Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Forever DM, Author, and Full-Time Nerd!

Hello everyone! The title explains it waaaaayy better than I ever can. Give me your worst! (and best, preferably)
Kim Site Admin

What is your favorite system to DM? What was the first system you DMed with?
I'm sorry I'm just not use to hearing DM. What is it?
Anakisuto Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
What is your favorite system to DM? What was the first system you DMed with?

Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition, for both questions.
TheSilverChicken wrote:
I'm sorry I'm just not use to hearing DM. What is it?

Dungeon Master, one of the 2 main roles in the game Dungeons and Dragons. A general term for this is GM, or gamemaster.
Kim Site Admin

Are you a forever DM by preference?

Do you have any recurring NPCs that show up in a majority of your games?
Anakisuto Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
Are you a forever DM by preference?

Do you have any recurring NPCs that show up in a majority of your games?

1. No, I'm not. Nobody hosts any games I can make it to or I'm interested in.

2. I have quite a few! I manage to almost always try to get some iteration of my main horror protagonists, Ashley Windsor and Jacob Wright, into the story, as well as a more surreal homebrew creature known as a Mind Lotus. It's a sentient plant with mind powers.
I've tried DM/GMing a few times and struggled to stay motivated. Part of that is nonexistent management skills. Most of it is the extremely common experience of having people flake out on remote games Every. Single. Time.

How do you stay motivated to DM? How do you prep? How do you deal with flakes? Does people flaking out demoralize you or are you good at finding substitutes?

What is your "white whale" campaign, the one campaign that lives in your heart that you really want to run someday but something's stopping you?

What kind of players are your favorites and what kind do you dislike at your table?

Are you a RAW or a ROC? (Rules As Written, or Rule Of Cool?)

Have you ever tried any other systems? I'm not trying to segwey into talking about PBTA or Belonging Outside Belonging systems I half-promise.

What is the absolute most hilarious thing that's ever happened at your table that your group still talks about today?

What is by far the worst experience you or another player has ever had in your group?

How often does your group meet up?

Do you draw your own maps or do theater of the mind?

Do you have an NPC that is basically the character you wish you could play that you fit somewhere into the background or lore of your stories every time? (Not like a DMPC but just a guy you think is cool kinda deal.)
Anakisuto Topic Starter

Aardbei wrote:
I've tried DM/GMing a few times and struggled to stay motivated. Part of that is nonexistent management skills. Most of it is the extremely common experience of having people flake out on remote games Every. Single. Time.

How do you stay motivated to DM? How do you prep? How do you deal with flakes? Does people flaking out demoralize you or are you good at finding substitutes?

What is your "white whale" campaign, the one campaign that lives in your heart that you really want to run someday but something's stopping you?

What kind of players are your favorites and what kind do you dislike at your table?

Are you a RAW or a ROC? (Rules As Written, or Rule Of Cool?)

Have you ever tried any other systems? I'm not trying to segwey into talking about PBTA or Belonging Outside Belonging systems I half-promise.

What is the absolute most hilarious thing that's ever happened at your table that your group still talks about today?

What is by far the worst experience you or another player has ever had in your group?

How often does your group meet up?

Do you draw your own maps or do theater of the mind?

Do you have an NPC that is basically the character you wish you could play that you fit somewhere into the background or lore of your stories every time? (Not like a DMPC but just a guy you think is cool kinda deal.)

1. I stay motivated because I want to finish the story I have in my head.

2. Prep? What's that? Kidding, but honestly, the only thing I do for prep is make maps and monster stats. Anything and everything else is all improvised.

3. I've only had to deal with one person like that, and when they bailed on more than 4 sessions I gave them an ultimatum; Be here for 3/4 of the sessions at the very least or leave. They left.

4. No. It just makes me sad that such a good character is going to waste.

5. My "white whale" would be a prequel to the campaign I'm currently running, which largely revolves around magic, and setting up the dominoes for the other campaign, in a way.

6. I like creative players who follow along with the story and have a backstory that fits.

7. I dislike players who have 'main character syndrome,' always making their character the center of what's going on and not letting others have their time to shine.

8. RoC All the way baby!

9. I've tried Marvel Multiverse, but I found it really confusing.

10. Anything involving a player or monster rolling a nat 1 on a check is hilarious.

11. One guy in my group needed to be forcibly removed because he was causing problems, like not letting others have the spotlight, abusing something I gave him against other players, and trying on numerous occasions to leave the party and split off by himself.

12. We try to meet up every other Thursday

13. I use maps, but I don't draw them.

14. An old character idea of mine became a prominent NPC. A reborn necromancer named Zachary Serdre. Pretty much just someone who gets the party back on track and helps them when they are struggling.
Kim Site Admin

What was your longest running campaign?
Anakisuto Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
What was your longest running campaign?

*hangs head in shame*

Like 6 months and then all my players decided they weren’t having fun anymore.
I've never played Dungeons and Dragons. What's the most important thing I need to know if I want to start playing in person (and I do). In other words, any awesome hacks or obvious common mistakes to avoid? What is the thing that players do that most annoys dungeon masters?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Forever DM, Author, and Full-Time Nerd!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus