Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Private/"work in progress" character (PLANNED)

Arbutus

Hello. I hope there wasn't a suggestion like mine before. If there was - I apologize for not noticing!

TL;DR - I think it would be a cool feature if you could mark the character as "private"/"work in progress" so you can set up your character's profile without worrying about people seeing spelling mistakes, code bugs, and such things.

I wanted to suggest an option to make a character visible only to the user who created it. It would be a good thing for people who prefer to organize their character's profile and fill it with final information instead of updating it over and over again. If it comes to me, I am often very anxious about people seeing my character unfinished, or with code errors - sadly, I don't have any tools for checking BBCode offline/privately. And also, it would be nice if the text formatting fits the style of the character's page without editing everything, being stressed that anyone will see your epic fail. XD

I hope my idea isn't that bad, and that I wrote everything understandably. :) I did my best to make my English bearable!
A common way the character thing is managed is to set it to "Anonymous" until you're ready to show it off. Anonymous characters won't be displayed on your profile or in any other way attached to your name, and the chances of someone seeing the unfinished anon character, the finished (optionally) public one, and remembering to make any association between them is really low. It's not common to randomly stumble across anonymous characters in general if they aren't posting. Or you could use the character's tagline or a text widget on the character's main page outright stating that the character is a work in progress.

Unsure what you mean about the text formatting thing. Character styles already have text formatting customized to go along with the rest of the theme.

I don't think tools to check BBCode offline really exist, either, depending on the context. BBCode is not as universal as other languages that get used, so it can vary even between one site and another on how a tag is written or which tags work, etc. RPR does have a reference for how most BBCode available here works, though, on this page in the Help documentation.
Arbutus Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
A common way the character thing is managed is to set it to "Anonymous" until you're ready to show it off. Anonymous characters won't be displayed on your profile or in any other way attached to your name, and the chances of someone seeing the unfinished anon character, the finished (optionally) public one, and remembering to make any association between them is really low. It's not common to randomly stumble across anonymous characters in general if they aren't posting. Or you could use the character's tagline or a text widget on the character's main page outright stating that the character is a work in progress.

Unsure what you mean about the text formatting thing. Character styles already have text formatting customized to go along with the rest of the theme.

I don't think tools to check BBCode offline really exist, either, depending on the context. BBCode is not as universal as other languages that get used, so it can vary even between one site and another on how a tag is written or which tags work, etc. RPR does have a reference for how most BBCode available here works, though, on this page in the Help documentation.

Thank you for the advice with anonymous characters. :) If it comes to text widgets, I actually use them, but still, I'm a bit freaking out when I see something wrong with my character's profile.

Thank you so much for your feedback ;)
I can assure you that all of us make embarrassing mistakes sometimes. ^^
Kim Site Admin

Interestingly something like this IS on my development path, hopefully for 2022 :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Private/"work in progress" character (PLANNED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus