Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Four Against Darkness (Private Game)

First off, this is a private game and it will not be taking players at any point. Please do not post here for any reason. If there is some reason you want to contact me, send a PM instead.

For those that are curious, Four Against Darkness is a solitaire dungeon crawling adventure inspired by the original Dungeons & Dragons system from the 1970s. The game does not require cooperative play or a Dungeon Master or moderator. There are rules to generate monsters, the dungeon and encounters. The dungeon is created on graph paper using dice rolls based on instructions in the rules book. If anyone is interested in learning more, you can go here. (link provided for informational purposes only.)

The purpose of posting the game here is to help me track my game turns and make dice rolls. I also thought other people might be interested in following along. Since I already have some fantasy characters ready to go that can be modified for this game, I will be adapting them into my party. I do not plan to post the dungeon maps. However, for the benefit of lurkers, I will describe the rooms as they are entered. Lurkers are people who just follow the game and do not participate.
Slappy the halfling (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

Slappy the Halfling
Race/class: Halfling
Level: 1
Luck: 2
Life: 4
Armor: light
Weapons: Sling, dagger (-1 to attack)
Other items: snacks, lantern
GP: 7

Halfling abilities:
Add level to def. rolls vs. giants, trolls, ogres.
Halflings may not use luck rolls when dealing with a minotaur (who eat halflings).
1 luck point per level +1

Notes: Slappy is the second character in the marching order by default. Unless stated otherwise or something happens to him, he carries the lantern for the group.
rolled 2d6 and got a natural 11.
5 6

Note: Starting Gold

Olaf the Ogre (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

Olaf the Ogre
Class: Barbarian
Level: 2
Life: 9
Weapons: 2-handed ax
Other items: Teddy (his stuffed bear)
GP: 2

Notes: Add level to attack roll, no magic items allowed, once per game may make a rage check (roll 3 dice, use the best roll- if against a boss, success means the boss gets 2 wounds instead of 1). Olaf is always in the front by default in marching order unless stated otherwise.
rolled 1d6 and got a natural 2.

Note: Gold

Laralute (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

Laralute
Class: Elf
Life: 5
Weapons: long sword, bow
Spells prepared: Sleep (may cast 1x)
Other items: rope
GP: 3

Notes: She is 3rd in marching order unless otherwise stated. Add level to attack rolls except when using 2-handed weapons. +1 to attack or spell rolls when fighting orc or orc kin (orcs and elves are hated enemies).
rolled 2d6 and got a natural 7.
4 3

Note: starting gold

Drusilla (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

Drusilla
Class: Cleric
Life: 5
Armor: light, shield
Weapons: Mace
Spells: Healing x3, Blessing x3
Other items: Bandage x1
GP: 1

Notes: Clerics and undead are hated enemies. A cleric adds half level to attacks rounded down, except undead where full level is added.
rolled 1d6 and got a natural 6.

Note: starting gold

AgentMilkshake Topic Starter

Adventure 1: Caves of the Kobold Slave-Master

The kobold slave-masters are a plague upon the lands, capturing goblins and other creatures. Recently, they have even captured Elvyn, an old, much-loved adventurer who started to police their area, wanting to put wrongs to right. However, in a new development, an escaped goblin has revealed the location where the kobolds keep Elvyn.

The town council has hired a party of four adventurers to rescue Elvyn. The party will be paid 100 gp if Elvyn is rescued and safely returned to town before nightfall.

The party arrives at the dungeon mid-morning. A set of stone stairs lead into the darkness of the kobold lair. The passage is wide enough to go double file. An unnatural sense of dread permeates the air. This is an old spell that protects the cave from intruders.

All characters must make a save vs. level 2 fear or a -1 penalty when attacking any kobolds until the end of the adventure or a blessing is cast to remove the curse.

Olaf is the first to enter. He has Teddy tucked into his belt and his great ax ready. He takes the first steps down the stairs.

Olaf must make a 2 or better to avoid the affects of the spell.
rolled 1d6 and got a natural 4.

Note: save vs. fear spell.

Slappy enters the dungeon next and steps up beside Olaf. He has his sling in his right hand and the lantern in his left. If the group is attacked, he'll set the lantern down and grab a rock .
rolled 1d6 and got a natural 6.

Note: save vs. spell

Laralute descends the stairs next. She has her sword ready and goes behind Slappy.
rolled 1d6 and got a natural 4.

Note: saving throw vs. spell

Drusilla enters last. She has her mace ready and goes behind Olaf.
rolled 1d6 and got a natural 2.

Note: Save vs. curse

Everyone is able to overcome the spell protecting the dungeon as they get to the bottom of the stone stairs. The corridor is wide enough for the party to walk 2 x 2. Olaf goes a few steps ahead of Slappy. Not far past the steps are side passages to the right and left, directly across from one another. Neither has a door. These are natural formations, like cave. The party can also continue straight although the can't see any details beyond the light provided by the lantern. Olaf motions left to the halfling. There is a short hallway leading to a bigger room and the party can remain double file.

Olaf raises his ax as he peers into the darkness ahead as far as the lantern light will permit him to do so. He slowly creeps into the left passageway.

Slappy cautiously moves up behind Olaf. The room is a large, unfinished chamber. The cave walls are natural and made of rock. The only thing of interest is a single goblin who is chained to the wall at the far end of the cave. It raises its hands to shield his eyes from the light. The creature clearly looks fearful. There are no doors and nothing else of immediate interest as the halfling pans the light around.

The cleric enters the room and approaches the goblin. "Hello there! I am Sister Drusilla of the Temple of Venivus, the god of life. Do you speak common? What is your name?"

"Me Rikka! Captured by kobolds! You help Rikka! Rikka friendly! Rikka promise," The goblin says.

The elf stops a few feet into the passage and turns to watch the main corridor using her infravision. She has her sword ready. She does not turn to look at what is going on in the chamber so her eyes can adjust to the darkness.

"I am Olaf and this is my friend Teddy," The ogre says holding up his stuffed bear. "Would you like to join our party? We're trying to rescue Elvyn. He got kidnapped by the kobolds, too. Do you know where he is?"

"Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm," The goblin stammers. "You free Rikka. Rikka help you find your friend!"

"Um, I don't know that that is such a great idea," The halfling says.

"I concur," The elf says joining the others. "It's either going to betray us and sound the alarm or tell the kobolds if we let it go and it gets recaught. Plus we have no equipment to give it so it is a liability either way. If we don't kill it, it will retaliate for not freeing it. That's the only only option I see here. Goblins are enemies of the forest and its inhabitants!"

"No, that would be cruel and we cannot leave the poor goblin like this. Why would it help its captors? We should either free it or take it with us until we can clear this dungeon and find Elvyn. Master halfling, what is your vote?"

"Well, um, that is definitely a point to consider I guess," The halfling stammers. "Let me give this a thought for a moment..."

Slappy votes to:
1. Kill the goblin
2. Leave it chained up alive
3. Free it but chase it out of the dungeon
4. Take the goblin with them.
rolled 1d4 and got a natural 1.

Note: Vote

"I think we have no choice but to slay the nasty little thing," the halfling finally says. "Laralute is right. It can't be trusted and will just have to deal with it at another time when the next dungeon is filled with its tribe."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Four Against Darkness (Private Game)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus