Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Summer Backyard BBQ | Modern Day (closed)

Brandt Karr (played by Eros_Calls)

Maintaining the charmingly polite grin on his lips, he listened to Veronica explain about her twins that should be due soon. It also seemed like there were quite a few people in her family expecting babies as well. That would give her rug-rats some cousins and kids close to their age to grow up with. That thought gave him a small pang to his stomach. Most of his family was back in Ireland, and he was an only child. When Sparrow got pregnant, their kid won't have cousins close by. It would be something he brought up to Sparrow later. They weren't planning on kids just yet, though they were both in agreement that they wanted some in time.

His arm, that had been comfortably wrapped around Sparrow's waist, gave her a little squeeze before he stepped away briefly to throw away his beer and retrieve another. Without a word, only his sunny smile, he stepped away for the group of ladies and over to a trashcan that was close to the table of food. He dropped the bottle into the trash and eyed the table of food. Truthfully, he was looking for the meat, curious what was being served. This was certainly no southern style barbecue. He got a little disappointed when he didn't spot a juicy, chard brisket freshly sliced. He would have been content with some garlic smoked sausage or even some ribs. Either the good meat was being kept somewhere else for when more people arrived or he would have to be content with a hotdog.

As he eyed the questionable meat encased in pig intestine, a gentleman with his kid came over to the table and began serving themselves. Brandt watched the man serve the child's plate and then depart. For a moment, Brandt was concerned that he would have to swear off the food altogether. Kids spread germs like it was nobodies business. He was mildly concerned the boy would put his hands all over everything. But, thankfully, there was no cause for concern. Brandt grabbed a paper plate and placed two hotdog buns on the plate. He then placed one dog in each bun and decorated them with condiments. Personally, he was a chili and cheese man on his dog, but he would be satisfied with ketchup. With the dogs dressed, he carried the plate and a few napkins over to the ice chest and plunked out a fresh bottle of beer for himself.

He rejoined the group that had a new member. The woman who had been singing had joined. He came up next to Sparrow and held the plate in front of her. If Sparrow didn't want to hotdog, he would retract the plate and hang on to it for a bit. He had a bit of difficulty juggling the plate and trying to open his beer; he should have opened it over by the cooler. He ended up with a smear of ketchup on the front of his shirt before he good-naturedly asked Sparrow to hold the plate for him. "Love, could ya, please?" He asked with a light chuckle as he passed Sparrow the plate. He opened his beer and used the napkins to clean himself up a bit. Trying to play the situation off, "I'm a bit clumsy. Sorry for disturbing the conversation." He stuck his beer in his pocket and took the plate back from Sparrow. He took a bite of the hotdog and nodded his approval. For a hotdog, it was pretty good.
Veronica caught Luke's eye and he seemed like something just registered with the 6-year-old before he leaned close to his father and he said something in an almost excited tone, although in a hushed whisper

"Dad, I don't think that fat lady is fat! She's got a baby inside there!"

The color would drain from his face and his eyes grew into dinner platters "Lucas Anthony! I taught you better than that!"

The boy shook his head "no dad, I'm happy She's gonna be a mom!"

Even though he was now slackjawed, he managed to munch on a carrot stick.

"Little bear, we don't say mean things about people, okay?"

Luke would dart over to Veronica and he would dig out two rumpled dollar bills from his shorts pocket and he would hold them out to her "here I see you got a baby, so you need this to get stuff"
Brandt and Sparrow stood and both listened as Veronica answered Sparrow’s question. Somewhat delighted at the prospect of babies, even if they weren’t her own, she beamed at the woman. “Oh, that’s very exciting! Lots of little ones to be runnin’ around soon.” Her body leaned lightly against Brandt, but when she felt his light squeeze, she leaned off of him, knowing he’d be moving away from her. She looked up and smiled at him as he moved to step away. He likely wouldn’t go far, or be long, but Sparrow always missed him when he wasn’t near her.

That, though, just meant she was in love. Still, the conversation with Veronica was pleasant enough to keep her engaged. “Only one other boy though? The girls will keep them on their toes.” She said with a smile. Sparrow had been the opposite. The only girl with male siblings. That had served to toughen her up, but she had always wished for a sister too. She drank more from the bottle she held as she listened to Veronica’s answers. Soon enough, the song being played on stage ended and the woman who sang came over to join their little group. At her wondering if she was disturbing them, Sparrow shook her head. “Not at all! What a lovely song that was.” Sparrow commented to the woman, just as Brandt wandered back to them.

When Sparrow looked up at him, two things happened. One, her heart filled with so much emotion, it almost burst. The second thing was that she noticed he had indeed found the food. Hotdogs, which were neither of their favourites, but they seemed good, as they were grilled and a little puffy. When offered, she took the plate, but not in time for Brandt to wind up with ketchup on his shirt. “My darling, you never disturb the conversation.” Okay, maybe that was just because she always wanted to hear what he had to say, but still. It was an open invitation for any to join. Just as Sparrow rose the hotdog, another soon did join.

This one was a child. A child that said something so out of left field that even Sparrow had to stop and adjust herself. She was lucky she hadn’t fully bit down on the dog, because she wasn’t sure she’d be able to cover the cough of surprise that wanted to rise. Her honey eyes looked up at Brandt’s cool blues to see his reaction, and have a wordless conversation with him about it. It wasn’t a judgement, but just the pure and utter shock. Neither spent too much time around kids. Was this normal? She also had to cover the giggle when his eyes revealed the pure shock and secondhand embarrassment that she felt too. Still, the comment wasn’t directed towards her, so she leaned back into Brandt to await to see how this was going to play out.
He went in pursuit of his son after he saw her approach the pregnant woman. "Luke!"

He went and he lifted his son into his arms and he lifted a hand as spoke to the entire group of people there "we're sorry, everyone. Little bear here is just a very friendly kid" he said as he was still embarrassed, but he loved his son more than the embarrassment. He tickled his son a bit "we just gotta learn that there's a time and place for everything"

He kissed the side of his son's head.
Although she hadn't been standing all that long, Veronica had spent the previous day or the day before mostly on the couch or in bed, so really she wanted to stretch her legs even though that dull pain in her back was kinda starting to bother her. Then Brandt would step away, probably to grab something to eat, maybe another beer? Thankfully, the conversation about the babies would continue, although it had extended a little bit as Veronica had mentioned that her Sisters and Cousins were also expecting.
Sparrow Baxley wrote:
“Oh, that’s very exciting! Lots of little ones to be runnin’ around soon.”
"It really is. Me, my Sisters and my Cousins are all a week apart from one another. But I won't bore you with all the math concerning how far along everyone is and when our due dates are." She chuckled, a smile still on her face.
Sparrow Baxley wrote:
“Only one other boy though? The girls will keep them on their toes.”
"Yeah, but that means it's even though. In total, there'll be three boys and three girls. And I'm carrying two of the boys, so...yeah."

Genuinely, Veronica was very excited. Both of her Sons, as well as her Nephew and three Nieces were all going to be growing up together in the literal sense. Birthdays were probably gonna be weird though considering it'll be six birthdays within a week of each other in rapid succession. Either way, there was going to be a lot of love. And while the singing ended, the music was still playing, so the scene was still relatively festive. Veronica then saw Jane approaching while she spoke about her pregnancy, greeting her with a smile.
Jane Harper wrote:
"Hello, everyone. I hope I'm not disturbing you guys."
"Oh no, not at all. The more, the merrier. After all, it is a party." She replied as she placed her hand on her back since it was starting to ache, the pain making itself known despite Veronica's attempt to ignore it.

Soon Brandt returned as well, with hands full. Plates with hot dogs and a beer. Unfortunately, he probably grabbed a little too much and it wasn't long until the ketchup from the hot dog found its way onto his shirt, to which he asked Sparrow for assistance before apologizing on disrupting the conversation. Really, he didn't. He just went to grab food and grabbed a little more then he could handle. As Sparrow helped clean the ketchup off of Brandt's shirt, a young boy had approached her. Because her belly was in the way, it was kind of hard to see him at first. When he looked down towards him though, what came next had her a little stunned.
Lucas A. Swordson wrote:
"Here I see you got a baby, so you need this to get stuff."
Well, he wasn't completely wrong, though she was a little taken aback when he pulled out two rumpled dollar bills from his pocket and offered it to her. "Well, I have two babies, so I guess that's one for each. I'm having twins." She replied as she slowly reached for the two dollar bills offered to her, a little hesitant as it was rather strange to be offered money by a child.

Out of the blue too. Out of the corners of her eyes, she did scan the immediate area for a parent or guardian, because there was no way this young boy showed up to a neighborhood barbecue on his own, even if he was living nearby. And surely enough, a man ran up to the group, apologizing, at which point, Veronica stopped reaching for the two dollar bills. "It's alright. He was being quite generous to the little ones I have on the way."
Luke was still offering Veronica the money and Todd spoke up "are you sure you want to do this, Little bear?"

Luke cracked a gigantic smile and he nodded enthusiastically and was doing some sort of happy dance which prompted a small laugh from the father.

"Well, it's a bit rude. You should at least introduce yourself to her"

The boy, who was his father's near duplicate, looked at Veronica and spoke

"My name is Luke!" he chirped.

He would lean down and shout at Veronica's belly "Hi babies! My name is Luke!"

Brandt, at Sparrow's side, was a near mirror image of her. Both had their hotdogs hovering a few inches below their open mouths. The sudden appearance and shouting of a boy, clearly old enough to know better, had caused them both to pause as they were lifting their food to take a bite. Offered money, an awkward introduction - not to anyone but Veronica, mind you - the child yelling his name at Veronica's belly. It was too uncomfortable for him.

Brandt's eyes shifted from the boy to the child's father as he lowered his hotdog and closed his empty mouth. The muscle in Brandt's jaw was working, flexing and relaxing. It was something he did when he was bothered. He did a quick evaluation of the child's father and came to the conclusion he was probably one of those guys that let his kid walk all over him. Clearly, the boy was old enough to comprehend the concept of manners, should they be taught, and if he had a role model to lead by example. The man looked embarrassed at his son's behavior but didn't have the decency to correct the behavior. Seems this guy was going to leave Veronica to handle the kid herself.

Brandt leaned against Sparrow, looking to her to guide him through this situation. She was better at dealing with social issues than he was. Pulling from his own childhood, if he had behaved like this kid, he would have been corrected, made to apologize, taken away from the situation, and, if he didn't act better, sent to the car. Times were different now; he witnessed it every day. But Brandt was still uncomfortable with the interaction in front of him. From the tenseness in Sparrow's body, he thought she might be too.

His eyes averted away from the boy's father and swept the backyard. Over by the pool was a round table with four chairs, shaded by a large umbrella. That's an option. He cleared his throat and addressed Sparrow, Veronica, and Jane. "I don't mean ta interrupt, but Veronica, I'm sure your feet 'n back are startin' to get tired. There's a table by the pool ov'r there where we could sit at so ya could rest up a bit." His Irish was coming out, something that happened when he was drunk or annoyed, and he hadn't had anywhere near enough to be drunk yet.
Acute fatherly instinct overtook him as he glanced at the Irishman and he managed to push down and bury his annoyance as he gently lowered his son's arm and he semi-forced a smile as he looked at his son (he couldn't help but smile when he looked at his son) "little bear, how about we finish our plate and then go get ice cream? Would you like that?"

The boy's eyes lit up when he heard "ice cream" and he smiled "Ice cream!" He would poke his father's nose which prompted an honest chuckle from the man. He was still bothered by the look the man gave his son as he went to quickly make his way back over to his plate.

The father and son duo would eat, the boy with more gusto, before he wiped his son's mouth with a napkin. He picked his son up and after giving his gratitude to the man who invited him and his son, they would leave.
Sparrow was along the same thought as Brandt. Sparrow didn’t work with, nor was around children all that often, so she wasn’t exactly sure if this was normal or not. In her experience, yelling at a stranger you didn’t know was very much against the rules, and flashes of her brothers doing the same to their very Australian grandparents moved through her mind. Both boys were in deep trouble when they did things like that, and if Sparrow ever did throw a tantrum, she had been given the same treatment.

She wasn’t entirely sure how to react, as the child suddenly began to offer Veronica money. Honey eyes blinked in shock of the boldness, and once again, the thought of being a child and daring to interrupt an adult’s conversation would result in definitely being sent to the car. It was extremely rude where her family came from. Brandt and Sparrow looked at one another, and she realized her Irishman was thinking along the same. She could see it in those eyes she always studied. She could also feel it in the way his body had tensed and shifted beside her.

Although Brandt’s words were gentle, his accent had made its thicker appearance and she knew he hadn’t drank enough to make the music. This was his irritation. Sparrow’s eyes looked at the child when suddenly, he screamed at Veronica’s belly. The doctor was alarmed at this behaviour, and although Veronica handled it well, she was about to move when Brandt suggested moving to a small table. Quickly, Sparrow agreed. “Yes, that’s a good idea. Let’s get your off your feet. You’ll be running around in no time after these lovely babies, I’m sure.” Sparrow’s smile was still just as bright as the sun as she spoke.

Before anyone could actually move though, the father of the child scooped him up. Sparrow thought that perhaps he had recognized the situation, but she was a little disappointed to realize that he was technically bribing the child into behaving. Granted, Sparrow was not a parent, but most studies she had read suggested that wasn’t the proper method of correction. As they walked away, Sparrow sighed very softly, and looked at Jane and Veronica, that smile never faltering. “Shall we?”
The Boy's Father approached not long after he had offered her money. Quite the introduction indeed. Seemed like the offer still stood before he was told that he should at least introduce himself to her. He then chirped up and said his name was Luke and before Veronica could do the same, the boy leaned down and shouted in the direction of her belly. The sudden change in volume caused her heart to skip a beat and she lightly flinched. Thankfully, the situation wasn't about to escalate. Now if Veronica was moody, then things would be very different. At this point, she decided not to reach for the money in the boy's hand, worried that she'd prompt an overexcited reaction, which could lead to an anxiety spike as she was now worried for her unborn sons.

Scanning the surrounding people as well, she first took note if Brandt's changing demeanor after what just transpired. Must've been uncomfortable if anything. The expectant mother could see it in his body language at the very least. She then wondered what went through Sparrow's mind too. Brandt's voice would break the tense silence that briefly loomed over them.
Brandt Karr wrote:
"I don't mean ta interrupt, but Veronica, I'm sure your feet 'n back are startin' to get tired. There's a table by the pool ov'r there where we could sit at so ya could rest up a bit."
As she was about to agree, the young boy followed his Father away to go find ice cream, the mention of it prompting Veronica to raise an eyebrow. So he just shouted at her belly up-close like it was a microphone...and...he was getting ice cream for it? While she didn't entirely agree with that, Luke wasn't her child, there was very little she could say and she wasn't really enticed by the idea of a child being disciplined in front of so many people, especially if it was the...heavy-handed variety... As Veronica took a deep breath though, Sparrow spoke up too.
Sparrow Baxley wrote:
“Yes, that’s a good idea. Let’s get your off your feet. You’ll be running around in no time after these lovely babies, I’m sure.”
At the mention of getting her off her feet, it wasn't long until the pain in her back worsened and a dull pain began making itself apparent in her feet despite the fact that she was wearing maternity slippers. Oh well, at least no one could see how swollen her ankles were since she was currently wearing a maxi maternity dress. "Yes, I think so too. I am now feeling quite a bit of pain in my back and my feet." She said as she took another deep breath before looking over at the table with the chairs by the pool that Brandt was eyeing.

She then looked down at her belly with a frown. Unfortunately it was feeling a little tense too. Must've been how far along she currently was, because there hadn't been any contractions and Veronica wasn't about to freak out over nothing. Gently caressing the belly whilst still holding her back, she proceeded to follow Brandt and Sparrow.
Sparrow Baxley wrote:
“Shall we?”
"Mmm, I'm ready to get off my feet." She said before looking back towards Jane, then at the pool.

While swimming did sound relaxing, she didn't exactly bring a swimsuit. But it didn't exactly cross her mind because she was very self-conscious about the weight gain and didn't really feel the most comfortable about showing off the baby bump. Plus, she didn't pick out the cute dress she currently had on for nothing. About half-way to their destination, her stomach let out a loud and eager growl, prompting Veronica to blush as she looked down at her belly. "Well...I am supposed to be eating for three..." She grimaced.
Todd would finish his plate before taking his son's hand. He remembered a saying: "if you don't belong, don't be long" so he took the opportunity and he would scan the yard eventually setting his eyes upon his hosts.

He would go to the homeowners with a smile and he gave a polite nod to them and he spoke "I owe you a debt of gratitude for hosting us, but we gotta get going. We gave some father/son business to tend to."

He would then turn his attention to his son and say "what do you say, Luke?"

The bright-eyed boy smiled at the couple with a wide smile "thank you, Ma'am and sir!"

He nodded his approval to his son.
Jane Harper (played anonymously)

"Wah-!" for the man smeared the ketchup on his shirt made Jane jolt in surprise, but thankfully his girlfriend was there to wipe the accident away. Jane gulped the other sausage she had before but the kid suddenly ran toward Veronica and offered some of his money. Jean also felt a little bit surprised of this, she doesn't really have much experience dealing with a kid since she was the only child on her family. She thought that the kid's intention might be good that he must want to help the mother about the baby's stuffs but giving money to a stranger might become misunderstood and plain rude, especially when the kid also shouting in front of the belly. "Uhh... Luke-" Jane was about to mentioned the kid but just the time his father went to pick him up and asking for the ice cream. Jane took some deep breath when she felt nervous of the tense the man with ketchup on his shirt before giving a slight annoyance look over them.

"Oh, I'm the one who had problem with car. My car was broken. It was died at the front." Jane stumbled on her words when the time Brandt mentioned about the broken car. Jane was also hoping she could find anyone who could understand about the problem because she had no knowledge about any car's need. "Let me help you." Jane said to Veronica when they went to the table beside the pool. She offered Veronica her arm to hold as they approached the table together. Jane also helped to bring Veronica's plate and her own plate. "Do you need more to eat? I will bring anything that you want." Jane offered another help for Veronica after the mother had been sitting by table.

One of Brandt's eyebrows lifted in amazement when ice cream was offered to the screaming boy. Rewarding unacceptable behavior seemed to prove Brandt's previous opinion of the man was accurate. It would have been nice if the man had introduced himself to the group. But he chose to just walk off with the boy.

Veronica seemed interested in his idea about migrating to the table over by the pool. Jane was gracious enough to offer Veronica her arm and assist her across the yard and to the table. Brandt's hand found Sparrow's and their fingers entwined together as they followed Jane and Veronica. Brandt steered Sparrow a little off course so he could grab the cooler and bring it with them over to the table.

When they arrived, Jane was getting food for Veronica, which Brandt would have been happy to do himself, but all was good. He set the ice chest down on the ground and then his plate with the partially eaten hotdog on it. He pulled his beer out of his pocket and set it next to his plate on the table. He pulled one of the chairs out for Sparrow and made sure she was comfortable before he sat down next to her. He took a long drink of his beer before finally getting that next bite of hotdog. He chewed and swallowed before addressing Veronica, "Ya got names picked out for the little ones?"

Jane returned with food for herself and Veronica. As she sat, she mentioned that her car had died in front of the house. Brandt perked up but immediately looked to Sparrow. He would know in an instant whether he was allowed to offer his assistance to Jane or if he should just relax and be social. Though he would be much more relaxed under the car hood. Their eyes met, and knowing each other so well, he knew from her smile that he was given the green light to offer his assistance. Brandt's smile grew as he looked at his girlfriend. His eyes shifted over to Jane as he offered his expertise, "If ya show me which car is yours, I'll gladly take a look at it."

If Jane took him up on his offer, he would ask that she allow him to finish his beer and dog. He would also wait if she wanted to finish eating as well. He was in no hurry. He would need Jane to show him which car was hers and give him the keys.
The amount of shock that Sparrow felt for the entire situation made the woman’s eyes blink in it as she watched the little boy be offered ice cream. While she likely would’ve chosen to handle it differently, at the end of the day, the child did not belong to her, and she therefore had no right or place to say anything. Still, it was a rather uncomfortable situation all the way around. Instead of correcting the situation, the father simply chose to grab the boy, offer him ice cream, and then leave.

Luckily, it seemed that Veronica and Jane were okay with the idea of moving to the table. While Jane offered her arm to Veronica, Sparrow felt Brandt’s hand searching out hers. She laced her fingers with his as they started moving, only to find herself slightly off course. She followed Brandt, and smiled as he picked up the ice chest. Naturally, before she could offer him any assistance. She chuckled to herself, but followed him to the table.

After he set his plate down, Brandt pulled out one of the chairs for her just as the other two women had sat down. She looked over at Brandt as he sat too, drinking her beer as her boyfriend re-engaged the conversation. He asked Veronica of the names of her little ones, but also still seemed to be perked up at the thought of fixing the car. On this note, Sparrow glanced up at Brandt, who was very clearly asking permission. She smiled at him, and gave him the subtle nod that he would need. As soon as he got it, he turned back to Jane.

While he offered his assistance to Jane and her broken car, Sparrow looked over at Veronica. “I hope this is a little better for you.” She smiled at her, but chuckled a little at the sound of her stomach. “And don’t ever worry with us. We are huge food lovers too.” As she already knew that after this, provided neither got too drunk, they’d be searching out steak or brisket later. “Besides, the barbecue is pretty good.” She commented as she lifted the next piece of her hotdog too, swallowing the meat with a sip of her beer. “So, do you know the people throwing this party? Or did you also just find one of their fliers?”
Along the way, Jane offered her support to Veronica and the expectant mother happily accepted as her knees were beginning to buckle and it certainly felt like she could no longer stand unsupported. But finally getting to sit down felt like a huge relief as the pain in her legs began to subside. After helping her into her chair, Jane proceeded to step away, probably to go get food.

Just as she had thought about grabbing a drink though, Brandt had proceeded to bring a cooler closer to them. Well that certainly made life easier as she wouldn't have to waddle around the swimming pool. Not that she'd be able to reach into it while standing currently as her belly would just get in the way. Not to mention leaning over would just hurt her back. Speaking off, the pain was slowly fading now. Maybe she really was on her feet longer then normal.
Brandt Karr wrote:
"Ya got names picked out for the little ones?"
Veronica shook her head. "Not quite yet. Picking out a name for one baby is hard enough. But for two? Impossible!" She replied.

It wasn't long until Jane had returned, also getting Veronica a plate and then offered to grab more. Veronica smiled before shaking her head and then looking at the plate that had already been set out in front of her. "No, thank you. Maybe after I finish the first plate." She replied, before peering at her plate, which consisted of a hot dog with ketchup and relish, along with some chips and fries.

While it was going to be great, the biggest downside that Veronica could not stop thinking about was how gassy she was going to be in a few hours if not immediately off the get-go. Maybe counterbalance with fruit? She then reached into the cooler for a bottle of water since she currently couldn't drink any form of alcohol as it would have negative effects on the babies, which she was absolutely terrified of. She then started caressing the belly again as she straightened out her hair. The conversation moved forward as Jane informed Brandt that she was the one with a broken down car, to which the man offered to help fix it. While Jane and Brandt got that sorted out, Veronica had Sparrow's company. "Yeah, it feels good to finally sit down. Guess I was standing for too long. Though sometimes I do forget how heavy my boys are." She laughed before grabbing the plate of food that Jane had brought a few moments ago.

Veronica then proceeded to set the plate on top of her belly, wanting to keep the plate closer to her instead of constantly reaching towards the table when she wanted a bite. The only challenge from here was not getting any crumbs, or any ketchup or relish residue on a white floral dress. There was a robe stored away in her car, but that was meant for the emergency event that she had to sleep over because the incoming thunderstorm was just that bad.
Sparrow Baxley wrote:
“And don’t ever worry with us. We are huge food lovers too. Besides, the barbecue is pretty good.”
"Yeah, it's just that I've been very self-conscious about the weight gain and how big I've gotten. So I get pretty embarrassed whenever my stomach growls." She replied, though she was relieved to know that neither Sparrow or Brandt would tease her for it.

Concerning the barbecue being good, there was one way to find out. Veronica proceeded to take a bite out of her hot dog, savoring the ketchup and relish, but was mindful about it as to not let it drip on her dress at all, so smaller bites... After the first bite, she took a napkin to wipe her mouth after swallowing. "On that, we can agree. Just can't eat too much of it though. That's a stomachache just waiting to happen. And with a huge belly, it doesn't feel very good." She said before taking a second bite, by this point the hot dog was almost all gone.

But so was the ketchup and relish. And no crumbs or residue on the dress! Slow and steady. When asked if she knew the hosts, Veronica nodded. After taking a sip to wash the second round aftertaste, she then looked briefly towards Nina and Daniel. "Both Not super well, but well enough. And the fliers did appear in my neighborhood. I also don't live too far from here." She said before finishing off the hot dog with a third and final swift bite, followed by wiping her mouth and then covering it to muffle a belch. "Excuse me...In any case, how about you? Are you a friend Nina and Daniel? Or did the fliers pop up where you live or work?"
Jane Harper (played anonymously)

"Oh, it was not far from here. Just across the street. Though, I came with another man before but--- where is he now?" I should've said sorry for him since I left him for singing!" Jane shrieked a little when she replied to Brandt, she face-palm'd after she just remembered about the man's companion whereas she couldn't trace the man any longer after they supposed to go together to the barbeque. "Oh man, I'm a bit clumsy sometimes." Jane grumbled about herself, being embarrassed of her short-term memories, she stuffed her mouth with sausages more while her brain thinking on what she could offer the man as her apologize. Her eyes quick to scan the surrounding, looking for Peter's shadow at least, while Sparrow and Victoria have their conversation going on. She glanced over Victoria and Sparrow as they were being neighbor to each other and adding to the conversation. "Can I sing for the last time, for the babies? Maybe as their lullaby after having feast?" Jane grinned to ask for their permision.
While Jane went to the one side of Veronica, Sparrow stayed rather close to her other side, just in case the woman needed extra support, but also never letting go of Brandt’s hand. The result of this was Sparrow was steered gently off course while Jane took Veronica to the table, and the couple grabbed their cooler and bottle of whiskey. Her bright honey eyes looked up at him, sparkling as they did each and every time she saw him. She also couldn’t help but smirk at the fact he had shoved his beer in his pocket. And be slightly offended as a woman in general that her pockets would never be deep enough for that.

Still, her smile was warm and her attitude as bright as the sun as they walked over to join the table. To her surprise and delight, Brandt asked the first question of Veronica. One she eventually would’ve asked herself, but she loved that he was at least willing to try, even if she knew he’d be so much more comfortable underneath the hood of something. Still, Veronica’s answer made Sparrow smile. “I can only imagine. I’ve heard that sometimes you know when you see the babies though. Their names just come to you in that moment. Are there any that you’re considering?” She asked the follow-up gently as possible, just as Jane rejoined them with food.

Jane then brought up her broken car once more, which completely grabbed Brandt’s attention. Instead of just running off though, he paused to look at her. Because he did, and because she knew he’d have more fun with that than sitting around talking about babies, she gave him her go-ahead. After that, she turned her attention back to Veronica, who was telling her that she was self conscious about eating. As a therapist, Sparrow could easily understand why she felt that way, but she still wanted to put her at ease. “Trust me, darlin’. You will never have to worry about that with us. You’re feeding your children, and yourself. Nothing more.” She actually had the same attitude about breastfeeding. It was normal, and natural. At her second comment, Sparrow smiled. “Now that, I can understand. Definitely not looking for a stomachache. But in the meantime.” To show solidarity, and that it really was okay, Sparrow took the opportunity to eat with her, finishing off her own food before asking if she knew anyone.

While Veronica answered her, Sparrow was listening to the conversation between Brandt and Jane. It seemed Jane was a little absent minded, as she didn’t exactly tell Brandt what he needed to know. She also glanced her way as the small shriek she let out momentarily distracted her. But she turned back to Veronica after glancing at Brandt to make sure he was okay handling the extraction of the keys. “I don’t, although I was hoping to.” She did glance around at this, to see if they were still dancing or not before looking back at Veronica. “But I work at the university as an addiction therapist. I saw the flier, and thought, ‘why not.’ It sounds like fun and it’s a good way to meet new people.”

She was about to ask another question when she heard Jane suddenly speak to them, kind of interrupting their conversation, or at least the current topic. She blinked in slight surprise, and glanced at Brandt, who she still hadn’t given the keys too. She paused for a second to think how to handle this situation, and partly because she had only just met the two of them, and she wasn’t entirely sure if Veronica would want someone singing to her belly, or if the two of them even knew each other. Gently, hoping she was right, she reached out to touch Jane’s arm. “While I’m sure that would be absolutely lovely, there’s only going to be so many hours of daylight, and there might be some work needed. Maybe you could show Brandt where it is, and what trouble you’re having?” After she spoke, she looked back to Veronica, really hoping she was right, or that Veronica would re-direct if she wasn’t.
Veronica was most certainly enjoying the company she was currently surrounded by. While she was happy, it did make her miss her Sisters and her Cousins because they spent a lot of time together recently, even more so upon learning that all of them were pregnant. When asked if she was considering any names for her Sons, Veronica shook her head. "Not quite yet, no. Though you're probably not wrong. With how I'm taking my time, I probably won't make a final choice until after I'm in the delivery room, earliest." She replied, chuckling a little.

From there, they were able to enjoy a meal. Well, kind of. Veronica didn't eat too much and since the food was a little heavy due to it being mostly oily and even greasy, it did fill up the expectant mother rather quickly and she was very much full by the time her plate was empty. Only thing she was worried about from here was being really gassy because of what she ate. Not to mention the stomachache that would follow if the barbecued food was consumed in excess. She would then flinch as Jane let a out a small shriek, before raising an eyebrow. Must've forgotten something given what she had said.

Back to the conversation at hand, looks like Sparrow too saw a flier and decided to come to the event to meet new people. That was certainly a great way to do so; neighborhood barbecue to meet new people, make new friends and have fun. For Veronica, it was a way to relax and get out of the house because she did feel coped up most of the time, as she mostly stayed home during the pregnancy, never wandering too far from her home if she did go outdoors with the . The further along she was, the harder it was for her to stand for extended periods of time. Suddenly, Jane then asked if she could sing for the babies. Then Sparrow reminded her that work still needed to be done on her car and daylight was limited. Surely Brandt didn't want to work on a car in the dark without a proper light source. When the two made eye contact once more, Veronica nodded before looking back at Jane. "As sweet as that sounds, I'd rather you didn't. That boy shouting at my belly kinda left a sour taste in my mouth and the babies are probably still spooked because of it." She then started caressing her belly as she felt a kick against her hand. "And you will want to get your car fixed before dark. Because I don't think you plan on spending the night here. So...yeah, go ahead and take care of that."
Jay (played anonymously)

Jay was totally late. He had gotten the call from Peter a long time ago and only now managed to get there. He parked the flatbed tow truck down the street and walked up to the Phelps house. He was familiar with the place as he had lived in their basement for a while.

He came around the back and it looked like the party was winding down, so Jay called out, "I'm looking for a ... Jane Harper... Jane Harper... are you here, and are you having car troubles?"

He glanced around to see if anyone responded. Maybe she had found help already.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Summer Backyard BBQ | Modern Day (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus