Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Signatures?

TANGgraff

I think it adds a personal flair to posts and stuff. Most other forums have them, and I kinda like them.
Maybe if it was text only. Images eats up a lot of serve space which is why their is a limit to how many you can put on character profiles.
Katia -- does it eat up space to hotlink to an offsite hosted image?

most forum signatures are set up with img size restrictions, sure, but the hosting of the image (usually a gif or illustrated quote) happens offsite (you can use tumblr for this, for instance).

i just wouldn't want sigs because they clutter, haha. can put any relevant sig graphics or info in your profile, which! most rp forums don't offer!! 8D so in a way there might not be a 'need' for signatures, ehe.
Luscinioide

gonna cast my vote against this one because all it does is clutter up threads and provide an additional area that mods have to moderate (images and otherwise). i find them annoying, especially when there's no text limit and people put eye bleed colors and fonts in them. it's 2023 we gotta leave the sigs back in the early 2010s
oven wrote:
Katia -- does it eat up space to hotlink to an offsite hosted image?

most forum signatures are set up with img size restrictions, sure, but the hosting of the image (usually a gif or illustrated quote) happens offsite (you can use tumblr for this, for instance).

i just wouldn't want sigs because they clutter, haha. can put any relevant sig graphics or info in your profile, which! most rp forums don't offer!! 8D so in a way there might not be a 'need' for signatures, ehe.

I mentioned it because in a lot of places that use signatures, I often see a bunch of images in them. Personally, I don't care for signatures, but if enough people wanted them in a server space friendly manner, then I won't say no.
Luscinioide wrote:
gonna cast my vote against this one because all it does is clutter up threads and provide an additional area that mods have to moderate (images and otherwise). i find them annoying, especially when there's no text limit and people put eye bleed colors and fonts in them. it's 2023 we gotta leave the sigs back in the early 2010s

Personally this is my opinion too, never been a fan as it means more scrolling, but I wanted to see if I was I the minority, but it seems like I am not. Didn't want to be a huge party pooper if people liked it as long as server space was considered.
Personally, I don't like forum 'signatures'. This is especially with graphic-heavy and text-heavy signatures. They tend to be more like highway billboards than an actual signature, and I find it annoying to see the 'same ol same ol' post-after-post-after post, and I think they take away from whatever is said in a post.

I know a lot of forum software have a preference ability for one to 'opt in/out' depending on what the prevailing default is, but as Luscinioide wrote, it's a whole other thing that requires moderation, both in content and size rules.

With the generous editability one has with their account profile here, I agree with oven in that one's profile can easily can accommodate anything one would want to say in a signature.
I vote for. As I come from a time before 2010 and I am a nostalgic goober; and we should be accepting of the past just as much as people wanting to focus on the future.

However, give people the option - as many other places do - to disable seeing them.

I can agree with some points in regards to people just blurping image/color/font vomit in there - but to each their own. There are some themes that I feel do this, so I just don't use them or exit out of someones character profile if it's an eyebleed or I can't read it.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Signatures?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus