Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Any tips for making appealing ads

To keep it short it’s obvious I’m doing my rp ads wrong, I just can’t figure out what the things I’m doing wrong are
Hi there. You're a bit vague on detail here. Can you link to one of your ads? Also, there are some good tips on writing RP ads here and here.

It has been my experience that the more detail in what you are wanting to write the better. Adding in the styles and genre and limits and such can help as well.
Mina Moderator

I always suggest looking at other ads to find a partner with similar ideas who may be open to your idea too. They're also a way to get a good idea of what others are seeking in a scene partner, how they describe themselves, their playstyles, settings, plots, prompts, or characters, and which themes seem to be most popular.

I did see the LFRP ad you posted! Here's my advice as someone who reads a lot of these ads. I hope it helps!

It's common to mention what types of characters you think will mesh well with the story (male, female, any, traits, skills) that can help readers feel invited. Even if you mention that the criteria are negotiable and that you're open to any other ideas/character types.

Since these ads are an invitation, keep Who, what, when, where, why, and how in mind as your template. Not just for your character but for readers' chars as well.

Add some info about who Jon is, how he got here, why he's still here, and where they might meet (a tavern, a shop, etc). What sort of help does Jon need? Who can help him with this? How could they help? Why would someone want to help? What do they gain by helping? There are also many examples of posts that give potential role/dynamic prompts for readers to choose from or consider in topics on the LFRP forum.

Maybe illustrate the setting a little. Sometimes vague mentions of canon universes can feel discouraging to someone who may not be familiar. Describe it a bit, what are these periods, locations, and societies? Is there magic here? How do they treat newcomers and outsiders?
Since there is already some great advice I'll just add this. Read your ad like you're the one responding to it. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the person you're looking to attract. Be honest, would you answer your post? If not, try to add things that would attract you. Or take away things that would put you off. Visualize your key audience (desired RP partner) and tailor to them. It may be tempting to cast a wide net, but if your fishing for sharks and all you catch is tuna and salmon, it's time to try more specialized equipment. That is to say, be specific.

Good luck, and happy RP!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Any tips for making appealing ads

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus