Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Summer Soiree: Planetary Potluck (CLOSED)

It was always a nice boon when Andrew's military leave overlapped with some social event or other to which he'd like to attend. Like killing two birds with a stone! Admiral Aliprandi's second-born was not as picky as his older brother Arthur, who felt the need to appear on duty even during his day off and selected only large scale events where he could represent the Aliprandi Clan to his grandparents delight; for Andrew, time off was all about having fun and taking a deserved break from work.

So when he had received the invitation, shortly after his battallion came home on a leave, he hadn't thought twice of it. Something about the woman in the recorded holographic message had struck him as vaguely familiar; a split second later, she had adressed someone off-screen as "Elliot" and suddenly Andrew remembered where he had seen before. Of course! She's that scientist lady who had lost her... He still wasn't sure what the lost critter was; his first assumption had been a more ordinary pet, and hopefully not her kid that he had mistaken for a pet - only for the truth to be even weirder as apparently this... being had to be approached cautiously. He still remebered his utter confusion; not one of the moments he had been proudest of.

Well... now hopefully he'd have the chance to make up for it!

In his best satin shirt and a sleeveless denim jacket, looking very dapple in royal blues and slate grays, visor-like sunglasses covering his laughing eyes, he stepped out of the platform with two food trays wrapped in slick white paper. He had given his cook-bot specific instruction to prepare a selection of horse d'oeuvres - and, just to apologize for his poor first impression on the lady of the hours, a tray of pastries as well.

Hopefully, that'd be enough to redeem Colonel Andrew Aliprandi's reputation, and image... right?
Eleanor Newmann (played by GingerHades) Topic Starter

Eleanor was alerted to the teleporter: another guest! Wow, this place was lively already and it hadn't been that long before Eleanor had opened up for business. And this next guest of hers was one she remembered interacting with in the past... Wasn't this that guy that tried to help find Elliot when they had escaped from her body whilst she was having a nap?

A kind man, to be sure... however, before she was able to tell him what Elliot was, he went off to look for them, and Elliot returned shortly thereafter. Regardless of the hilarious circumstances, he was quite a welcome sight.

"Hey! Don't I know you?" Eleanor proceeded to head over. "Aiden? No, that wasn't it... was it? Ahem, forgive me, I'm not good at remembering names. But I could've sworn we've met before. I hope I'm not mistaken?"

Elliot was drawn in by the commotion, just as they had just finished handing out plastic cups to the attendees and were in the middle of putting back the extras. One more plastic cup, coming up!

Elliot wormed their way over to Andrew, however, he seemed to be a bit distracted. Elliot rapidly approached, almost going underfoot, to get his attention and hand him a cup.

Elliot was just trying to be courteous... what could go wrong?
The Operator wrote:
"Oh, no love! It's quite alright. I was just debating if I should run and get something is all," The Operator said quickly. "Nice little selection she's got! Just trying a bit of everything! I happened here quite by accident. A rather pleasant surprise really. It caught me a bit off guard and I just wish I'd been better prepared is all. Um, so... what brings you here?"

With her cup of teal-colored punch in hand, Xihuitl paused to ponder this a bit.

"You know, I do believe the same as you, actually. It was a nice surprise and I risked nothing to be away for a little while. So, I thought, 'Why not?'" She took a small sip from her cup. The tropical fruity taste was certainly nice! "I am. . . something of an anthropologist myself, if you would like to use the term. The opportunity to study human customs was too good to pass up." With that, she glanced around. "I do feel like I am learning a great deal about your people. Presuming you are also a human. . . ?"

Expectantly, her head canted as she looked to the Operator, although she also seemed a bit worried. Hopefully it wasn't a rude thing to ask. Or assume.

Meanwhile, Andrew is granted a shy wave of her feathered hand. She was by the tables now, but still in view of the teleporters.
Starlit-Wisdom (played by Riik)

Starlit-Wisdom plucked up the cup offered to them in curiosity, giving an awkward bow to the one offering it. They gazed the receptacle uncertainly, turning it around in front of their large eye. Yes, this was a typical vessel other beings used to transport consumable liquids... alas, it had no present use for the void-dancer.

Too polite to put the cup down, they stood awkwardly with both hands now once again full. Their ears drooped a little in exasperation as they tried to work out a way to worm out of this situation. Perhaps if they simply waited a few minutes to put the cup down, nobody would notice...?
Xihuitl of the Axalocua wrote:

With her cup of teal-colored punch in hand, Xihuitl paused to ponder this a bit.

"You know, I do believe the same as you, actually. It was a nice surprise and I risked nothing to be away for a little while. So, I thought, 'Why not?'" She took a small sip from her cup. The tropical fruity taste was certainly nice! "I am. . . something of an anthropologist myself, if you would like to use the term. The opportunity to study human customs was too good to pass up." With that, she glanced around. "I do feel like I am learning a great deal about your people. Presuming you are also a human. . . ?"

Expectantly, her head canted as she looked to the Operator, although she also seemed a bit worried. Hopefully it wasn't a rude thing to ask. Or assume.

Meanwhile, Andrew is granted a shy wave of her feathered hand. She was by the tables now, but still in view of the teleporters.

"Human? Me, oh yes, of course, love," The Operator replied. "There's quite a lot of us around the galaxy, you know? It's not often I find a random teleporter leading to a spontaneous party in a maintenance tunnel, though. I'll admit, it was a rather nice surprise. Working with underground cabling is a bit tedious. Not normally, what I do. Of course, it's been a nice bit of a change from working in a building all day. So where do you normally do your research? In a lab or some sort of facility?"
The Operator wrote:
"Human? Me, oh yes, of course, love," The Operator replied. "There's quite a lot of us around the galaxy, you know? It's not often I find a random teleporter leading to a spontaneous party in a maintenance tunnel, though. I'll admit, it was a rather nice surprise. Working with underground cabling is a bit tedious. Not normally, what I do. Of course, it's been a nice bit of a change from working in a building all day. So where do you normally do your research? In a lab or some sort of facility?"

Xihuitl's gaze flickered to Starlit-Wisdom briefly, then to the floor. She noted their awkwardness, but thanks to her own, she'd said nothing on it. Instead, she answers the question.

"Oh, yes," she said. Her answer came so naturally, it was almost painful to her. "I work on a space station, actually. Above a trade world. It is great to meet other species there. Humans are not a common sight, I am afraid, but I do speak some human languages that are known by a wide population, such as Mandarin Chinese or English. I am still working on my French, th-though I do not wish to brag!" She preened a feather with her fingers nervously. "M-My name is Xihuitl, by the way."

The name was pronounced sounding like 'she-wee-ch', the ending sound similar to a human using their cheeks instead of their tongue to say it. Possibly a bit difficult for those that only knew English.

"It is nice to meet you! I am to presume you work in communications then?"
"Oh, yes," she said. Her answer came so naturally, it was almost painful to her. "I work on a space station, actually. Above a trade world. It is great to meet other species there. Humans are not a common sight, I am afraid, but I do speak some human languages that are known by a wide population, such as Mandarin Chinese or English. I am still working on my French, th-though I do not wish to brag!" She preened a feather with her fingers nervously. "M-My name is Xihuitl, by the way."

The name was pronounced sounding like 'she-wee-ch', the ending sound similar to a human using their cheeks instead of their tongue to say it. Possibly a bit difficult for those that only knew English.

"See-wee-cha... no wait, sorry, that's not right at t'all," The Operator replied trying to repeat the name back. She blushed a bit. "Sorry, I only speak this one. Did you call it... English? In most parts of the galaxy it's known as 'Basic', a few backwater world call it 'Common'. Then there's Lut'ka-pee. They call it 'Loo' which sounds like where you go to do your business in most other places."

"It is nice to meet you! I am to presume you work in communications then?"

"Yes, actually," The Operator replied pointing at the ITC logo on her uniform. "Intergalactic Telephone. They're the biggest provider of telecommunication services across the galaxy. People just call me The Operator because that's how they ask for me. You know, 'ello Operator, can you help me place this call?' You probably 'eard me voice a few times. Ever dial an out-of-order number? That's me that tells that you misdialed and to check your number again and that sorta thing. I haven't done too much of that as late since the linemen's union has been on strike. Since then, I've been flyin' around the galaxy in a little van testing space payphones, checking connections 'n all that. I'll admit, it's been nice to get out n' about, travelin' the galaxy n' all."
Andrew's smile broadened as the host seemed to recognize him; better yet, she didn't appear to hold any hard feelings for his poor figure when they first met.

"Andrew", he corrected her pleasantly, bowing his head in greeting both to Eeleanor and the avian woman nearby. He had heard of bird-people before, but this was the first time he came across one of them. "Colonel Andrew Aliprandi. It's nice that you remember! I, uh, took the liberty to bring some refreshments, to apologize for that little earlier mishap - where can I place--?"

He didn't finish the sentence. As he walked out of the transporter, suddenly his left foot collided with something that made him lose balance. Since he didn't think he'd have to watch his step, and both his hands were busy with the trays, the Colonel Aliprandi could not prevent the disaster. He fell face foward and the trays flew off his arms, their contents - sweet and salty alike - raining in every direction and all over the nearby guests. A canape landed upside down right over Elliot's head, some rolls with smoked salmon and cucumbers crashed between Xihuitl and the Operator, and an unfortunate blue-and-yellow macaroon plopped in the cup that Starlit-Wisdom had been trying to put down, with a loud splash.

In all that, Andrew remained face flat on the ground, too stunned to even dare look up and estimate the damage. Alright, now I wake up and find out I dreamed everything... But seconds passed and he did not switch from sleep to consciousness.

... if grandma Isabella gets wind of this, she's gonna MURDER me, he thought with a wince.

A gasp escaped from Eleanor as she watched the chaos unfold. Her heart sank as she watched the food rain down on the entire venue. "Oh my goodness!"

She sprinted over, as fast as she could manage, to Andrew's side, in order to help the poor man off the ground. "Are you okay?! What di-"

And that's when the scientist rooted out the cause. A hideous glare locked onto Elliot, and she watched as they had to unstick themself from the bottom of Andrew's shoe, as if they were sentient chewing gum. The blue mass of slime shook itself around for a moment before retaking shape, and once all three eyes met Eleanor's, they promptly sank into a puddle.

"ELLIOT!" Like grabbing a cat's scruff, Eleanor took hold of Elliot and cradled them in her palm. "Look what you've done!"

Elliot's antennae sank as they gargled a line of incoherent gibberish.

She sighed, placing the slimy symbiote onto her shoulder so she could resume helping Andrew to his feet. "I am so, so, so sorry for this. I did not mean for this to happen. It seems like Elliot got underfoot."

Elliot gurgled some more, practically melting.

"Listen, Elliot, I know this was an accident. You wouldn't do something like this on purpose, you're not that mean," Eleanor pinched the bridge of her nose. "But you need to be more careful. You're small. Not everyone can see you on the ground."

Elliot retook their preferred shape and bobbed their head in understanding.

"Right. Can you apologize?" Eleanor held out her hand towards Andrew, serving as a platform for her assistant. "After this, I would appreciate it if you helped clean up the mess you've made."

Elliot slithered down Eleanor's arm, before reforming in the palm of her hand. They looked Andrew straight in the eyes, before letting out another line of gibberish.

It was completely unintelligible, but considering the circumstances, one would think it translated to 'I'm sorry.'
Starlit-Wisdom (played by Riik)

Starlit-Wisdom swished around the unexpected contents of their cup in confusion, then carefully crept over to the nearest surface to carefully plant the vessel down, stepping away awkwardly in an attempt at stealth, hoping the distraction elsewhere was enough.
When they felt they were far enough away to be safe from being linked to the discarded cup, they clutched their tablet to their chest and let out a sigh of relief through their six nostrils that sounded like steam escaping through small values.

After a couple of blinks as they sought to calm themselves, Starlit-Wisdom edged closer to the heart of the party, curiously watching events unfurl. The small squishy creature who seemed to be centre of events reminded them slightly of a jelly shapeshifter they had once met - though only slightly. Amorphousness seemed to be the only real thing they had in common. Well... that and an apparent penchant for causing trouble.
Xihuitl gazed at the Operator with those wide dark eyes, nodding in wonder as she went.

"You sound very busy," she commented. "You must hear all sorts of languages then! Frankly, I am a little envious. I wish I could-"

And then she was assaulted by salmon rolls. She chirped in surprise as they went flying, looking quickly to their source; the newly arrived human who had taken a tumble. Apparently, this was in thanks to Elliot, as much as the creature felt too cute to blame.

"O-Oh my god! Are you alright?" She watched as Eleanor helped Andrew up, directing her question to him.

Setting her drink down, she reached for some napkins to take by the fistful. First, she offered some to the Operator.

"What a mess, what a mess. . . not to worry, i-it can be cleaned up."
"You sound very busy," she commented. "You must hear all sorts of languages then! Frankly, I am a little envious. I wish I could-"

The Operator was about to respond when there was a commotion. Their host seemed very upset. A small alien seemed to have gotten under another guest's foot.

"O-Oh my god! Are you alright?" She watched as Eleanor helped the man in question up.

Setting her drink down, she reached for some napkins to take by the fistful. First, she offered some to the Operator.

"What a mess, what a mess. . . not to worry, i-it can be cleaned up."

"Thanks, love," The Operator replied accepting the food but looked on distracted as she watched the little alien being scolded. She suddenly realized this was the being that had gotten in the way of the camera during the recording.
While everyone was distracted, a small box-like robot appeared in the teleporter and rolled out. It resembled an antique toaster that traveled on four wheels in each corner and was covered in lights, dials, and buttons. A metal flag that raised and lowered was on one of its shoulders and an antenna telescoped up from the other. In between was a metal stalk with 2 oversized eyes. Above the eyes was a red lightbulb.

A plastic space convenience store bag hung loosely from its antenna. It paused as its eyes slowly rotated around scanning the area and studying all of the guests. It appeared there was something going on as several beings were gathered around and appeared to be cleaning the mess. The little robot did not immediately appear to spot whomever or whatever it was seeking.
As people started to react to the chaos, Andrew had to acknowledge that no, he hadn't dreamed it all up.

"... I'm fwine, aff wright", he mumbled, still face flat, as he tried to find within him the courage to scramble back to his feet and look at the disaster that sure awaited him. When he heard the host's voice apologizing, though, what remained of his honor managed to snap him out of his present misery. He propped himself on his elbows and rolled over on one side before scrambling back to his feet. "No no, it's okay - I'm sorry, ma'am, I wasn't looking and ran over someth--"

But his blood froze when she heard her call out for...
Quote:
"ELLIOT!" Like grabbing a cat's scruff, Eleanor took hold of Elliot and cradled them in her palm. "Look what you've done!"

'Oh no! I stepped over the not a ferret... not a dog... not a cat?' Inwardly, Arthur quietly started to panick. First he mis-specied whatever this Elliot was, now he even walked into it... he just hoped he hadn't accidentally hurt the host's beloved pet!

"Oh stars, I'm sorry-" he began, standing up with an utterly mortified look. 'Elliott' had probably scampered off, because he couldn't see it anywhere - of course it didn't help that he was till searching him on ground level! Looking up at Eleanor he startled at the realization that his food offerings had fallen all over, and on the guests themselves. The bird lady and the woman near her were surrounded by salmon rolls, and even Eleanor had a splotch of - probably one of his cook-bot's blueberry tarts or something on her shoulder! Frantically, he reached for napkins too, continuing to apologize; "It was an accident, I should have paid attention, I'm--"

And then twhat he took for a blueberry smear suddenly changed shape and was presented to him on the palm of Eleanor's hand; three pair of eyes peered at him from a face unlike any other species he had seen before!

"..... uh?" He had to refrain from asking aloud, What is that thing?, which would have won him even less points by now. "T-this is... Elliot?" he stammered. Just then, the little creature said something... 'What, even talking?' He hadn't even touched the punch yet and his head was alread spinning. Peachy!

Still, it was in his character to try and make light of even social mess like the one he just made! "... ah, well, if that was a 'Watch where you walk next time, you big goon'.... I actuall deserved that," he half-joked, still handing out napkins to whoever might need them. "Really, I hope I didn't damage... him? I'm sorry for all the mess..."

Elliot suddenly slid through the gaps in-between Eleanor's fingers, dripping onto the ground. Then, they slithered past their host's feet and began picking up food from the ground, 'absorbing' it as if they were a vacuum cleaner. Cleanup was already going by quite quickly.

Eleanor sighed. "Oh, no need to be sorry. This was an accident," Eleanor glanced over at the parasite. "Neither your fault nor Elliot's. It happens to the best of us. I do feel bad, though. You must've gone through a lot of effort to make that food..."

She turned over to the tables. "Well, if we're lucky, if any landed on the tables, we might be able to try what you've made. And if not, maybe you can try what I've already got set up!"

She had noticed a little robot had just arrived to the potluck. "Oh! Somebody's here. I should... go greet them. I'll be back to help with cleanup!"

And with haste, Eleanor was off. This time, watching her step to make sure Elliot didn't get stepped on again.
The little robot tilted its eyes upward as a human woman in a lab coat saw him and moved toward him. Suddenly, it made a series of whirs and dings as if processing something. It paused, there was the ding of a bell and the flag on its shoulder bobbed up and down. It appeared to be controlled by a chain on a gear. There was a backfiring noise and a funnel on the side of its body below the antenna belched outa cloud of white smoke or steam.

"Um...," it said in a monotone voice before becoming still and quiet once again. It just stared at the host expectantly with its eyes locked on her. It was a bit unsettling. The red light bulb suddenly came on above its eyes.
Hecate (played by Ultimate.Gaymer)

They always say curiosity killed the cat, but sometimes it just causes them to be teleported into the middle of a party.
Hecate had been having a pretty typical day, frolicking through the bright and sunny forest without a care in the world, when suddenly the little cat had happened upon a large clearing. And in that clearing, was a strange metal cube. She had floated over to the contraption, intent on smacking it with her paws, when suddenly it unfolded and began to play a pre-recorded message, wherein a person invited anyone who might hear said message to come to a potluck. Hecate did not recognize the voice of this person, but the name 'Eleanor Newmann' did sound a bit familiar... Though she could not place her paw on exactly where she had heard it before. It didn't matter. Hecate had already decided she wanted to attend this event, so the kitten hovered over the teleporter, then plopped down onto it with a little "mrrph!" There was some blue glowing and a weird tickly feeling, and then suddenly Hecate was in a place with big tables and lots of people, from human-looking ones to a bird person to a little robot, and some others she wasn't sure how to describe. This was so exciting!
The kitten quickly scampered down from the large cube and onto the grass below, opting to walk for a while instead of levitating. She dashed towards the nearest person, careful to not actually run underfoot, emitting repeated mews and mrows, hoping for treats or ear scritches or even just some new friends.
Xihuitl leaned back from cleaning up the table and sighed. At least she had managed to salvage some of the canapes and rolls that landed on the table onto a plate, messy as they were now. She might as well try one, in fact! Delicately, she used the tips of her fingers to pick up a slightly smushed canape and bite into it.

"Oh," she noised after swallowing. She turned to Andrew thus. "It is delightful! What did you make these with?"

Something fuzzy then brushed against her scaly leg. She looked down and gave a short yelp; some hairy four-legged creature was rubbing on her! Unsure if it had broken in or she simply didn't notice it before, she fretfully froze in place.

"Um, w-what is that?" She pointed to Hecate at her feet. She had to admit, the noises the creature made were pretty adorable. . . but it could also be a dangerous monstrosity! One could never tell, especially to this skittish bird woman.
As the commotion died down, another newcomer arrived; a cat! The Operator hadn't noticed it due to the mishap with Elliot and another guest. She glanced down. Apparently, the kitten was making Xihuitl uncomfortable. It took The Operator a moment to make what should have been an obvious connection.

"Um, w-what is that?" She pointed to Hecate at her feet. She had to admit, the noises the creature made were pretty adorable. . . but it could also be a dangerous monstrosity! One could never tell, especially to this skittish bird woman.

"What? Oh, it's okay love," The Operator replied. "It's just a..."

She paused, as she put it all together. Glancing down, she wasn't sure what to do. Did the kitten belong to someone? It appeared to just be playful and didn't seem to mean any harm. The Operator debated how to handle the situation as to not offend anyone.
Hecate (played by Ultimate.Gaymer)

Hecate paused mid-step and mid-mew, looking up at Xihuitl and The Operator with a puzzled expression. She felt a bit worried, realizing that she was scaring one and confusing the other. This was very much not her intention; she just wanted to make friends. But maybe these people didn't like cats? Sometimes people felt that way, and although Hecate didn't really understand it, she also didn't want to make anyone even more uncomfortable.
After a moment of standing perfectly still with one paw hanging in the air, Hecate began to back away, blinking apologetically up at the bird-person. She wasn't going to leave the party entirely, not yet. There were other guests, and perhaps the cat-dislikers (or at least, that's what she thought they might be) would be okay with her sticking around as long as she kept her distance from them in particular. So she turned, walking a little ways away with a now much more subdued demeanor. The kitten sat down quietly in the grass to observe the party guests, close enough to be seen by anyone who might want to come say hello, but hopefully far enough that no-one would be uncomfortable.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Summer Soiree: Planetary Potluck (CLOSED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus