Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick-or-Treat: Sarí and the Daelis Tribe

Bho Namoaa (played by Samiakki)

Interesting. It sounded to Bho like they brought their dead with them. And somehow, he resisted the urge to wrinkle his nose.

How? Did they mummify them first? Or burn their bodies and crush their bones in cremation? The thought of dragging a people's deceased along with them made Bho wary of the disease it could have wrought.

A memory comes into his vision of the catfolk from the southern islands. Intriguing and pleasant - at least to him - as it was, he contemplated whether or not this would offend the Daelis, given those catfolk celebrate the end of their lives rather than mourn them.

"If I may intrude," he began gently, "what do you mean by, 'the sands take'?"

He'd rather ask a question instead of confronting them directly with information they may not want. Patiently, his tail swayed under his cloak, stopping only when awaiting an answer.
QI0Hcdh.png
Flynn (played by Riik)

Flynn was used to mistrust. It came part in parcel with being fey. They weren't exactly innocent when it came to reputation, though they most certainly did not get involved with the worst things that fey were blamed for. Of course, Flynn always tried to keep the best intentions in mind with anything that they did. But even then, people had different ideas of what means were justifiable to what ends.

Regardless of all that, Flynn was not here on any capacity other than to enjoy themselves. Which they at least attempted to do at no expense to others. With happy-go-lucky feminine step, they made their way to the musicians near the bonfire.

"Be not afraid," they said to nobody in particular. "I have no intention of causing harm."

No longer playing the part of an archfey, they had no further need of being centre of attention. Besides, their little play on the whims of fey nobility had not been taken well anyway. It wasn't to say that Flynn had no further intention of showing off, they just simply did not have cause to do so in a grand manner.

Flynn found a spot where they hoped they had plenty of space and eased into a dance that at first seemed like casual enjoyment of the music, but settled into a more performative display. Their moves combined elements of ballet with interpretive dance and traditional ritual dance straight from the ancient practices of their homeland. A form of dance one might say that had evolved from the lattermost style into a more contemporary form. There was still a casual accessibility to it in part because Flynn did not want to go overboard, particularly after earlier events, but also because it would be inappropriate to put on such a performance without invitation. They wanted to join the festivities, not overshadow them.
"Yep, its good..." Wakumi responded. She was a bit taken aback by the chefs eerieness and his lot of blades. Luckily, the pharmacist managed to overcome her initial shock and continue to eat. After finishing, she turned to the chef:

"Can I ask, which activity would you recommend? Honestly, I cant choose."
Sarí Lin'oen (played by Zelphyr) Topic Starter

((Haven't forgotten, brain's just being fussy. Assuming at least some parties still want to go a bit further on this.))

(( I'd like to finish up within 1 or 2 posts myself, but I'm in no rush! ))
((I still would like to go, if you dont mind.))

((I'm sorry, my brain keeps drifting further from this instead. x.x I've even been keeping the tab up as a reminder, and I was honestly kinda digging there being curiosity about the Isari, but I'm not sure get around to refocusing on this in any reasonable timeframe. >.< ))

((Aaaand there it is. ^^; ))

The reaction to Bho's question from the small group was, naturally, varied. Some who had been following the story most intently appeared to be taking slightly longer to process the stranger's words. A few shifted subtly and glanced around with a faint look of alarm. Some stared at Bho as if he were stupid, with differing degrees of surprise and judgement between them. One adolescent even started into a snide retort before another elbowed their ribs. The two proceeded to bicker rapidly but quietly in another tongue, while the storyteller frowned uncertainly at the man who was both cat-like and seemingly plant-like at once.

"Meat always becomes food, rot, or ash," the storyteller stated, both plain and vague at once. With a thoughtful pause, a hint of a smirk tugged at one corner if their mouth and they gestured about the festive camp with all its painted skeletons among other costumes. "It is a good night to learn what happens to the dead. What of your people?"

Flynn still received some uncertain looks, but with the dancing, things continued to relax back into their prior celebratory state. Perhaps the best evidence of that were the grins some of the musicians got as they shifted to more challenging rhythms. The fae was not alone in dancing, but their skillful movements did entertain. The little flute player got to start playing again, as well, and though she remained firmly planted between drummers, she still looked perfectly pleased to play, to bob, and to watch all who danced as they moved about.

The approval of the food was sufficient to make the chef's smile at Wakumi grow, which... at least somehow managed to help it seem a little warmer and more friendly. He didn't keep pestering her when she turned away, though. Instead, he opted to snack on a few things himself.

He paused mid-chew - luckily, with his mouth closed - when she addressed him again. The man blinked a couple times as he looked at her, around them, then at her again once he'd finally finished what was in his mouth. Rather than suggesting this or that around the little party camp, he picked out a few things from the table, choosing quite particularly, and showed those items off with a lopsided smile. Nothing necessarily stood out about the selected snacks, and each was quite different. He made a little room to set some of them down, then offered, first, a small bit of water.

"Clean mouth," he directed with the water. It would be followed with instructions for two of the food items. "Bite. Chew chew. Much chew. And this."

Both treats were plenty tasty on their own, of course. If Wakumi did as instructed, though, by the time she bit into the second snack, she would find that a mild bitterness it normally had seemed to have been stripped away, and the other flavors were much more fully brought out.

In preparation for what was to become of Bho being the source of attention now, his brows furrow, looking a little defensive. It showed in how his arms crossed over his shoulders. However, he did realize what this would appear as, causing him to raise a hand with his palm upwards to produce a more friendly gesture.

"Well, I know that," he replied, a bit gracelessly. "I mean, I had an interest in your funeral traditions. Surely, you have funerals around here, no? Some peoples don't. Odd, but not my place to judge."

Despite this, he didn't take offence. Sure, he didn't have much approval in and of his own culture, but he understood those who ended up believing they could be a central part of the world. Or at least, who he assumed thought their culture was a central part of the world.
YhDyvSU.png

"It depends on the terrain for us. My people have funeral pyres and scatter the ash and ground charred bones in their old hunting grounds. Some may request to have their bodies left out for the scavenger beasts and then the previous ritual done for their bones. I know of some catfolk among the islands who even have a celebration for their deceased, leaving the body dressed up as a 'guest' to the party. Afterwards, the cremation is performed. Unusual as it sounds, but does this make sense?"

Bho's clarification of intent pushed the uncertainty around the circle a little further. The fact of the matter was that discussing details of how they handled things in the presence of outsiders was generally discouraged. It had a tendency to lead to more problems and hostility. That was even why the storyteller had flipped the question around: partly an attempt to redirect the stranger's attention and perhaps getting him talking enough to forget he'd had a question, and partly it was to seek some hint at how this stranger might react. A mindful stranger, certainly, and one who seemed curious enough to have at least heard the "rumors" that went around. It seemed likely that this was even just some "polite" way of seeking the truth behind the claims.

"That sounds of more respect than a petty box in the ground to be forgot and abandoned," the storyteller acknowledged, but their words remained carefully selected and arranged. "We feast for their love, honor, and memory. But for strangers able to afford it on top of the aid or task they came for, we respect their expressed want within reason if they die among us."
"Oh, okay." Wakumi quickly understood the intentions of the chef. She tried out the food she was shown, following the instructions from him. Her eyes then went big: they were so tasty. After she finished eating them, she looked back at the chef: "They are so good!"

Though part of her mind wondered, what should she try out next, outside of the food. After all, this food was for everyone.
Flynn (played by Riik)

Flynn noted the influence their dance was having upon the music and opted to try to coax for specific rhythms that pushed toward a little more uniformity amongst those currently dancing. Mostly by putting emphasis upon certain specific beats, almost like trying to influence the dance to become more of a game. This was aided by fairly simple repetitive motions in an attempt to make sharing the dance more attractive to the dancers themselves; and frequent glances across the general dance floor area to try to wordlessly invite others to joining in.

Once they got as many people on board as they could, Flynn started adding freestyle moves on specific beats. They knew changing things up in such a way would cause confusion at first amongst those choosing to follow them, but they hoped people would begin to catch on what they were aiming for. This was their game - a sort of fill-in-the-blank ordeal. Flynn started off simple to emphasise accessibility to garner interest. But their own contributions became more and more complex and even acrobatic; though they shied away from anything particularly spectacular, still trying not to overshadow everyone else's enjoyment or take up too much space. They didn't want anyone to give up; but they also wanted to have fun themselves. Besides, if there was a competition aspect to this dance game, it wasn't complexity they had in mind, it was ingenuity. Creativity. They wanted to give the other dancers a good excuse to just move as they please - something in their experience many people did not typically do without the game-like aspect they had created, out of fear of embarrassment or breaking conventions of what was considered 'good' in a dance scenario. Indeed, even some of their own freestyle sections were goofy and ungainly and downright silly, randomly mixed in with more elegant examples.

Sarí Lin'oen wrote:
Bho's clarification of intent pushed the uncertainty around the circle a little further. The fact of the matter was that discussing details of how they handled things in the presence of outsiders was generally discouraged. It had a tendency to lead to more problems and hostility. That was even why the storyteller had flipped the question around: partly an attempt to redirect the stranger's attention and perhaps getting him talking enough to forget he'd had a question, and partly it was to seek some hint at how this stranger might react. A mindful stranger, certainly, and one who seemed curious enough to have at least heard the "rumors" that went around. It seemed likely that this was even just some "polite" way of seeking the truth behind the claims.

"That sounds of more respect than a petty box in the ground to be forgot and abandoned," the storyteller acknowledged, but their words remained carefully selected and arranged. "We feast for their love, honor, and memory. But for strangers able to afford it on top of the aid or task they came for, we respect their expressed want within reason if they die among us."

Bho considered this answer. They thought, and they thought. Their lips pursed in the stiff air of the moment before nodding.

"As it should be," he mused. "What I mean is, for the dead to be respected. And if it is someone's will, so be it. I've come across farrr stranger in my travels. But-" His brows furrowed a bit, though he smiled. "Let me not mistreat your hospitality. I thank you for this discussion. If there is much else I can share, I would be happy to. But forrr now, I should be taking my leave."

He'd seen all he needed to see. He'd learned all he thought he could learn. There was nothing for him here, nor for Solemu-Koremu. Thus, whenever he found himself at this point, it was time for him to depart.

"Happy Halloween to you," he raised a hand in farewell, "and good evening."

And so, he made to depart, something akin to a treasure in tow; new memories. Having met a new people was certainly something he could bring back to his 'master' - loathe that he is to call him that, anyway.
hz9i7W3.png
(( Thank you for the RP! It was lots of good fun! ))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Trick-or-Treat: Sarí and the Daelis Tribe

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus