Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - The Creative Autistic

I have autism, otherwise known as Asperger's. I fall on the lower end of the spectrum. Yes, there is such a thing. But what people like me have is not fully understood and if you were to talk to me, I seem like I am like everyone else. You'd never know I actually have this. But I do.

My brain is literally wired differently than most people in a lot of different ways. Some make life interesting and fun, but others make life difficult and not so fun after all.

I am no expert on Autism, but I have lived with it my entire life since I was born this way. I guess that must mean I have to be something of an expert, right? But its not. I don't understand autism any better than the Doctors. But I DO understand what I have experienced in my life. And that I can tell you.

So, ask me about it. But please don't discriminate and be respectful. This is not easy for me to talk about. And if I don't know the answer, I'll look it up for you and see if I can find it for you. ;)
what is something you wish people would understand better about Autism?
X2C

Dear God, I don’t know what to say when I hear things like this other than, ‘I hope you have turned it into a strength!’ I myself suffer from Paranoid/Aggressive Schizophrenia, a thing I don’t talk much about, and although it has taken it’s tole on my life there is always a positive side to it. Now I can not say I know what you are going through, but I feel confident in saying you are not alone.

So if you ever need to talk about it or just want to get something off your chest, please fill free to call me up anytime! I know in a world even as PC as it is today there is always a huge stigma against things like this, so we must all stick together and keep our heads up!

My prayers go out to you!!! My Friend!!
-Knight- Topic Starter

Masquerade wrote:
what is something you wish people would understand better about Autism?

That is a very good question. Too often, people with autism get ignored without any effort to try and understand them. And that is what I wish people would try and do. Understand Autism itself and learn what it is so that people like me are better understood. We are people the same as everyone else. We just tend to think differently. There is a LOT more to it than that, though. There are so many variables to understand about Autism. But one thing I want to make known is, its not something to be afraid of, but to embrace.

And one thing I have personally noticed in my own life. If anyone gave me their understanding (and some have) I take great joy in seeing them happy that they did because I often surprise them when others try to understand me. And then when I read about other people having Autism and going through similar stuff, amazing things happen to them as well when people make the effort to understand them.
-Knight- Topic Starter

X2C wrote:
Dear God, I don’t know what to say when I hear things like this other than, ‘I hope you have turned it into a strength!’ I myself suffer from Paranoid/Aggressive Schizophrenia, a thing I don’t talk much about, and although it has taken it’s tole on my life there is always a positive side to it. Now I can not say I know what you are going through, but I feel confident in saying you are not alone.

So if you ever need to talk about it or just want to get something off your chest, please fill free to call me up anytime! I know in a world even as PC as it is today there is always a huge stigma against things like this, so we must all stick together and keep our heads up!

My prayers go out to you!!! My Friend!!

Thank you, I appreciate that. :)

This thread is about questions, though. Which is why I created it. So, if you have any questions about Autism, please let me know. ^_^
GU7TMUNCH3RZ

what is one thing you like to do in your spare time?
-Knight- Topic Starter

XenoverseSurvivor wrote:
what is one thing you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I like to play video games when I am not actively Role-Playing. ^_^
I can see what you mean about one not being able to tell you have autism when they talk to you - I would of had no idea had I not seen your profile bio. But I think that is just a stigma that society has where people think autistic people are incapable of holding up conversations or are just those "weird kids"..

Anyway, how would you say your experience with school was? I know even now, it's difficult for people who have autism or even ADHD have things accommodated to them in a school setting.
-Knight- Topic Starter

AquaCharm wrote:
I can see what you mean about one not being able to tell you have autism when they talk to you - I would of had no idea had I not seen your profile bio. But I think that is just a stigma that society has where people think autistic people are incapable of holding up conversations or are just those "weird kids"..

Anyway, how would you say your experience with school was? I know even now, it's difficult for people who have autism or even ADHD have things accommodated to them in a school setting.

College was GREAT! Loved it, actually. Tons of cool people, students and teachers. Mmm. Very supportive environment.

Elementary School, Middle School and High School were different, though. Back then, I wasn't treated as an equal. I felt very isolated and alone. I felt like an outsider, I was bullied a lot (except in High School, the kids there were pretty cool). I was always one of the last ones to be picked during a sports game during P.E. class. I wasn't very popular, either.

I also took Special Ed, which is a class setting where the teachers and aids give more attention to the students whereas in normal classes, they don't.

I always looked upon others with envy, wishing I was that cool guy over there. I hated being me. So, long answer short: School was rough.

These days, though, I have learned to embrace who and what I am. I am a LOT more comfortable in my skin these days than when I was in school. I've also surrounded myself with tons of supportive people who don't treat me differently simply because I think differently than they do. So my environment is a lot more healthy for me too. ^_^
I have a brother who might have Asperger's or ADHD and I always wanted to understand him a bit more. My folks aren't much help since they blame his bad behavior on me being a bad influence.
Ultra-Knight wrote:
AquaCharm wrote:

College was GREAT! Loved it, actually. Tons of cool people, students and teachers. Mmm. Very supportive environment.

Elementary School, Middle School and High School were different, though. Back then, I wasn't treated as an equal. I felt very isolated and alone. I felt like an outsider, I was bullied a lot (except in High School, the kids there were pretty cool). I was always one of the last ones to be picked during a sports game during P.E. class. I wasn't very popular, either.

I also took Special Ed, which is a class setting where the teachers and aids give more attention to the students whereas in normal classes, they don't.

I always looked upon others with envy, wishing I was that cool guy over there. I hated being me. So, long answer short: School was rough.

These days, though, I have learned to embrace who and what I am. I am a LOT more comfortable in my skin these days than when I was in school. I've also surrounded myself with tons of supportive people who don't treat me differently simply because I think differently than they do. So my environment is a lot more healthy for me too. ^_^

I figured the beginning years of school would be tough. Kids are ruthless and back then, adults were rather ignorant on that topic (of course thats me assuming your age :P) . but I am glad you had better experiences in your later years and learned to embrace yourself. That is amazing!

What did you study in college?
-Knight- Topic Starter

AquaCharm wrote:
What did you study in college?

Various different classes to prepare to go into ministry, actually. But I think God has other plans because I couldn't pass algebra.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - The Creative Autistic

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus