Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Puzzle 9 Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Puzzle 9 Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these puzzles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. In puzzles, all information you will need to solve it is contained within Epic Week materials.

Click here to visit the location of the Puzzle 9 Symbol
Is the last part of how to the last clue cut? For me it stops at “someone”.
It was missing, but looks like it's fixed now.
Dragonfire Moderator

Quote:

A've git ye tae th' cavern ye wanted, deeper than a' body haes ever gaen afore. Ah dodged unstable shale kips 'n' meltrock tubes 'n' ah didnae foonder ony neighborhoods while ah did it. 'n' aye they're telling me, we need mair, gang deeper, gang deeper, gang faster.

Well, ah kin gang quicker, bit ye'll bide tae regret it. Ye'll either bide a lang time gey inconvenienced by a' th' quarried garbage strewn ilka steid a body kin donder, or ye'll bide a gey short time as an eruption eats yer coupon, bit ye'll regret it yin wey or anither. We've bin pushing th' meltrock snib harder than we ever hae afore thae bygane months. Ovation cannae digest it sae fleet ony langer or there'll be a bout o' indigestion that'll scorch baith 'boon 'n' below.

You blether tae th' meltrock stewards lik' ah hae, 'n' they'll tell ye that if we pat in mair than 16,000 cubic meters per day fur th' rest o' th' year, then we're cooked. Sae that's exactly howfur fleet a'm aff tae howk. Wi' th' standard 3 meter diameter tunnels, tis aff tae tak' me 265 days 'n' some chaynge tae reach th' neist cavern thay think they've detected, 'n' nae a day sooner. 'n' that's if none o' mah equipment breaks doon or hee haw. Yi'll waant tae gang quicker, mibbie we gang skinnier, bit that'll be anither kind o' regret ye'r aff tae hae me wash up again.

An Olympic-sized swimming pool holds 2.5 million litres of water, by the by. (thank the genres, the notes are all in metric.)
Woops, edit below
Y5PS32SV5M.jpg

"--oc announce aug 14 78

Hear ye hear ye

Children, the old, and the infirm are bid to immediately seek shelter in their nearest emergency volcanic shelter.

All other citizens, arm yourselves! Take your ancestors' blades from your mantles, grip your mining picks, take the cleavers from your kitchens and buckets from your aquifers and come to the defense of the ovation deeps! A twisted creature of sunbright flame is climbing from our deepest shaft and will be upon us within the hour

May the dark genres protect us!"

Possibly something? EDIT : I'm thinking this could be a lead for the first clue?
The deepest shaft is 4070 meters and that converts to 4070000 liters?
Dragonfire wrote:
Quote:

You blether tae th' meltrock stewards lik' ah hae, 'n' they'll tell ye that if we pat in mair than 16,000 cubic meters per day fur th' rest o' th' year, then we're cooked. Sae that's exactly howfur fleet a'm aff tae howk. Wi' th' standard 3 meter diameter tunnels, tis aff tae tak' me 265 days 'n' some chaynge tae reach th' neist cavern thay think they've detected, 'n' nae a day sooner. 'n' that's if none o' mah equipment breaks doon or hee haw. Yi'll waant tae gang quicker, mibbie we gang skinnier, bit that'll be anither kind o' regret ye'r aff tae hae me wash up again.

This bit of research was written on Nov. 22 77 which leaves 39 days till year end. Don't know if this matters but maybe?
Dragonfire Moderator

Alrighty. Keeping track of calculations:

1131 * 2.5 mil = 2827500000 L

That's equal to 2827500 cubic metres (a measurement mentioned in the journals). I... think that's probably talking about some of the dirt displacement, yeah?

So that gives us, working at 16,000 cubic m a day, 176 and three quarters-ish days of work. (Well before the 265 days needed to reach the next cavern, it looks.)

So, then, looking at how much ground they gain in a day (hahaaaa), the tunnels are 3m diameter shafts. Volume of a cylinder is pi*r^2*h, so we're looking at 16000 = pi*1.5^2*h.

h = 2263.5369684 m per day of digging. Sooooo that gives us... a depth of roughly 398382.5 m by the end of 176 days, assuming this is the straight-drop shaft, and if we need the more exact number... 400009.4236 m dug. (But what depth did they start at?? And *was* it the straight-drop shaft, or do we need to take into account the bent tunnel to get around the lava?)
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

giphy.gif
Dragonfire Moderator

Something’s not right here. That depth is way too massive.

There are, at least, 265 days between Nov 22 and Aug 14. Maybe they did manage to actually get to the nearest cavern.
FastIllfatedAmericanindianhorse-size_restricted.gif ^^ the math going right over my head.

Yeah the thing that emerged - emerged on aug 14 - about 265 days after that note. Seems like it should be 16,000 per day cubic meters from the 4070 starting point.

But Im stumped how the 1131 swimming pools ties in - or why a 3 cubic meter diameter tunnel would matter xD

Second bonus clue released

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "4.67km".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)

There was some math in this one. I was pretty sure someone out there would enjoy a math word problem in addition to all the other puzzles this year.

Thakgral's diagrams shows two potential caverns. The one we're interested in is at 4070m deep. Later, Thakgral complains that though he has reached the desired cavern, he is being ordered to dig deeper still. There's just one problem -- the lava locks ("meltlocks") that they use to remove unwanted stone from their sealed in environment can only cope with 13,000 cubic meters of stone per day. Thakgral predicts that at that rate of being able to dispose of removed material, it will take 256 days to excavate the full length of the 3m diameter tunnel. Solve for height, add to the depth of the original cavern, boom you've found a balrog.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Puzzle 9 Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus