones I see end on present time in the characters life and major events are labeled at 5 years ago, 7 years ago etc.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Why not have the time indicies as a text box, so people can name them whatever they like?
Kim Site Admin

We could do that. It defeats any chance at making the timeline have accurate spacing, though, since it'll just be text rather than an actual unit.
darth_angelus wrote:
Why not have the time indicies as a text box, so people can name them whatever they like?

I think that would be a really good idea. For example.. I wouldn't mind doing a timeline for my character, but I'd do it by age for her. It'd be nice to do it for TGT in a similiar way, mainly because people all use different times, some use it from Kasuria timeline, some use it modern time line. It'd be really handy if it just regenerated boxes to fill in.
Kim Site Admin

Maybe I could make it possible to add blank entries, if you wanted some spacers to indicate long lengths of time passing between things. That could help.

The more I think about this widget, the more I like it.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I look forward to trying it out with Lord Darth Angelus and his rather long history ;)
Kim wrote:
Maybe I could make it possible to add blank entries, if you wanted some spacers to indicate long lengths of time passing between things. That could help.

The more I think about this widget, the more I like it.

That'd be really nice! I suppose I can do it within a text box, but a widget that would input my information into a pretty, organized list would rock.
Dog Topic Starter

Look at all these replies!

I must say I didn't exactly think too far into it, as far as how it'd work.. but everyone's suggestions are pretty awesome.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Timeline Widget.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus