Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Raising Chickens without a farm.

A bight red book sits on a old store shelf. Facing backwards, the title hidden but the info on the back clear as day. "Don't have a farm but still want to own chickens? Or what to know how hard or easy chickens are to care for? This book has your answers!"

(Hope I'm doing this right. I have not done an RP in years)
Claine Moderator

Oh my god, chickens have always been a dream pet of mine (although they are not feasible with my current living arrangements)

What are some common mistakes you see newbie backyard chicken owners making?
TheSliverChicken Topic Starter

Honestly, I think I have made a few mistakes when first owning chickens. I didn't have them set up in a very dense area, because I personally love to have my chickens free roam, they gain a lot more personally that way then they do trapped in a coop/run. But when it comes to keeping them safe it either a run with a good cover or a dense bush/tree area for them to hide. I had neither when starting because unfortunately I didn't realize how much everything wants to eat them. No a days I have a large dense forest like area right by the front door that keeps my flock safe :)

It's also not impossible to keep a chicken or two in a house. They do make chicken diapers I take advantage of them with my sweet Slikie who likes to be inside more than outside with the others xD
Claine Moderator

TheSliverChicken wrote:
It's also not impossible to keep a chicken or two in a house. They do make chicken diapers I take advantage of them with my sweet Slikie who likes to be inside more than outside with the others xD

Oh my god that sounds so cute XD
Thank you so much for your answer!

Claine wrote:
TheSliverChicken wrote:

Oh my god that sounds so cute XD
Thank you so much for your answer!

Thank you for your interest. :) chickens really do make great pets. I am currently raising 3 baby chicks who I hatched myself in my bedroom lol and they love to spend time with me. One of them is the icon and name inspiration of this account lol
1 // Why did you decide to get chickens?
2 // What's your favorite part about raising chickens?

varian wrote:
1 // Why did you decide to get chickens?
2 // What's your favorite part about raising chickens?

I actually just kinda fell in love with them. I went to visit my bf when we first started dating and his dad had a love for chickens and he just kinda came home with some chickens for me and his son to raise, and we have had them ever since. Went through a ton of mistakes in the years but the current flock we have now is the best flock of chickens we have ever had. Have learned so much about them too.

My favorite part I'd have to say is watching them grow up. You have this cute baby chick and you don't even know if it's a rooster or hen half the time or what they will look like- and just seeing how they evolve like a Pokemon is just amazing. And the fact there are just so many amazing breeds.
As someone who’s been chased by a chicken or three in my life - is there a “chicken aggressiveness” scale based on breed? Were the chickens that chased me raised without manners? Must I just accept that I shall never befriend the species, or is there hope that I may some day cuddle a chicken?

Thank you for your time - have a good day!
Kim Site Admin

You mentioned a silkie - what other breeds do you current have/have had in the past? Is there a breed you'd like to have in future? :)

VivaLaVida wrote:
As someone who’s been chased by a chicken or three in my life - is there a “chicken aggressiveness” scale based on breed? Were the chickens that chased me raised without manners? Must I just accept that I shall never befriend the species, or is there hope that I may some day cuddle a chicken?

Thank you for your time - have a good day!

Yes, there is an aggressiveness scale in a way. The first chickens we had were very very mean. Found out later there are aggressive chickens and there are overly sweet chickens. Slikies for example are so sweet they will be bullied by other chickens being seen as the 'weak link'. But they are very sweet (in some rare cases a silkie rooster can be mean but it's rare) I have had a silkie rooster and I have a silkie hen. Both sweet and very cuddly. (my silkie rooster passed away from sickness about a year ago) but yeah there are all types of chickens, it's just seeing which works best for you :) If you get them as chicks (a non-aggressive breed) it will be easier to make it your cuddle buddy if you handle it every day- even a sweet docile chicken can become a 'looking' no touching' chicken-but they won't be mean or attack they will just run away and scream if touched. But it's very easy to bond with a chicken, like any animal, very food-motivated. Even if not raised as a chick. Just takes more time and patience.

Short answer to your question. You 100% can have a cuddle chicken and it doesn't necessarily have to be a slikie.

Here is a list of the best breeds in my opinion (I have 11 chickens-all different breeds)

Slikie, any Orpington (there is Buff Orpington, Chocolate Orpington, and Lavender Orpington ) all sweethearts. Cochin chicken, (these are ones I own so have first-hand experience with)

Here are some more chickens you might like and fit what you are looking for :)

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/lap-chicken-breeds/

Thank you for your questions I hope I helped and I hope being attacked by some aggressive breeds of chicken don't keep you from wanting any. Roosters are a bit of a 50 /50 they can be sweet or they can be mean no matter the breed- but they can be just as big of a sweetheart as a hen if given the chance. But just something to keep in mind.

Kim wrote:
You mentioned a silkie - what other breeds do you current have/have had in the past? Is there a breed you'd like to have in future? :)

I would love to have more breeds someday but I'm very happy with all I have currently :) I own a 100% pure silkie, I have a half silkie, (idk what she is mixed with the breeder who gave her to me lied about her being a 100% silkie but I still love her even if she has a mean streak lol

I have a Chocolate Orpington, a Lavender Orpington, 3 types of Polish Chickens (golden laced, silver laced, and black with a white head polish) a Cochin, and 3 new baby chicks that are Serama chickens. (one is my icon pic lol she loves to sit with me. Currently raising the 3 baby chicks in my bedroom)
Kim Site Admin

Wow what a range!!
How could I make a better ventilation system for my chicken coop? I have for holes at the top of the walls

VoliminalVerse wrote:
How could I make a better ventilation system for my chicken coop? I have for holes at the top of the walls

Honestly as long as the holes can't fit rats and are at the top of the coop it should be ok. I would recommend mesh to cover the holes a bit just to keep out pests you don't want sneaking in. I keep the door open to my coop for ventilation personally because the run attached to the coop is a strong hold keeping them safe at night. (Since my chickens free roam) and it hasn't been any issues for years now. So I think the holes you have are ok. But more info would maybe help me understand better if you feel your chickens are not comfortable in their coop.
Kim Site Admin

Do your chickens like cuddling or being pet? Do they actively seek out human contact?
Tell us about your favorite chicken you have ever had?

Kim wrote:
Do your chickens like cuddling or being pet? Do they actively seek out human contact?

Lol Mango my slikie is my cuddle chicken. She sometimes will come over to me just to be picked up and cuddled for a bit. Everyone else isn't big on touch lol

Katia wrote:
Tell us about your favorite chicken you have ever had?

I love them all and have a heard time with a favorite. But I'd slightly have to go with Mango's twin sister Blueberry. Blueberry was a slikie who had a lot of attitude lol for a while we thought she might be a rooster when she was a chick. But Blueberry was my original cuddle buddy. Mango wasn't big on touching and would yell when picked up but would settle down after a few minutes. Blueberry loved to be held and cuddled and she would talk non stop. She has been gone now for about 4-5 years. A hawk came when I was opening the door to bring them to bed and within just seconds a hawk came and tried to attack Mango and Blueberry attacked the hawk saving her sisters life but it cost her her own. The hawk had hit her just right as it flew away snapping her neck. She had no other injuries but that swift hit was all it took. 😢

Currently the 3 baby chicks my bf and I are raising are starting to enjoy cuddles and come running to us when called. So we will see if they stay that way or not lol I know Blossom didn't xD (Blossom my Polish was hand raised they same way the chicks are now and well she hates to be touched now as an adult and never comes when called anymore. )

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Raising Chickens without a farm.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus