Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Character Feedback Thread

Yo! I thought it might be nice to have a thread where you can ask for feedback on your characters and people who want to help can respond with their thoughts. Personally I feel like ... maybe this has the potential to be useful into perpetuity? Maybe if the staff agree they can pin it so that it's always there if someone wants some constructive feedback on their character? But otherwise, I thought it was a helpful idea. I often make silly mistakes when making my characters. Maybe I left placeholder information up that's incongruous with the rest of the character, or I wrote something really tired and scatterbrained that came out a bit incoherent. Or I just completely failed to consider an alternate way something could be interpreted. Or maybe I'm just looking to make my character more enticing to RP with by improving the way they're presented! I assume I'm not the only one who needs or wants a little help sometimes, so this is the thread for that.

As always, a bit of respect and kindness is critical to keeping feedback constructive and productive. Here are some examples of good ways to phrase feedback:
  • Suggesting additional information you feel would improve the profile / be helpful to know upfront
  • Asking clarifying questions about information on the profile, explaining why the answer wasn't clear if necessary
  • Providing ideas on how to improve the character's presentation to better serve the original goals of the character profile (Ex: I see what you're going for and this might help)
  • Providing minor aesthetic suggestions phrased as considerations rather than criticism (Ex: Placement/Layout, Organization, Image/Video choices)

Things that aren't so much criticism but matters of personal taste, and should probably be avoided unless asked for
  • Changes to the actual core elements of the character (Ex: Name, Identity, Appearance, Backstory / Personality Beats, Interpretations of Canon, Powers)
  • Major aesthetic suggestions (Ex: Completely different styles, new colors)

And of course, if you see anything that looks like it might be against the rules, such things are outside the scope of this thread and should be brought to the mods.
Roll Light (played by Marin) Topic Starter

My humble request is for feedback on Roll! I like what I've got for her, but I feel like maybe I could do more / revise what's there to better sell the concept.
@Marin, for Roll_Light. I think she's super cute. I like how easy to read your layout is without being cluttered. You seem to have a consistent theme with the template style you chose which is something I like to see. You have detailed information, but you leave room for discovery for those who want to RP with her. Your RP guild lines and rules as well as RP suggestions are clear and interesting, which is a plus for those who would approach you to RP with her.

If you like music, you might like to add some music for her, but honestly, to me this is a well fleshed out character profile without bein overly cluttered. Great job! :)
Jupiter (played by Rayne_Storm)

I would like to offer my newest character, Jupiter for some feedback! I really like what I've got for them but I'd love to hear what/if someone else has and feedback on how to improve, revise, or add anything! :3
Marin Topic Starter

Falyn wrote:
If you like music, you might like to add some music for her, but honestly, to me this is a well fleshed out character profile without bein overly cluttered. Great job! :)
Thank you~! Now that you mention it, I know just the music for her profile.

Jupiter wrote:
I would like to offer my newest character, Jupiter for some feedback! I really like what I've got for them but I'd love to hear what/if someone else has and feedback on how to improve, revise, or add anything! :3

Hmmm... Is that a custom style? I really like it. Let's see... Y'know what I was left wondering after reading their profile? Their ears; are they floppy/flexible like a dog's or an elf's, or more rigid like a human's?

Oh! And when I think about moths, I usually imagine them being kinda fluffy. They don't technically have "fur", but they have the insect equivalent called setae. And I found myself wondering if Jupiter had setae 'fur' or if they had exposed skin like a human. The mention of freckles made me suspect it was skin, but I was left less than sure.

Marin wrote:
Falyn wrote:
Thank you~! Now that you mention it, I know just the music for her profile.

Jupiter wrote:

Hmmm... Is that a custom style? I really like it. Let's see... Y'know what I was left wondering after reading their profile? Their ears; are they floppy/flexible like a dog's or an elf's, or more rigid like a human's?

Oh! And when I think about moths, I usually imagine them being kinda fluffy. They don't technically have "fur", but they have the insect equivalent called setae. And I found myself wondering if Jupiter had setae 'fur' or if they had exposed skin like a human. The mention of freckles made me suspect it was skin, but I was left less than sure.

This feedback actually helped quite a bit! As for your question about if it's a custom style, kind of? I based it a bit off of ALTY_Heave's character styles because I just found it more organized. As for their ears, I made sure to specify that they are pretty floppy much like a dog's. Then, about the skin, I hadn't really thought about that! But now that you mentioned it, I'll probably go back and fix that a bit so that their skin is a little more fluffy & I'll most likely try to keep the freckles mainly because I just love freckles. XD
Marin Topic Starter

Jupiter wrote:
I'll most likely try to keep the freckles mainly because I just love freckles. XD
You're very much welcome! Oh and if you've ever wondered what say the spots on a cheetah are called, those are called speckles! They're basically the same thing as freckles, but without the implication of skin if you wanted their face to be fluffy. So you could say they have a (color/lighter/darker) speckled face. I'm sure you could leave it saying freckles and it probably wouldn't confuse many people. But the option's there if you want it.

Marin wrote:
Jupiter wrote:
I'll most likely try to keep the freckles mainly because I just love freckles. XD
You're very much welcome! Oh and if you've ever wondered what say the spots on a cheetah are called, those are called speckles! They're basically the same thing as freckles, but without the implication of skin if you wanted their face to be fluffy. So you could say they have a (color/lighter/darker) speckled face. I'm sure you could leave it saying freckles and it probably wouldn't confuse many people. But the option's there if you want it.

Oh! That actually really helps, thank you so much for all the feedback!! I'll definitely be using it to update them :D
Rachel (played by MagicMuffin)

Hi! Could I get some feedback on Rachel? She's my first OC and I'm not sure if I could've done better. >w< I was thinking about making her a character sheet for every addition of D&D, just to show I can, but I wasn't sure if it was actually a good idea or how to display it.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Character Feedback Thread

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus