Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA- Tattoo Shop Manager & Convention Artist

I see a ton of other amazing artists chiming in already, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents, since I have some really specific industry experiences under my belt.

I started off working as a college recruiter for an art school that has since been shut down. 🙃 During that time, I was finishing up my own Illustration degree and reviewing portfolios for potential undergrads, so I'm used to seeing and critiquing a lot of different styles and methods of art making. I've since worked at two different tattoo studios in managerial and apprenticeship positions, and as of tomorrow, I'll be starting out again at my third. Maybe I'll actually finish an apprenticeship this time, haha.

Outside of that, I've been supporting myself by driving across the country during the summer and doing freelance illustration at conventions, craft fairs and the like.

I am SO GOOD at filling out paperwork.

Like I said, I already know that a lot of RPR users are talented visual artists, but if you have questions about selling art, making artwork for commercial purposes or applying for jobs, designing for specific mediums like print or skin- I'm your guy. Or I could just tell you about all of the weird contract stipulations I've signed. That's up to ya'll. Ask Me Anything.
This one is a common one but I do love to hear different artist's opinions!
How do you know/decide how to price your art at conventions etc? Do you have set prices or do you price each illustration "in the moment" so to speak (like some tattoo artists do)?
AncientCatKing Topic Starter

Min-ya wrote:
This one is a common one but I do love to hear different artist's opinions!
How do you know/decide how to price your art at conventions etc? Do you have set prices or do you price each illustration "in the moment" so to speak (like some tattoo artists do)?

*Most* of the time, I use a combination of expected retail value + what I'd *like* to make hourly. I very rarely ever price something "in the moment," even if I'm taking an on-the-spot commission for something weird at a con. I feel like most professional artists have a general idea of how long something's going to take them, and that works as a jumping off point.

Like, "This armor is gonna take me at least an hour to sketch, line, and color, so if I don't make at least $___ for that, I'm wasting that time."

The closest that I come to "in the moment" pricing is usually with pieces like pet portraits that don't take me a long time to do, but they carry emotional value beyond your typical 'commission of an anime character'. In that case, I can absolutely paint your cat faster than I can draw Deku Academia Boy, but the cat is going to cost more because of my inkling that you're going to keep that piece around for a while. 🤷‍♀️ Thus, it sells for what the customer is willing to pay for it, not for how long it took me to make.

...And speaking for myself as a manager, I'm always going to aim higher when pricing other artists' work. Especially in tattooing, because sometimes that equates to handing off a commission to a friend and not knowing how badly their canvas is going to act up while they're working, you know?

I have definitely turned to my bestie before and been like "I'm so sorry I said you'd do that for $100 🤢" when we were first starting out.
Please tell me about all of the weird contract stipulations you've had to sign lol
AncientCatKing Topic Starter

silentruth wrote:
Please tell me about all of the weird contract stipulations you've had to sign lol

Pretty much all of my favorite contracts have been from convention artist alleys. Here are a few off the top of my head:

- Most cons include a stipulation that I'm not supposed to hang up artwork or posters around the venue with anything that might damage the walls (duct tape, nails, etc). I have been to at least 4 that have also asked me not to use things like 'bodily fluids', snot, or chewed gum.

- Every year that I have gone to Kentucky, I have signed an agreement not to use an electric rice cooker behind my booth.

- I recently did one in Arkansas that had a clause asking me not to "discharge firearms or use pyrotechnics or explosives".

- No physical fighting with cosplayers.

- No wearing collars or leashes for sexual purposes during the daytime. (This didn't stop the several adult babies I saw walking around at this venue, so maybe they'll make it onto my list by next year.)

- Almost every con I work at now has a clause in its contract asking me not to wear Nazi regalia. I understand that this is probably some Hetalia-related incident and nothing "serious," but that is still such an odd thing to see in print.
Kim Site Admin

AncientCatKing wrote:
- Most cons include a stipulation that I'm not supposed to hang up artwork or posters around the venue with anything that might damage the walls (duct tape, nails, etc). I have been to at least 4 that have also asked me not to use things like 'bodily fluids', snot, or chewed gum.

I feel like my soul left my body reading this. o.o

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA- Tattoo Shop Manager & Convention Artist

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus