Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Ability to Make Characters Unlisted (ADDED)

Apologies if this has already been asked!

Like the title says, I'd appreciate a way to make a character be "Unlisted" (like Guilds can be I believe) so that the character isn't advertised or fineable in Character browse, and that only users with the character's link can access their page.

This doesn't mean that the character can't be accessed from posts made by them since there's technically still a link to their profile through it, of course. That way those who are RP'ing with the character still have access to the information about the character- otherwise there's no point in having their profile.

Is it also possible to do this while keeping the other options ("Only Registered can view", etc.) as well?

Edit:
My main reason for this is that I'm a bit paranoid about my characters due to previous bad experiences in the past.

I used to use Google Docs to comfortably share my characters with a trusted few as I don't primarily RP with others on RPR, but I really do love RPR's profile-building and hope to expand my RPs to here as well. I just don't want them accessed by randoms from the web that I have no intention of RP'ing with. It's mostly just for an extra little "security" for those who are wary like me who want to join things.

Another alternate to this would be requiring a passcode to access character profiles and/or their pages, which I brought up in this thread.
I don't think it's very common for folks to look at a character unless it or its link has been presented to them, honestly. It does happen, yes, but I believe most character views come from someone clicking on the character from a post made by that character or clicking on it from a user's profile (assuming the character is listed publicly rather than anonymous), in both cases usually because a reason to look has already been presented. I admit I could definitely be wrong, though.

There's also draft mode, but that will make it so that only you can see it at all, and you can't post as a character while it's in draft mode.
Zelphyr wrote:
I don't think it's very common for folks to look at a character unless it or its link has been presented to them, honestly. It does happen, yes, but I believe most character views come from someone clicking on the character from a post made by that character or clicking on it from a user's profile (assuming the character is listed publicly rather than anonymous), in both cases usually because a reason to look has already been presented. I admit I could definitely be wrong, though.

There's also draft mode, but that will make it so that only you can see it at all, and you can't post as a character while it's in draft mode.
I definitely do a lot of random-character-viewing. I use the browse character page a lot, and sometimes just search for characters with a certain name and look at the results from that (because I find it interesting to see how common certain names are, and what kinds of characters people use them for.) The latter is probably something that most people don't do, and I'm not sure how many people use the browse character page, but it must exist for a reason. In any case, I agree with OP that having an unlisted character option would be great. Not sure if it's something that enough people would want in order to make it worth implementing, though. Especially because there is also the option of just storing character info somewhere else that no-one can access it (like Google docs), but in that case you couldn't post directly as the character. Personally I really like the character profile building options on RPR, which is why I prefer to use it over Google Docs, so having the convenience of being able to look at a well-organized profile, while also knowing random people won't see my character, would be very nice.
N9inb0x Topic Starter

TheLorekeeper wrote:
Personally I really like the character profile building options on RPR, which is why I prefer to use it over Google Docs, so having the convenience of being able to look at a well-organized profile, while also knowing random people won't see my character, would be very nice.

Exactly my feelings honestly. I've updated my original post to reflect this so others have a better understanding to as of why this is being requested. Thank you for bringing it up!
Kim Site Admin

Wish granted. Go to Your Stuff > Characters > Edit (character name) > (Character name)'s settings

Throw a check in "Discourage search engines from indexing this character, and do not show it on the community character page"

Save with the "Edit My Character" button
Kim Site Admin

Zelphyr wrote:
I don't think it's very common for folks to look at a character unless it or its link has been presented to them, honestly.
I always feel like this MUST be the case but it seems like in reality folks do this a LOT.
Kim wrote:
Wish granted. Go to Your Stuff > Characters > Edit (character name) > (Character name)'s settings

Throw a check in "Discourage search engines from indexing this character, and do not show it on the community character page"

Save with the "Edit My Character" button
Yay! Thank you!
N9inb0x Topic Starter

Thank you! It's deeply appreciated ;w;

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Ability to Make Characters Unlisted (ADDED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus