Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What jobs have you had and did you like them?

Just thought it might be interesting and also give some real life info to teenagers who might soon enter the workforce.

Mine are the following:

McDonalds cashier - liked it
Jack in the Box cashier/staff - disliked it, too many menu items
Walmart cashier - liked it
Day laborer - hated it
Telemarketer - hated it
Movie theater ticket booth - loved it
Pharmacy Technician - liked it
Substitute teacher - often did not like it but getting the job is rather easy
Teacher -sometimes disliked it but now like it
ESL Tutor - loved it
I’ve had a few jobs over the years, none of which I find are worth talking about, except for one, and that was my Navy days.
Not really.

Turns out the things I have to do for money never coincide with anything I actually like, let alone gain any sense of fulfillment from.

Freelance work is definitely preferable to 9-5s though. Sure, one's more stable, but at least freelancing entails a project that I have a sense of "done" with.
I liked my Navy time but I still hated a few things…..Firewatch and Quarterdeck Watch. It was usually the worst, especially if you lost sleep over it.
I also really like working as a movie theater ticket booth. However, I do not really like working as a McDonalds cashier
When I was a teen I did the McDonald's thing and quickly found out that wasn't for me. I learned pretty quick I'm more of an industrial girl.

After that I worked at a sawmill. That was something I rather liked outside of coworkers. It was dirty dangerous work but payed well and was an active job.

Then I worked at an automotive plant for a Honda supplier. Liked that job too, really.

Then I tried delivering pizza for a while. Not my thing.

For the last 8 years I've been driving semis. Started with vans Then tankers and now flatbed. There's some things I'd probably enjoy more but I like flatbed work and driving a semi for the most part.
Oh wow.. let's see.

Volunteer at an animal shelter - LOVED it, sadly there are usually only volunteers/hard to get a job in!
Babysit - Liked it but only specific ages. Toddlers or pre-teens are the most fun! Elementary schoolers are great but ask many questions.
Steward for a soccer club - LOVED this experience, the downside is the late hours and how you only work once or twice a week/it's not fulltime!
Sous-chef at a restaurant - Enjoyed this a lot but only because I really love cooking and my boss was really nice! Small restaurants that have relatives as staff are the best!

Caregiver at a retirement facility - It really isn't for me. It's not my favourite age group and you barely have time for anything but bathing them and feeding them.
Animator at a retirement facility - Fun, but not fulltime hours. I maybe had 10 hours a week!
Working at a daycare - Mentally and physically draining. Too many kids under your care.

Desk job at elementary school - Loved the variety of it all, loved the parents, disliked the obligated bonding with co-workers. Great that you get to spend time with the kids too on occasion!
Caregiver at an elementary school - More time with the kids and thus more fun! Disliked the same as above.

Animator at kids camps - Great, but the pressure to "party it up" with other animators when the kids are in bed is exhausting (and in my opinion irresponsible. I wouldn't drink while having kids in my care). Obviously not fulltime but it pays well and you have a day off in the week usually, so it's a bit of a "vacation" at special places for yourself too!

Working at a snack bar - Fun but it only takes 2 months until you can't see fries anymore! Your hair and clothes also smell like it!

Working at a cookie factory (cleaning crew) - Cool because we got free cookies and warm meals on break time. Would do this again even though it was sometimes boring.

Worker in a factory (meat industry) - No, just no. I couldn't do factory work. It's boring to me after a single hour.

Caregiver at a facility for people with disabilities - I loved this. The facility was made out of little houses and in each one they had a group of 10 living there. Co-workers were nice, the residents were super sweet and I really got a lot out of this experience. It was the kind of job I couldn't stop talking about and I think the only downside is that I couldn't do that because you can't randomly talk about your clients to people! Still I talked a lot about regular fun moments that we were allowed to talk about though!

ETA:

Cashier at a supermarket - Fun, especially the smaller ones. You get to know the regulars and especially during day time when it's just elderly people they love to have a chat with you.
Bakery at a supermarket - The best. You get to be surrounded by the smell and sight of baked goods every day, you get to have the freshest of bread and freshest of croissants for lunch and you get to make your own sandwishes just the way you want them to be.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Oooooo. Answers. Lots of them. I am enjoying reading all of these. Very informative and so much variety here.
MY first job was in the library as a Library Page. It was okay, it got me somewhat through college.

Then worked at some private riding barns, and then got in to vet medicine.

Worked GP, Emergency and now I work in Specialty.
Cashier/Stock Boy/Grocer - This was a very short term job. In fact, I can barely remember my stint here, but I did get to work with my adopted brother. I definitely recall plenty of backroom shenanigans and laughing until my sides hurt! I'd have to say I did like it for the most part, but I was very young and carefree, so the crotchety elderly customers who would yell at me over every little thing dampened my spirts quite a bit. In the end I left the job to pursue the tipping industry.

Server - I enjoyed working for this pizza restaurant. It was a mom-and-pop stop and was very family oriented. There were a lot of regulars who were set in their ways so you had to get to know them and have everything in order when they arrived. It was just the sort of high standards and high expectations the owners promoted. The owners themselves were an elderly couple with a down-and-dirty sense of humor. I thought they were odd ducks for the longest time, but they hosted a lot of my Tae Kwon Do class parties after we did tournaments and it turned out that they were pretty chill folks.

Carhop - This was, hands down, one of my absolute favorite jobs. The money was bomb, and I loved my regulars. I was fast as all get out when it came to getting the job done, and it was one of my longest running career (if you could call it that) moves to date. I worked in multiple areas and at one point and time, I became a member of what was known as the 'A-Team' where only a select few would be chosen to travel the country and open stores at other locations. That was an adventure I only got to participate in twice because I ended up becoming store manager later on and they needed me to stay at the one location. I would have much rather travelled...

Technical Support Representative - I will never work at a call center again. This was one of my most loathsome positions ever and one of which I managed to finagle a year of my life into. The management was super shoddy, the job itself was intensely demanding, and if it weren't for the hilarity that ensued thanks to my co-workers, I would have easily lost my mind a long time ago. The office job mentality did not exist no matter how much the higher ups wanted it too. We even had a comic strip I made with our agent numbers of our ridiculous antics posted in our cubbies to maintain good spirits. I basically had to set up phone lines, voicemails, business transfer lines, troubleshoot issues, etc. I can honestly say that job sapped my soul and made me have a forever disdain for any sort of call center position.

Journalist - This is likely my favorite job. During my time in college I worked for the university paper earning credit hours. It was so much fun and pretty unpredictable, but in that sort of adventurous way. I was able to try just about every position sans editor in chief because I was but a bright-eyed-bushy-tailed newbie they could throw on the front lines. I did layout and design, I got to do editorials, interviews, and articles involving local news, businesses, and the student body. But my biggest success was the comic strip; Mishaps. It involved two main characters livin' the collegiate life and all the chaos therein. It won an award from the Associated Press and I managed to finagle Journalism Student of the Year my graduating year. I'll never forget those days -- they were some of my fondest memories.

Restaurant Manager - This was a poor life choice. I spent most of my time in existence doing this job right here. It jaded my views of humanity and made me realize the crisis of our world today. It took a humongous mental toll on me and was some of the darkest hours of my life. I won't go into explicit details, but if I can help it, I will never work restaurant work ever again if I can help it. It's the most dehumanizing kind of work alongside retail. The pay is deplorable, people are just awful to the workers, and as a manager I had to spend a lot of time and effort setting things like that straight after witnessing the appalling nature of humanity to my crews. Never again.

EVS Tech - Medical grade housekeeping! I absolutely loved this job! I worked there for only a year until I transferred out into my new position as a P.A.R. I got to work with an utterly amazing team of people that I still get to see daily at my current post. We took care of the entire clinic from top to bottom and we were responsible for sterilizing and deep cleaning each individual room, all lobbies, and a lot of the large equipment. There's a lot of fine details that go into this job and I thoroughly enjoyed the minutia and tedium each day I worked. We were always short-staffed, but it never stopped us from getting it all done and having fun while doing so. I will never have a more coordinated team than the one I had here.

Patient Access Representative - It's okay -- not my favorite, alas! I'm more of a behind-the-scenes kind of person, so a front-facing job like this one is very difficult for me and puts a huge strain on my mental bearings. I don't handle confrontation well or other people's random life stories when I'm simply trying to get them taken care of. I have ADHD so all that extra information distracts me terribly and I end up making mistakes. I'm still relatively new at this position, so I'm hoping I'll become more adjusted and perhaps I'll even come to enjoy it!

Literary Consultant - This is my dream job and side hustle. I've even managed to help some folks become published which is a huge feather in my cap. It's really a combination of all sorts of things from editing, revision, brainstorming, storyboarding, scripting, collaborating, traversing the different tiers of writing (technical all the way to creative), and anything and everything in between! I love doing this and would love to do it for a living, but the world is cruel and art is looked down on for a career choice. Perhaps some day I'll find my niche though! Some day my prince will come.~
I don't really want to go much into my job history as there's not much to say, but I've worked in customer service for a few years after graduating (genuinely loved most of it, even if it was on the phones) and now I'm teaching people how to do that job. I make my own schedules and have so much freedom.

Absolutely the best job I've ever done, amazing atmosphere and great people. A real gem, even considering everything the business has put us through.
Mcdonalds Crew - Meh
McDonalds Manager - Pure hell tbh
Gas station attendant - Loved it, worked overnights
Wal Mart Cashier - Meh
Wal Mart Manager - Super meh but not terrible
Medical Supply Factory - Best job ever
Amazon - Its pretty nice, wish i could have stayed at the factory but I had to move
princeshortcake

So i havent had a lot of jobs but ive done a lot of job like stuff

Scanned documents for my grandma- 8/10 got boring after a while but made good money
Worked the indy 500 race- 6/10 it kinda sucks working merchandice but made good money

Actual job: Working at a college serving food - 10/10 i love my job there, my coworkers are really sweet and the students are nice (for the most part)

Espresso86 wrote:
MY first job was in the library as a Library Page. It was okay, it got me somewhat through college.

Then worked at some private riding barns, and then got in to vet medicine.

Worked GP, Emergency and now I work in Specialty.

Well! That's super interesting. I don't know anyone that has ever worked in veterinary medicine so that's quite unique. I bet you have lots of specialized knowledge about all kinds of animals.

Atheist wrote:
Cashier/Stock Boy/Grocer - This was a very short term job. In fact, I can barely remember my stint here, but I did get to work with my adopted brother. I definitely recall plenty of backroom shenanigans and laughing until my sides hurt! I'd have to say I did like it for the most part, but I was very young and carefree, so the crotchety elderly customers who would yell at me over every little thing dampened my spirts quite a bit. In the end I left the job to pursue the tipping industry....
Some day my prince will come.~

I feel like I just learned so much from this post. I wish you well in your role as a Patient Access Representative. I enjoyed reading about your past jobs! I relate to much of what you said. And I wish you well at your literary consultant job, too! Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

_Skylark_ wrote:
I don't really want to go much into my job history as there's not much to say, but I've worked in customer service for a few years after graduating (genuinely loved most of it, even if it was on the phones) and now I'm teaching people how to do that job. I make my own schedules and have so much freedom.

Absolutely the best job I've ever done, amazing atmosphere and great people. A real gem, even considering everything the business has put us through.

Nice! I'm glad you like it and are thriving at it.

princeshortcake wrote:

Scanned documents for my grandma- 8/10 got boring after a while but made good money
Worked the indy 500 race- 6/10 it kinda sucks working merchandice but made good money

Actual job: Working at a college serving food - 10/10 i love my job there, my coworkers are really sweet and the students are nice (for the most part)

Nice. Love college campuses.
princeshortcake

Abigail_Austin wrote:
princeshortcake wrote:

Nice. Love college campuses.
Yeah i love my job

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What jobs have you had and did you like them?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus