Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Trick-or-Treat: Joe's Haunted Garage (Closed)

This RP is intended for realistic, modern-day characters. Characters from other genres are welcome, too. If you're not playing a human, we can pretend your character's appearance is their costume. Magic or sci-fi tech doesn't make sense for the setting. While it is technically 1982 in Teal Cove, we don't need to focus too heavily on being time-period-specific.

Joe's Alternators and Automotive is a repair shop in the small town of Teal Cove, Texas. The owner, Joe Scott has opted to decorate his business and hand out candy to the kids this year since he lives in an apartment. Several other businesses are also handing out candy in the nearby strip mall. The business is closed for the night, but Joe has decorated the lobby/waiting room. The door to the waiting room from the parking lot is propped open. Trick-or-Treaters can enter the lobby where they will be greeted. The garage bay doors are all closed and locked for the night.

The large plate glass windows of the store have paper bats, pumpkins, skeletons, and other Halloween characters taped to them. He's set up a strobe light and put a few cobwebs around the door. There is also a cheesy soundtrack playing on a cassette that has sounds such as owls, the wind blowing, thunder, bats, and other spooky effects. It isn't fancy, but it gets the job done.

Joe himself is a large man standing over 6 feet tall and slightly heavyset. He has a push broom-style mustache similar to Tom Selleck's. He's dressed as Dracula. His son, Trevor who is 17 and works at the shop is also helping. Trevor has long brown hair (pulled back tonight) and is dressed as Frankenstein. The father/son duo is trying to emulate the show The Munsters. Both are standing behind the counter.

OOC- I am going out of town on Oct. 27, so I'll need to close this thread probably on the 25th. I'll mark the topic closed and wrap any scenes that are still open but won't take any new people after that. I can't promise that I can respond to anyone who still has an open scene after Oct. 26 as I will be gone from that point on until the following week and not sure if I'll be on again before the event ends.

Unless your character is specifically trick or treating with other characters, we'll treat each scene separately. In other words, you don't need to wait for someone else to finish their scene for you to take your turn or stay in posting order.
Ivy and Kass (played by Ultimate.Gaymer)

Ivy had recently departed from what was easily the scariest Halloween event of her life. What she was facing now was... infinitely less scary, but she still thought it was pretty cool! The decorations certainly weren't top-knotch, but they were Halloweeny enough! Ivy was happy to see more people putting up Halloween decorations in general.
Still dressed in her costume, that being Velma from Scooby Doo, Ivy had visited each of the decorated businesses in the strip mall, and this garage was her final stop. Her plushie friend Kass was tucked under her arm, dressed in a mini Scooby Doo costume that Ivy had sewn herself. Her worn-out backpack contained a fair amount of candy, and she was smiling happily as she stepped into the lobby of the garage.
"Hello! Good evening! Um, Trick or Treat!" She called out cheerfully.
((Since this is a non-magical modern setting, I can pretend Kass is a regular plushie instead of a possessed one.))
Trevor Scott (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

"Good evening," Joe replied dressed as a vampire. He didn't try to do a Transylvania accent. "Happy Halloween! Let's see... Daphane?" Joe recognized the costume as the girl entered the small lobby of the store. The cassette tape was playing organ music and there was a crash of thunder.

"Velma, Pop," The younger man dressed as Frankenstein corrected him. "But points for effort."

He turned to the girl in her orange costume carrying the Scooby Doo plush and addressed her. "Where is the rest of the gang?" He of course was referring to Shaggy, Daphane, and Fred. "I have a friend, Short Stuff, that's what I call her that has red hair. She would have been perfect for Daphane."

As the girl got closer, Trevor readied a big handful of miniature candy bars including a Nestles Crunch, Snickers, Mars Bar, Mr. Good Bar, Kit Kat, and a mini Twix. He waited for her to produce her candy bag or pumpkin before depositing her candy.

OOC: I saw Freebiewitz's video featuring your characters.

"Unfortunately, I don't have much of a gang," Ivy said. "Just me and the Scoob." She sounded perhaps a bit wistful. She had to admit, it would have been nice to have some human friends to go trick-or-treating with. She loved Kass, and would defend the plushie as her best friend forever, but still... The more the merrier. And people wouldn't give her as many weird looks if she was with kids her own age.
Regardless, Ivy smiled brightly. She held out her open backpack, eager to accept the candy. It wasn't a real trick-or-treat bag, but it was good enough for her.
"Thanks for the candy, by the way. I like your decorations." She told the two men earnestly. Other people had fancier displays, sure, but one didn't need to be flashy and expensive in order to get the job done.
Trevor Scott (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

"Ah, I'm sorry to hear that," Joe replied. He felt bad the girl was having to trick or treat alone. "Well, I guess it's up to Scooby and Velma then!"

The girl produced a backpack and Trevor loaded her up with candy. Trevor wished there was something he could do for. He thought about trying to call Tabitha. She was much older but would make a good Daphne. However, she, Starla nad Shelley had gone out on their own for the night.

"Thanks for the candy, by the way. I like your decorations." She told the two men earnestly. Other people had fancier displays, sure, but one didn't need to be flashy and expensive in order to get the job done.

"Thanks, it worked on short notice," Trevor managed. He and his dad had thrown this whole thing together last minute. The girls were all going off to their own thing and Trevor didn't want to leave his dad to deal with the Trick-or-Treaters alone. Maybe they would stop by at some point with Matt. He knew Gary was probably handing out candy at his place so the group might be at his house helping out.

"You're welcome and stay safe out there," Joe replied. Trevor suddenly realized he'd zoned out wondering where his own friends were. He waved as Velam and Scooby headed out of the shop and on their way to get more candy.

With that nice little interaction, Ivy decided to head home. She waved to the two men as she departed from the building, returning into the crisp autumn air. Her candy haul wasn't the biggest, but to be fair she hadn't been out that long. That was okay, though, because now was the moment she had been waiting for... Time to prepare for her own Halloween event!
As soon as Ivy left, the sound from a motorcycle engine could be heard. Driving a pink-and-black Yamaha motorcycle, was what looked like an elf girl wearing a crash helmet? Nope, it was just Agate Hoshino dressed as a fantasy elf (with fake ears as such). She was wearing a dark-blue tunic, a purple cape, green pants and brown boots. She also had a bow as well as a quiver of arrows (just toy of course) to give off the image of an elf archer even further.

"Finally, I have arrived." Agate said as she got off of her vehicle after she parked down. Despite being in her late teens, she didnt feel herself to be too old for this. It was fun! Taking off her helmet and putting back on her signature hat, she approached the garage.

"Heyo! Trick or Treat!" she exclaimed as she prepared her pumpkin-shaped basket.
Joe Scott (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

As quickly as Velma and Scooby left, another lone trick-or-treater entered the building. This one had pointy ears.

"Star Trek? Um, Vulcan," Joe asked immediately focusing on the girl's ears.

"No, pop," Trevor responded quickly. "She's an elf. You know, like from The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings?"

"Oh, right," Joe said nodding.

"Heyo! Trick or Treat!" she exclaimed as she prepared her pumpkin-shaped basket.

"Trick or Treat," Joe replied. He grabbed a big handful of a variety of mini chocolate bars for her before adding, "Happy Halloween."

"Nice costume," Trevor commented. "Me and my band play Dungeons and Dragons together on Sundays. My friend Matt, who is our drummer, plays an elf. His name is Danny the Elf... man. Uh, Oingo Boingo joke."

Joe turned to his son confused. "Oingo what," Joe asked confused. "I didn't get anything you just said."

"Dungeons and Dragons is a game, pop. Oingo Boingo is a band. The lead singer's name is Danny Elfman. It's a play on words," Trevor tried to explain. He turned to the elf girl, hoping she would chime in and get the references he'd made.

Joe just shook his head and prepared to give her the fistful of candy. "Here ya go," he said.
"Happy Halloween right back!" Agate responded as she got the chocolates. She then giggled, getting the joke from Trevor. "Great joke!" she smiled at the boy.

She then looked at her basket and continued smiling: this night indeed began at very good. Agate then looked back at the father-and-son duo.
"You have nice costumes, too."

"Happy Halloween right back!" Agate responded as she got the chocolates. She then giggled, getting the joke from Trevor. "Great joke!" she smiled at the boy.

"Ongo Bongo," Joe repeated looking at his son.

"Oingo Boingo," Trevor corrected.

"Sounds like something you two would come up with," he retorted as he handed Agate the treats.

She then looked at her basket and continued smiling: this night indeed began at very good. Agate then looked back at the father-and-son duo.
"You have nice costumes, too."

"Thanks," Joe replied. "Be safe!"
"Thanks, you too." Agate waved back. Oingo Boingo... what an interesting and funny name. Still smiling on that, she then walked to her motorcycle, switcher her hat to her crash helmet, then looked back at them for the last time:

"Have a nice Halloween night!" she said before she drove away into the night.
"We're too old for trick or treating. No, seriously! You can't expect for people to still offer free candy to us." Jack claimed, shaking his head at his sister's antics. Grace had always been like that, a kid at heart that refused to grow up. Even though she had recently turned 24, she usually acted as if she were not a day over 16. In a way he did admire that, especially considering what they'd been through, but he still felt too protective to really let her do as she pleased.

Tonight was a new night though, and his sister seemed determined.

"Come on, Jack! We are dressed up, right? They have to give us candy, it's a rule." She argued, looking up at him with her big green eyes. She was clearly pleading for him to go along with her plan, but he had no intention of doing so.

"We might be dressed up for a party but that doesn't mean that we should be trick or treating. It's a rule for kids, not for us. Besides, I don't want to arrive too late. Lilly is already waiting for us." He countered, the look she was giving him clearly starting to have it's effects on him.

"It will only take a minute..." She insisted, her gaze already wandering towards the garage and it's nice decorations. Her eyes lit up at the sight and excitement was clear on her face. It felt like it was Christmas morning, and even those had never seemed as magical.

"Fine, but I'll wait here. There's no way I'm going to embarrass myself and bother those poor people. Please be careful and don't go wandering off after, okay?" He requested, realizing she probably didn't hear that request as she had already turned away from him halfway through his words.

The two gingers parted ways, the man standing on the sidewalk nearby and being passed by little kids in costumes while the younger woman made her way towards the garage. At this point she was almost skipping.

Once the woman with the fox ears, tail and painted on whiskers made her way to the duo that was handing out candy, she stopped in her tracks and smiled warmly. Her flared, rust coloured plaid dress swished for a second once her movement stopped, settling down against her thighs and hugging her curves. With her eyes accentuated by a chrome green eyeshadow, she looked up at the pair.

"Happy Halloween." She claimed as a greeting. "Or Samhain, whichever you tend to celebrate." She added. It was only then, after a short moment of doubt, that she tried what she had come for. "Trick or treat?" She asked, her voice sounding light and hopeful.
Alastor (played by Jaws)

Al was normally not the one to go trick-or-treating. Mefitis however was excited and sat on his shoulder as their head was formed. “Let’s go over the rules one more thing”,he talked in an whisper, “No moving as much because that freaks other people out and try not to gooble up the candy when we first get it” Mefitis make a sound like they are offended and Al sighed, “I just want to keep you safe, okay?”

He walked up to the place and looked around. He thought of a excuse if anyone asked why a grown man was trick or treating; the fact he never went trick or treating as a kid. He was dressed up in a Ghost Buster costume and Mefitis blended in perfectly as a ghost prop. “Trick or treat”,which sounded like more of a question than a statement as he held out a small sack.
Alastor (played by Jaws)

Alastor wrote:
Al was normally not the one to go trick-or-treating. Mefitis however was excited and sat on his shoulder as their head was formed. “Let’s go over the rules one more thing”,he talked in an whisper, “No moving as much because that freaks other people out and try not to gooble up the candy when we first get it” Mefitis make a sound like they are offended and Al sighed, “I just want to keep you safe, okay?”

He walked up to the place and looked around. He thought of a excuse if anyone asked why a grown man was trick or treating; the fact he never went trick or treating as a kid. He was dressed up in a Ghost Buster costume and Mefitis blended in perfectly as a ghost prop. “Trick or treat”,which sounded like more of a question than a statement as he held out a small sack.

(OOC: Ignore mine, I didn’t know that someone else was posting before me)

"Ah another one," Joe said as the red-haired fox woman entered the shop. "Lot's solo trick-or-treaters this evening!"

For a split second, Trevor thought the girl might be Tabby, but quickly realized she was older.

"Happy Halloween." She claimed as a greeting. "Or Samhain, whichever you tend to celebrate." She added. It was only then, after a short moment of doubt, that she tried what she had come for. "Trick or treat?" She asked, her voice sounding light and hopeful.

"Happy Halloween to you as well," Joe replied. He turned to his son. "We don't celebrate the other one... I haven't heard of it, actually. Uh, Trevor?"

The younger man dressed as Frankenstein shook his head no.

"But Trick or treat to you all the same," Trevor said.

"No, she asked you and we choose treat," Joe correct grabbing a big fist full of many chocolate bars as the foxgirl approached the counter.

Alastor wrote:

"Velcome," Joe said trying to do a Transylvanian accent, but it wasn't very good. "Come, vee have blood, er um, candy!"

Trevor rolled his eyes at his dad's poor attempt to sound like a vampire. The old man was having fun at least. Trevor readied the candy.

OOC: No worries, like it says on the main post, we don't have to finish one before someone else does theirs or stay in an order. You can just pretend she came in at a different time.
Alastor (played by Jaws)

(OOC: Alright)

Al tried his best not to chuckle at Joe’s attempt at an Transylvanian accent. “Good job at the accent”, he said as he grinned. One of Mefitis’ tentacles suctioned on his skin, signaling their itch to move around. He made it seem like he pressed a button in his palm and Mefitis started to move, almost like a prop.

"That was terrible," Frankenstein replied.

"No one asked you," The vampire shot back, losing his accent in the process. *Candy?"

Joe offered a generous handful of miniature chocolates to the new comer.

"Cool prop," Joe said noting the tentacle. "Did you make that or buy it?"
Joe Scott wrote:
"Ah another one," Joe said as the red-haired fox woman entered the shop. "Lot's solo trick-or-treaters this evening!"

For a split second, Trevor thought the girl might be Tabby, but quickly realized she was older.

"Happy Halloween to you as well," Joe replied. He turned to his son. "We don't celebrate the other one... I haven't heard of it, actually. Uh, Trevor?"

The younger man dressed as Frankenstein shook his head no.

"But Trick or treat to you all the same," Trevor said.

"No, she asked you and we choose treat," Joe correct grabbing a big fist full of many chocolate bars as the foxgirl approached the counter.

Hope quickly changed into genuine joy as she saw there was no confusion on their faces, at least not in regard to an adult trick or treating.

"Ah, I have a friend that does celebrate Samhain. It's a Gaelic festival that gets celebrated on Hallow's eve and the day after. I wanted to add it, just in case." She smiled, not seeming rattled by them not knowing what it was. She didn't know too much about it herself, only that what Lilly had taught her.

It was only then that she really took in the two of them, scanning their costumes and taking in the attention to detail. In truth, they looked great, and Grace felt compelled to compliment them.

"Your costumes are a really nice choice. I like them a lot. Did you make them?" She asked, hoping that it wasn't a foolish question. They looked like proper craftmanship and seeing that they owned a garage she wouldn't put the ability to make something pretty like that past them.

As Joe grabbed a big fist full of chocolate bars, her eyes lit up once more and she couldn't help but to show a happy wiggle, almost dancing by the counter at the sight of the chocolate. With the added aesthetics of the decorations, this really brought her back to trick or treating as a kid. All she really needed was for her brother to stand with her.

While holding out her hands to accept the chocolates, she briefly turned to carefully eye Jack who was still standing on the sidewalk on the other side of the street. His amusement was clear to see, but he didn't seem like he was going to get any closer.

"Did you have a lot of trick or treaters so far?" She asked curiously, having always loved the event and wishing that she too could give candy out. Sadly enough, the dorms on campus weren't an ideal location to do so.
Alastor (played by Jaws)

Joe Scott wrote:
"That was terrible," Frankenstein replied.

"No one asked you," The vampire shot back, losing his accent in the process. *Candy?"

Joe offered a generous handful of miniature chocolates to the new comer.

"Cool prop," Joe said noting the tentacle. "Did you make that or buy it?"

He held out the sack open. “Um..I made it”, he said. Mefitis stopped moving.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Trick-or-Treat: Joe's Haunted Garage (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus