Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Curious about Dice Rolls

Hello!

I only recently started getting into D&D and dice rolls, and I was curious to hear how you dice-rollers make use of dice in your posts?

Do you in your post mention what the character aims to do along with the difficulty of the action, then roll the dice by posting the response, and then go back to edit the post to finish the action in a written summary of how things turned out?
Or do you add another post afterwards, summarising what happens after the dice roll?

Sorry if the question seems dumb, I'm just trying to figure out how it works haha! If anone could explain it to me with an example I would be most appreciative! 😄✨
I'm sure it depends on how the rp/game is structured. But any time I get an RP that includes dice rolls, there's actually been a separate thread for the rolls. and those rps usually have a gm (someone running the game). So I'd describe something my character tries to do. GM would ask me to roll a dice in another thread. Then they'll post the outcome of my character's attempt.

Oh! an example

<RP thread> My post: She circles around and throws a punch, aiming at his shoulder.
<Dice thread> GM: roll a dice
<Dice thread> I roll d20, roll a nat 1
<RP thread> GM post: Her punch misses and she trips over her feet. He kicks her while she's down.
<RP thread> My post: She cries lol
Min-ya Topic Starter

silentruth wrote:
I'm sure it depends on how the rp/game is structured. But any time I get an RP that includes dice rolls, there's actually been a separate thread for the rolls. and those rps usually have a gm (someone running the game). So I'd describe something my character tries to do. GM would ask me to roll a dice in another thread. Then they'll post the outcome of my character's attempt.

Oh! an example

<RP thread> My post: She circles around and throws a punch, aiming at his shoulder.
<Dice thread> GM: roll a dice
<Dice thread> I roll d20, roll a nat 1
<RP thread> GM post: Her punch misses and she trips over her feet. He kicks her while she's down.
<RP thread> My post: She cries lol

Oh, that makes sense to have it in a different thread! I guess in DMs you could use ICC for it perhaps?
I am a little curious how people do it one-on-one, but maybe it's similar without a GM just that the two active players decide what happens. I haven't worked up the courage to join large RP groups yet hehe

Thanks for your reply and explanation!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Curious about Dice Rolls

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus