Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Role-playing activities at school (ASD)

Hello, everyone! I'm studying to be a teacher and I'm doing a presentation on autism and need to include tips and strategies and activities for English lessons and it got me thinking about role-playing activities during classes.

If you have a minute and are diagnosed (or self-diagnosed) on the autism spectrum, could you let me know if you like/liked role-playing activities during your time at school? It would be a great help! A simple yes or no, or a dm if you prefer would be amazing!

Hope I used the right forum. Thank you!
I would love to answer this! But i'm not a 100% sure i fully know what sort of activities you mean, so if you wanna talk about it in our pm, i'd love to help out
My history teacher actually did a kind of live action roleplay activity involving a group of aliens called The Tiffs. I'm sure if you do a bit of internet digging you can find a lesson plan for it that provides info in more detail, but he used it to teach about the invasion of the spanish into south america. I got really into it. I also still think about the things I learned during it to this day, so I'd say that's a pretty good success.

The other kids in my class seemed to really enjoy it too, so if they're any indication, that kind of thing seems to work well, neurodivergent or otherwise.

I will say I wish he had done a bit of a post-game, talk it out session though, because I got sick for one day and my second in command got us invaded by aliens. I was pretty mad about that for a long while, lol. As a teenager it was a little hard to let go of the game without proper closure/a wrap up.
Wixiany Topic Starter

That sounds really interesting! I never really thought of teaching history through role-play! Granted, I won't be a history teacher, but if there is ever a history-related topic in English, with culture and stuff like that, something like this could be fun! Thank you for sharing!
Anything that can connect a lesson to an interest that any child has can be greatly helpful for that child, and yes, that tends to be especially true for kids with things like Autism and ADHD. And yeah, roleplay can very often help provide a connecting point to help someone more easily understand and engage with an idea.

Something to consider: today, I've been reading up on monotropism (and feeling super called out ^^; ), where a person's mind is built to to focus on fewer things at greater depth and is much more likely to struggle outside of that. The research around it appears relatively new still (like, most things I saw talking about it referred to a study published just earlier this year), but there is such a strong link already showing up between monotropism and Autism that it's seeming to be able to explain a great deal of how Autism works.
Wixiany Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
Anything that can connect a lesson to an interest that any child has can be greatly helpful for that child, and yes, that tends to be especially true for kids with things like Autism and ADHD. And yeah, roleplay can very often help provide a connecting point to help someone more easily understand and engage with an idea.

Something to consider: today, I've been reading up on monotropism (and feeling super called out ^^; ), where a person's mind is built to to focus on fewer things at greater depth and is much more likely to struggle outside of that. The research around it appears relatively new still (like, most things I saw talking about it referred to a study published just earlier this year), but there is such a strong link already showing up between monotropism and Autism that it's seeming to be able to explain a great deal of how Autism works.

i lk forgot about this post, sorry! But thank you! The connection to interests seems like a very common piece of advice that I've seen! I haven't heard about monotropism before but it sounds interesting! And kind of like the general teaching approach to English I'm being taught at uni, for all kids, to focus on fewer things but go deeper!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Role-playing activities at school (ASD)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus