Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Puzzle 1 Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Puzzle 1 Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these puzzles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. In puzzles, all information you will need to solve it is contained within Epic Week materials.

Click here to visit the location of the Puzzle 1 Symbol
Guesses I've tried for this one so far:
- July 24th
- July 24th, 39th Year
- July 24th, 39th Year M.O. Uni.
- 50th Anniversary
- July 23rd - July 1st ("Drumbeat Article July 24 39th year mo Unicorn" mentioned that "As is common under Graystone's reign, the celebration was slightly postponed from the actual anniversary date")
Okay, I'm thinking this could be related to the Magna Carta ? I know it's not exactly a full change of leadership, but that is the document that limited the powers of the British monarch. It's celebrated June 15, should we give it a shot ?
Just_me wrote:
Okay, I'm thinking this could be related to the Magna Carta ? I know it's not exactly a full change of leadership, but that is the document that limited the powers of the British monarch. It's celebrated June 15, should we give it a shot ?

Nevermind- bro, I have a bunch of history work, and my mind keeps defaulting to history. Kinda embarrassing 😳
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Just_me wrote:
Just_me wrote:

Nevermind- bro, I have a bunch of history work, and my mind keeps defaulting to history. Kinda embarrassing 😳

Yeah, the puzzle ones relate to the research library materials for the event, but this was still a really cool idea! :D
Dragonfire Moderator

So the actual change in leadership would’ve taken place in the 989th year of the previous millennium. But how long would the postponement of festivities have been?
Dragonfire Moderator

Looking on the sort of timescales that’s people lived by, it’s possible that a ‘slight’ postponement could have even been a year, hrm.

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "July 23 989 Millennium of the Dragon".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)

There is a Drumbeat article published on July 24, 39th year M.o. Uni. that describes a party to commemorate the 50th anniversary of King Graystone being crowned. We know that they were 39 years into the Millennium of the Unicorn at the time of this publication, and that a millennium is a period of 1000 years. So, take away the 39 years accounted for in this millennium, and the coronation must have occurred 11 years before the end of the previous millennium (1000-11 = 989). This gives us the year and an approximate month and day - the article mentions that "the celebration was slightly postponed from the actual anniversary date" so we know that the 24th, when the celebration happened, is close to but not the actual anniversary date.

This gives us a range of something like July 20 989 to July 23 989 as possible answers. There's just one problem – these folks typically write dates including the name of the millennium, such as Millenium of the Unicorn, and the date we have occurs in the millennium BEFORE the era of the Unicorn. What did they call that millenium?

The December 4 37 letter from Huwoline Brewriver asks a friend what the King was like "back when she was a pebble," back in "the days of the Dragon," a hint that the previous millennium was that of the Dragon.

Answer formats I would have accepted included (not case sensitive!):
  • July 23 989 Millennium of the Dragon
  • July 23rd 989 Millennium of the Dragon
  • July 23 989 Dragon
  • July 23 989 m.o. Dragon
  • July 23 989 mo Dragon
  • July 23rd 989 Dragon
  • July 23rd 989 m.o. Dragon
  • July 23rd 989 mo Dragon
Dragonfire Moderator

Hahah, I found the reference to the Dragon just a minute before rollover. Whew!

Oh amazing job!

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Puzzle 1 Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus