Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What are some of your unpopular music opinions?

I like Taylor Swift and think she is quite a talented artist with a good head on her shoulders!
I literally cannot stand Bohemian Rhapsody.
People who dislike rap music haven't found the right songs.
1. Dubstep is NOT just Skrillex!

Okay, for the most part, what people usually mistake for "dubstep" songs by Skrillex. Now, I have zero problems with his music at all, but it does suck when someone shits on an entire genre of music when referencing one prevalent artist. It's like saying, "I hate pop music! It's all just women talking about sex!" (Doja Cat)

2. Video game OSTs are actual music.

Pretty self-explanatory here.

3. Electronic music isn't all one thing.

We have a ton of sub-genres. To list some, there are Bass music, disco, house, trap, EDM, hardcore, and dubstep. I frustrates me when people say it's all the same.
wilts wrote:
People who dislike rap music haven't found the right songs.

^blammo

i used to hate early hip-hop. like... HATE it. it was so corny and jank and dull and just really difficult to keep between my ears.

BUT THEN I LEARNED.

i learned about the FCC in north america, and the changing socio-political times behind the evolution of cultural expression for early rap and hip hop artists. sure it was corny... because it was paving the way for musical evolution. like trying to compare Fred Flintstone's car to a Tesla, they're probably both pretty bad ways to travel but for COMPLETELY DIFFERENT REASONS and i can still appreciate all the work and humanity that went on behind it all.

so with rap -- i was a kid when i first listened. the messages didn't resonate, it wasn't interesting, it was just too much noise. BUT THEN. I WAS INTRODUCED TO THE GOOD STUFF.

and also? i learned. i learned that the artists are inhabiting character personas, that the branding behind all their wacky criminal violence is a commentary, not an endorsement. you ever listen to DMX with the full understanding that he's dogging on fragile masculinity? no? i goddamn implore.

like listen to some nicky minaj and tell me she didn't pave the way for halsey. just don't throw the whole genre under the bus for the sins of the production companies trying to carve out a profitable narrative; cos that is never the whole story, because they are not *telling you* the whole story.

music is an art, and like any art it's up to you to bring the tools of understanding to the table.

i used to hate abstract painting, too, like it looked lazy and dumb and simple and kind of a grift. then i found out art auctions are actually the rich man's money laundering / tax haven ticket scam and i STILL get to hate abstract art but now i've got a better reason why.

oh, i hate an entertainment media thing? probably i just don't understand it, and that's okay. only so many hours in a day, no reason to waste time and energy trying to learn ALL THE THINGS, but indifference is no good reason to stay ignorant -- and my venom against a media or trend or movement might really hurt someone to whom that media or trend or movement really matters.

i said pollock was a spoiled finger-painter trolling the fine arts scene and my art TA called me a fascist, so. i found out why lazy wacky paint tossing was so important to that generation of arteests, and am more respectful in my total disrespect of spoiled finger-painting trolls.
I love pop, and rap is super fun, but my most controversial?

100 gecs is really fun! I haven't heard MUCH from them, but it feels so nightcore and hyperpop inspired that I can't hate it or trash talk it. It just feels good on the ears and tastes like a jolly rancher!
As the person who introduced Rust to 100 gecs, my unpopular opinion is the same! Hyperpop is really fun.

Also, country is good. I really like bluegrass, classic country, and some of the early 2000s stuff I grew up with. (with the exception of the super nationalist stuff)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What are some of your unpopular music opinions?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus