Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Have You Ever Had An RP That Tore Your Heart Out?

I get those now and then; they're rare, but all the more precious for it.

The most recent involved the death of an NPC. She was the sister to my character, and like some siblings the two did not get along and hadn't since childhood. Always bickering, always fighting, snarking, prodding, poking--but my character never understood that she was the cause of it until it was too late.

Her sister gave her life to protect her, without really knowing why beyond that her baby sister was in trouble. My character realized how much of their extreme sibling rivalry was her own fault--but too late to do anything about it. That death changed her; soiled something deep in her heart. She went from bright and fun to guilt-ridden rage.

My partner commented that that was one of the first times an NPC death really got to them, and I had to agree. Especially because it fueled every action my character took from that point forward, even if not fully consciously. She blames the people who actually fired the bullet, of course--but she blames herself more. Likely always will.

Highlights included my character awakening, happy--for the first time in weeks--to be freed and looking for her sister to tell her how much she loved her, the other character and other NPCs looking sad and trying to figure out how to tell her her sister was dead; a too-calm traipse to find a good burial spot; a blind rage-fueled attack in vengeance that ultimately led nowhere save to enmesh the characters in worse trouble.

Good times, actually. :)
Yuka

My longest-running character, Pulchra, had to commit suicide in order to free herself from a centuries-long binding so then she could be regenerated/resurrected by her mate. That was certainly something of a gut-wrenching scene to write, although that might also have been due to the music that I was listening to at the time!
Some of my oldest rps use to get to me, like I was such an emotional newbie rper (the good kind, like when you cry during a movie you love okay).

But I hadn't had an rp like that for so long until recently, and it really did kind of rip my heart out.

But I had one of my characters NPC the control of another, and this controlled character was put into a position where she had to wipe the memory of her loved one and others close to her in order to protect them from this 'master creator' of hers. It sounds logical, self sacrifice, yada yada. It was the most unintentionally dramatic, and heart-wrenching thing I have ever done in roleplay ever. I even made my rp partner at the time cry.

The highlights were that their memories were restored and she was able to reunite and live a happy, albeit temporary, existence with them until she did eventually die and was removed permanently from the roleplay due to the situation.

I've never had such a depressing roleplay, but it had more character development and build then anything I've ever put effort into. Cherished memories and definitely well-enjoyed.
I have had plenty of emotional, heart-tearing rps in the past 10 years that I've been rping on Furcadia. Most of them were brought on by character ties being broken and the result being rather catastrophic for my character's sanity. (I am not very nice to my creations, hehe.)

I particularly enjoy giving a guilty/shameful shred of history to a character and watching it eat them alive from the inside out, unless someone comes along to help mend it but I'm just a terrible person xD
I've had quite a few yes, but I think the most dramatic as of recently was the miscarriage/premature birth of my character Domini's first born. It was horrible... Great plot though.
All the time! It's what I strive for! :D

I think recently it was the climax of a plot my GF and I were doing with her demon lord character and my character, his human lover. A theme throughout, and the basis for their relationship, was a contract my character had signed promising servitude in exchange for a life of adventure. The contract was very important to the pedantic demon lord, who cited it at every opportunity and held it as the basis for their relationship.

We ran a plot with these characters where the demon lord's boss (Mammon) made a bet with the human that they couldn't get the demon lord to fall in love with him twice; the stakes were high, the demon lord would lose his memories and become bestial forever, with my character as his eternal chew toy. If my character could win the bet, he'd get his memories back and they could continue living as they had.

To make a long story short, it came to a climax where the demon lord learns of the bet made over him, and because he cared for the human, he wanted to break the all-important contract to spare the human the torture that awaited him if they failed (they were running out of time), in spite of the demon lord being very possessive of their human servant.

This would mean my character would never get to see their lover again, and they'd lose all memory of them ever meeting.

Thankfully this 'act of true love' had won the bet, but the lead-up was so emotional ;;
Yeah. Fiona lost her lover over a year ago and I was really upset over it. Cried a lot, but it's part of RP. She still misses him, but would not change what had happened. Recently she lost a good friend of hers (he died) and she's an emotional wreck because of it.
Roleplaying the death of one of my dearest OCs + his beloved was heartbreaking.
When MadRat made the comic of them, it tore my heart out all over again.
When I made it into a video, I basically stomped all over the pieces v_v
But dear lordy it was a great plot.

Now I need to go listen to that whole song again, because yes.
Oh goodness i've had a LOT, more prominently with my rather tragic character Morgue.

One of the most heartbreaking RP's i think i've ever had was my paladin Orc, Urgoth. He lost his entire family and is living his life now as a paladin. He first was initiated into the guard but then moved to work in the temple but retained a close best friend, Greene.

They both ended up fighting together when a vampire who worked in the city as the librarian went on a murderous rampage and Greene was badly hurt and left dying. Once the battle was over Urgoth and Greene's General (and family member) Arak said their goodbyes and then Arak ended his life.

Then they both were distraught and it was just the most heart wrenching thing i think i've ever rped. :<
OH MY CRAP YES!!! Just now!

Jerry Jay is the sweetest, kindest, most gentle person ever, but his lack of good judgement often makes his good intentions go horribly wrong.

This last one... It's hard to talk about, but to make a long story short, Jerry wanted to help a woman who wanted to have babies, but since he's a chaste character he needed to get creative, and this started a very short chain of events that resulted in the woman's suicide.

Jerry... took that very hard, but at least his kind nature won him friends who could help him through it.

But still, that hurt!! He's supposed to be a comedic character!!
Sooorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

*is a horrible person*
Yuka

Pulchra killing herself to release the binding that had been on her for the better part of three-hundred years, then being resurrected by her mate Vethos was pretty heart-wrenching. Doesn't help that we were listening to this while writing the death scene; Apocalyptica - "Farewell". But she came back ICly thanks to Vethos going into the afterlife. That scene came after perhaps nearly a year of solid role-playing, as well as taking into account various little side-plots going on as well.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Have You Ever Had An RP That Tore Your Heart Out?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus