Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Social issues

So today my pe class went to a park right seems normal and all but after like 5-10 of walking this new kid in our clas find some spear thing and break some of it and starts to throw it at the ground and all. I start to get sarcastic with him cause I keep saying he could hurt someone with it if he isn’t carful with it not a second later he threatens me that he would kill me with it…

20 minutes later he talking with me as if that threat was never a thing, he acts kinda and talks with me and joke about…

I’m afraid of this kid…I want to know someone’s opinion on this
Not downplaying this of course, and I totally see how it could be scary, but maybe he was joking? I know there are a lot of people out there (myself included) who joke around with their friends a lot and do threaten each other, yet everyone knows it's a joke and we would never actually hurt each other. Usually, though, we also mention that we're joking, but I suppose some people might not if they think that it's obvious they were joking or didn't think it was that scary. So I have three questions to ask about this to possibly narrow it down:

1. What sort of tone did he say that in?

2. He's new, yes, but have you two hung out a decent amount? Joked around maybe?

3. What sort of 'different' was he acting like from the threatening point to the kind one? Was there any change in mannerisms, expressions, or overall presence of him?
starwolf Topic Starter

He was serious about stabbing me, yes we have joked about but he his tone got serious when he said that
starwolf Topic Starter

Also his personality switched within mere seconds to joking to a serious tone of like I’m not joking around and I’m kinda scared, cause he said other things when we were getting back on the bus
Well then I would recommend telling a teacher. Threats are serious things, of course.
starwolf Topic Starter

I did she said she would write him up if he actually did anything worse than threatening me
She should at least talk to him about it. If anything worse does happen then she would feel hella bad for that. At least she should talk to him. And that would be the bare minimum. Especially if it scares you so much. Teachers are supposed to care for their students as well, and waiting until something worse happens is completely irresponsible. My teachers will write kids up for giving other kids anxiety attacks, and it should be the same at your school. That's horrible if it's not.
starwolf Topic Starter

It’s fine I promise
Hopefully they'll still keep an eye on the kid. Could have been a joke that came out weird (I've known people able to sound super serious while joking), could the kid got annoyed and lashed out verbally (and may never go further than that), could be the kid has some real underlying issues, could be something else. Any of those could benefit from some guidance, though in what way varies. Could just be working on what's appropriate and when to smooth out social skills would be helpful; could also be that the kid needs something intensive in one way or another.

An aside, I'd encourage you to change the title. The "double personalities" thing sort of makes it sound like you're referring to DID, but what you're describing sound more like some sort of social issue, difficulty with emotional control, that sort of thing. I understand that the sort of mood and tone shift you're describing can be very jarring, but there are plenty of contexts (often with different sets of emotions & expressions involved) where such big shifts are pretty normal. There are also some mental health issues that can make that sort of thing stand out more. Referring to it as different personalities, however, seems like a bit much and unwarranted, especially as people with DID are so often depicted as violent and dangerous (they're no more likely to be violent or dangerous than any other person).
starwolf Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
Hopefully they'll still keep an eye on the kid. Could have been a joke that came out weird (I've known people able to sound super serious while joking), could the kid got annoyed and lashed out verbally (and may never go further than that), could be the kid has some real underlying issues, could be something else. Any of those could benefit from some guidance, though in what way varies. Could just be working on what's appropriate and when to smooth out social skills would be helpful; could also be that the kid needs something intensive in one way or another.

An aside, I'd encourage you to change the title. The "double personalities" thing sort of makes it sound like you're referring to DID, but what you're describing sound more like some sort of social issue, difficulty with emotional control, that sort of thing. I understand that the sort of mood and tone shift you're describing can be very jarring, but there are plenty of contexts (often with different sets of emotions & expressions involved) where such big shifts are pretty normal. There are also some mental health issues that can make that sort of thing stand out more. Referring to it as different personalities, however, seems like a bit much and unwarranted, especially as people with DID are so often depicted as violent and dangerous (they're no more likely to be violent or dangerous than any other person).
thank you very much I wasn’t sure what do call it but I did change it for sure and all

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Social issues

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus