Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Show off your OLD art!

I've dug back quite a few pages looking for a similar thread, and came up with nothing, so here we are:

I think it'd be fun to show off our old art. You know, that stuff you shoved so far back in your hard drive/deviantART gallery/under your bed that it would never have to see the light of day again? That stuff. Oh, that wonderful stuff.

Pull it out and have a laugh about it! That was years ago, and you are at least twice the artist now that you were then. It's good to remember the old stuff so that you can really see how far you've come. No matter where you are with your art now, that's a big pick-me-up if you ever feel like you're stuck ;)

Since I can't ask this of anyone else and not show some regrets of my own, I'll start us off:

ScreenShot2014-02-27at21614AM_zpsf61a0c78.png

Ahh.... that's the stuff. I think this one dates somewhere in 2008. Yes, that was supposed to be a man. I don't know why I put his mouth all the way on the bottom of his chin. I didn't even attempt to finish his torso. Geez, little-Allyne, get it together.

This was, I think, the first character I ever made. Maybe the second. And one of the earliest drawings I ever did too! I think it's pretty fun to look back and realize how much I've changed since then.

Now your turn! Let's have us some art therapy over here.
oooo... this is fun... let me see what horrors i can find deep within the abyss of my DA

I decided I want to show two XD

scan0005-2.jpg
This one is probably way back in 2006 I am not 100% sure....(There is no post date on photobucket) I tried to pick pictures that had characters I still use. So in this one we have Cerberus (Retired Char) and Raine and Zayne. (Dat hair Zayne) I used to stair at this picture because I thought it was the best drawing in the world... haha. Oh jeeze... Zaynes supposed to be 6'5 and 300 pounds... His waist is so skinny... XD

and now to embarrass the crap out of Raine. Here is this gem. Let__s_Dance_by_Reeno_Alchemist.jpg
Did this in 2009. I was just starting to get into drawing Raine. I actually didn't really like her as a character until I started rping as her. This Raine was super friendly and cheerful. The complete opposite from todays Raine. XD (Look at those arms.... yikes!)
I need to post to this thread when I can get home and dig through the dust covered sketchbooks of my youth XD
Heh... I recently went on a purge, but here's some stuff.

sd1.jpg
Back when I lived with my parents, they insisted I come to church every Sunday. I started doodling each time to stay awake.

Picture015.jpg
I love dragons, but I'm crap for drawing them.

Race_Concept___Acrondis_by_Novalyyn.jpg
Oh hey... only a couple years old, and something I spent a whole bloody day on, but it's a race I was working on awhile back. Six limbs with four digits each, and yes they've got double elbows. I haven't gotten around to working out some cultural issues, but basically they value perseverance, which results in them favoring the strong-willed who are more physically inept. The result of that is an evolutionary break between genders as females progress and males regress. And oh yeah, they're mountain-dwellers.
Sanne Moderator

Oh god. Okay, so, I started drawing thanks to Neopets on oekakis. My motherboard and hard drive fried and I lost most of my first crap. But I still have some pieces from 2002.

qU4GqBH.jpg

BtHVYbE.jpg

I had no idea of any sort of anatomy and was using Neopets' own images as references, as well as relying heavily on Anime. I kind of regret going with an Anime base now. It really warped my perspective on anatomy and hindered my progress significantly.

I draw a lot better now, but I haven't drawn terribly much in the last 2 years or so. My tablet stylus is also broken right now so I can't really make anything new digitally. I've been meaning to practice more by using figure, animal, hands, feet and expression tools and might do so on paper for a while. I have a lot of cheap printer paper, sketchbooks and pencils to use! :)

I hope to learn new things eventually by drawing what I see, not what I think I see, which has been my #1 problem!
These are all super great! For those of us that have a ton of embarrassing art but want to share it all like me but at the same time show our progress, this meme is great!

Here is mine!

Edit:
Here is a blank one
Wow, this is a really neat thread/idea :) I think it's great to show progress like this since I know a lot of beginner artists get discouraged when they see how good other people are! All of you have made such awesome progress ^_^

XD Reeno that picture of Raine made me laugh! I've not had the chance to RP with her but I've seen you uploading other pictures of her on my feed and it just seems so opposite of how she normally looks!
Loki wrote:

XD Reeno that picture of Raine made me laugh! I've not had the chance to RP with her but I've seen you uploading other pictures of her on my feed and it just seems soi opposite of how she normally looks!
Haha! Yes she used to be a super bubbly, nice person, then I made her dark and angry about four years ago
Claine Moderator

I only started drawing pretty recently, so I don't have any super old art to show. However, this is the first picture I drew with my tablet about 2 years ago.

GYi3FZ3.png

Aaaah man this picture is so embarrassing. This took me many many hours to do.
Heh... I dug up some older stuff.
amy.jpg

"Amy" is no one; just a random name I gave a random drawing, because it somehow felt right. But agh.
char.gif

This was an older attempt at drawing the characters connected to Nashyll (and hey, I think it's from before Nashyll first "broke!").
MKKloakGrudge.jpg

Ffffffffffft. This was an attempt to draw a couple characters a friend had made in MK Armageddon's Create-A-Fighter.

Oh. And this was part of a project for Health class back in high school, when we were going over eating disorders.
Old art hmm!! I burnt most of my old art, go me.

Astra_the_witch_zombie_by_Murderer_jane.jpg
2010, first RP character Astra. The witch. (shh, I love her, she's still my baby. ONLY ONE WHO DOESN'T DIE YOUNG WOOPS)

death__s_apprentice_by_Murderer_jane.jpg I don't even KNOW.

mira_by_Murderer_jane.jpg
I also really liked Chrystal Chronicles... ok I still do. A lot.
Allyne Topic Starter

Hahaha, these are all awesome, you guys! And that's a great meme you linked, reeno! Really cool to see the progression!
Awesome old art!! I'm sorry I don't have any, I either deleted them from my comp or threw them away. :(
Rinku (played by f0x1nth3b0x)

FINALLY POSTING TO THIS

This is the first colored picture of Rin from 2003... I can't find his first pencil drawing which was older.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Shika_obsessed/Screenshot_2014-04-16-01-15-26-1_zpsf2451deb.png

His newest drawing is in his gallery (the blue pencil one)
Goo

Maaan oh man. Most of my reeeally old stuff has either been tossed out or I can't be bothered to scan it, but I have some old gems waaaay back in my dA gallery. But I was really really annoying back then, so I'll just link to the pictures directly and spare you all from having to read my comments.

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs10/PRE/i/2006/093/c/8/Soon_to_be_T_shirt_design_by_Guttergoo.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs12/f/2006/338/b/1/Su_says_rawr_by_Guttergoo.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs17/f/2007/129/5/3/Silliness_and_markers_by_Guttergoo.jpg (Hint: All these dudes have pages on here, I've had these characters since '03 and onward!)
I also used to do a lot of really terrible comics like this: http://fc09.deviantart.net/files/f/2007/120/b/2/Or_maybe_it__s_just_broken_by_Guttergoo.jpg
I'm cutting it off at 'oldest art I have somewhere online and within reach' because otherwise we'd be here a while and you'd all be sick of me.

DanteRedux_zps583be1cc.png

2002. She's stuck around. Also, this is absolutely a Mega Bloks Dragons fan-character/toy, and absolutely a juvenile version of the dragon that came from the Man O' War set. Eesh.

Old_Art___Wolves_2001_02_by_ScribblerRigby.jpg

Also 2002.

Drawing wolves was how I avoided certain very violent bullies in middle school. One in particular would always come to bug me, but then see I had some new wolf or polar bear, and completely change her tune once she'd get a picture. Then she'd leave me alone for a week. These were also the years when I'd draw pictures, ink them, make a ton of copies on our store's ancient machine out of sheer desperation, and color each one differently with markers. BAM. Different characters.

Incredibly, it worked.

As far as comparison meme...ly things?

Tyler1_zps2e562076.png Tyler2_zps5e7c2f30.png

First tablet drawing, ever - complete with awkward Photoshop 6.0 textures vs. crayon drawing from 2009. Same ref. Both old and outdated, but there's still some painful improvement.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I have a huge amount of old art squirreled away on my computer!

view.php?name=serpentinar.jpg
I think my friend and I were designing monsters and then combining them to get stronger monsters. This was around 2000.

view.php?name=2000_byrmulf.JPG
The first drawing of a Byrmulf, a species I made up. 2001.

view.php?name=guesswhat.JPG
Another Byrmulf, this one from 2003-2004! :3

view.php?name=byrfemcol.jpg
And this one's from 2004-2005!

view.php?name=brownpurple.jpg
And one from 2006! :3
Tate

... so we'll start with my very first actual character drawing. 2003-ish.

Nanaka.jpg

She's still a character, but unrecognizable - also no profile on here since I'm rebuilding her - again.

Denise__Nanaka__ready_to_fight.jpg

Same character, 2004

I_like_the_clothes__shut_up__2_by_RadicalDreamerDenise.jpg

Same, 2005

Bright_blue_eyes_by_RadicalDreamerDenise.png

and her again, 2006.

And, ending this DA account, 2007 - again, same character, human and anthro:

Sea_in_her_old_outfit_UPGRADED_by_RadicalDreamerDenise.png

Saethryth_Guldove_marker_thing_by_RadicalDreamerDenise.png
tucker_by_ohermichi-d3gks5o.png

Excuse me while I cry at how off the anatomy is.
It says I put it up 2011 on my DA. But... just... omg
Auberon Moderator

xOA80S6.png

Yep.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Show off your OLD art!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus