Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP AD Questions

I've tried multiple times in the past with both non-fandom and fandom RP ADs yet no luck, so I've made this RP AD today in hopes of getting an RP Partner.

It's been a few hours and nothing. I understand this takes time, but what happens if I wait and wait and there is still no response? I think this is the most open, welcoming, easy-to-get-partner RP AD I could possibly make and I would definitely be upset if this doesn't help me.

I've been trying since October to get a partner, but either I get ghosted or I have to stop because the RP just isn't clicking right... I've also attempted to PM people to ask for RPs like people have suggested and I have so far been without any luck as no responses have been heard.

I have an extreme issue with something I can only describe as "Why Bother Attitude" and not getting anyone interested in my groups, my RP ADs, my ideas...is really hurting me and affecting this said Why Bother Attitude. It makes it where I just don't want to be creative and that's not good. I have motivation and inspiration, and I could do it, but I tell myself "why bother, no one's going to read it/RP it/join it/etc" and mope instead of writing. I feel as if I tried all I can and I don't know what else to do...

Anonymously-played characters, characters played non-anonymously. It doesn't seem to matter for me.

I have tons of fandoms, tons of genres (non-fandom) and tons of neat ideas, yet no one is interested.
Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself and complaining, I don't really realize when I'm being obnoxious. <_<

I do that sometimes. <_< <_<

So...yeah.

2f6bc51674c3dbf93ed67ac2e2e0da28.gif

I'd also like to note that I do have one, specific partner that has stuck with me, but timezone differences make it where I only get to RP with them for a small amount of time. I'd like an RP or two that I can write for in between my time schedule so I don't feel lonely and get this way.
It could be because the characters you do have shown as yours are all fandoms people probably are not interested in or never heard of.
Honestly, the truth really is that it just takes time--I've had a lot of RPs that I've gotten really excited about, but have backed out due to various reasons, and I can definitely understand the frustration when it feels like no one is interested. I have definitely struggled with the Why Bother Attitude myself, surrounding writing as well as art and other things--why do it if no one cares? But the best advice I have is to just stop worrying about how long it takes. I've been on RPR for a few months and I have one RP partner besides my husband, and we both take long breaks sometimes due to life things, but prior to RPR, I'd been trying for 4 years to find anyone to RP with (again, besides my husband).

In my opinion, it's really worth it when you find people that you truly click with creatively. It's fun to have more casual RPs, too, but getting really invested in an RP with somebody is something that's worth the wait. There's also the additional element of a lot of users being adults who only use the AO board, myself being one of them, which can lead to difficulty in getting attention on the general board. It's really not your fault, nor is it any reflection of your ideas being unworthy of bothering. It's just a smaller sample size, so of course it's going to feel like a long time, compared to what you might see other people experience.

However, the only way to find people is to keep trying, and keep posting interesting ideas, plots, etc., and to keep honing your skills at coming up with and developing those ideas and plots and etc., in the meantime. It's all practice, so long as you're thinking about it.

Additionally, working on solo writing is something that I've been trying to utilize in times when I'm not RPing much. It's super difficult to get there, but trying to work on things that only I really know much about has been really interesting and fun, compared to the internet's obsession with views and likes and attention as the only motivation to do something. You're very creative! You have a lot of good ideas! It's worth working on the things you like, by virtue of liking them alone. No one else's opinions have to matter. I know it's hard to get there, and it's taken me a long time, too. But I encourage you to engage with your work for its own sake, not just because of other people's potential opinions. It's really rewarding and fun. And then it's more likely to get finished, so you can show it to people anyway! :D

Anyway, I hope something I've said has been helpful. >_< I understand what you're going through and I've been there myself. When it comes to RP, it's quality over quantity, in my opinion, and sometimes that quality takes some waiting, but it'll be worth it.
So, I never posted any ads when I joined. I responded to about ~20 of them before anything started coming to fruition. And then I responded to more. And then of course, when it rains, it pours, and I was in way too many RPs. Then some of them dropped off over time because that's how life works. I have had to not answer plenty of ads that would fit my character/style since because my schedule was full. And then sometimes, the timing works out - and someone bumps or reopens an ad that I had to skip earlier, but now I have the space for it.

There are like a million factors at play here. But all I can say is keep trying. Lol the comparison will fall apart quickly, but it's like online dating - at the end of the day, it's a numbers game. Shotgun approach - try to hit everything, something oughta stick.
Your prompts might be exactly what someone is looking for, but that someone has too many RPs going, or are dealing with some IRL stuff, and can't add another to their roster. They'll circle back. Key thing here is not to take any of it personally, no one is ignoring your ads specifically. Sometimes you just need to wait for the stars to align.

The best RPs I have going right now started with me answering ads that I would otherwise not have, if I didn't come across the user around the community and saw that they were cool - then I thought, why the hell not, let's try something new - and it just clicked. I believe that's a compatibility thing that you can't really capture in an ad. So perhaps, that's an option for you as well.
Hi there. Sorry if I haven't been here long enough to comment, seems you've been around alot longer than I have, but I've been lucky enough to meet some excellent partners here and I'm happy to share some of my own thoughts.

First I think it's important to note that you will be ghosted and also that some RPs will just drop off if your partner isn't as invested as you are. I know it sucks, but rather than view it negatively you could come at it another direction and think of it as a chance to try something new. A new character, a new genre or just sit down and work out another idea.

Second I think the best way to get someone invested in the RP and world you might be creating is to also include them. Currently I have a single group as well as a few private RPs, but in each one I want my fellow writers to help me craft the world we are going to explore. Not only does it get them invested, but it helps develop the world and gives us interesting sub plots that we can pursue when they come up. Granted it seems you prefer certain fandoms so in that case it would be up to you to create a plot within it that might be able to explore an aspect that may not be as well developed but could tie in to that fandoms plot. Generally I find people don't like being pigeon holed into a role.

Third, don't give up! Look back at your plots and figure out what drew people in. If some of your plots don't end up working out, that's fine as it just gives you time to tinker with it. Prehaps your partner ran out of time or it just didn't reach the right audience, just give it a few months before trying it again. I used to RP on another site and alot of what I thought were good ideas just didn't pan out. When I reposted them here, I had such an overwhelming amount of support that unfortunately I've had to reject some people because I physically couldn't run that many. Try and chat with people who are interested and get a feel for them. I know its hard to do when everyone is so nice and welcoming, but finding the right person for the right plot is half the battle.

Best of luck to you, hope things pick up soon!
VarianOfOldCorona Topic Starter

Voltage_ wrote:
It could be because the characters you do have shown as yours are all fandoms people probably are not interested in or never heard of.

...Judging from this comment, something tells me you haven't actually looked at my characters and read properly through their pages. <_< I have plenty of non-fandom characters, I just have faceclaims from fandoms. (excluding Luca Barnes Haller.)

I have:
- Vischer Van Angeln
- Luca Barnes Haller
- Graben Rote Augen Grabräuber
- Gabriel Tremaine
- Tavio O. Alamilla
and some anonymous characters!

I am actually getting a slight bit upset that people are accusing me of having only fandom characters. To those giving me advice, PLEASE look through my characters first. Then reply. PLEASE do not assume all my characters are fandom related. Thank you.
I didn't mean it offensively. But, still, more of your characters that ARE public are canon characters of fandoms. And there is nothing wrong with that, everyone does their own thing and such. Sorry if it came off wrong, I typically don't use the words that actually are accurate to what I think. From what I can tell, a good amount of people on here enjoy original things.
VarianOfOldCorona Topic Starter

Voltage_ wrote:
I didn't mean it offensively. But, still, more of your characters that ARE public are fandoms. And there is nothing wrong with that, everyone does their own thing and such. Sorry if it came off wrong, I typically don't use the words that actually are accurate to what I think.

Ah, I understand. I sometimes say things that end up coming off completely the opposite of what I mean. I forgive you, it just kind of bothered me that you didn't mention that I did have non-fandom characters.
VarianOfOldCorona wrote:
Voltage_ wrote:
I didn't mean it offensively. But, still, more of your characters that ARE public are fandoms. And there is nothing wrong with that, everyone does their own thing and such. Sorry if it came off wrong, I typically don't use the words that actually are accurate to what I think.

Ah, I understand. I sometimes say things that end up coming off completely the opposite of what I mean. I forgive you, it just kind of bothered me that you didn't mention that I did have non-fandom characters.

What I really meant to say was that you have more fandom characters than not (public, at least). And plus, romance is one of the most if not the most popular topic, and you don't do romance, which is completely fine and dandy, but that limits yourself. Does that make sense?
You seem like you're a great roleplayer, but those limitations don't help, if that also makes sense. Everyone is different and likes different things. It just sucks that romance carries a lot of the interests/forums.
And to be honest, I'm not having good luck with roleplays either. I have one that I've had for a good while that isn't paused. I have like 3-4 all together but 2 of those are recent and one of them is on pause, since I haven't gotten a response in a week. We can talk about our sorrows together. 🤣
VarianOfOldCorona Topic Starter

Lmao, Volt... We are roleplayers of constant sorrow XD
VarianOfOldCorona wrote:
Lmao, Volt... We are roleplayers of constant sorrow XD

Make that pause roleplay count go up to 3. I have 6 roleplays and only 3 are active 🤣🤣
It took me far longer than I care to admit to figure out that AO meant Adults Only lol. I am terrible at acronyms for someone that likes them so much.

I also thought I would throw my two cents into the pot now that I have been here a couple years. Nothing I say is meant to be hurtful, but I have always been better at talking directly instead of beating around the bush, so I apologize if I am too forward. I am honestly only trying to share tips or things I have learned myself over the last couple years.

Firstly a couple of things that have been previously mentioned. The theme of many characters from the same specific fandom is likely hurting your chances a little. Especially where they match the main fandom of your profile. It gives the impression of a narrow niche of stories, even though there is wording saying otherwise, the initial impression could be strong enough many aren't reading that far.

Secondly I also noticed that several of the characters you have which aren't part of that same profession all share the same (or remarkably similar) talents and classes. I can honestly say I understand the attraction of that particular class (as evidenced by my own name lol) but it will dramatically cut down on the number of different stories you will find them fitting into.

Thirdly, as was also mentioned, the sheer number of fandom characters also gives a certain impression at first or cursory glance. In my experience, many of the people answering ads are doing so in fits and bursts. Looking at many ads very quickly that catch their attention. In this environment your time to get them to look deeper is limited. So even a certain impression can cut down on applicants dramatically.

When answering ads I sadly can only say what has also been said. Keep looking and keep responding. State ways you can make the character you want to use fit that specific story. Show you are flexible and excited to join. It's far from a guarantee, but similar actions helped me get a small amount more success.

That being said, really the only true cure is time and to keep at it. Some things I would do when the number of active stories I had that helped me was work on fleshing out my existing character pages. Or I would work on story outlines for ads of my own. Laying out world-building, villains, plotlines, or other things of that nature. This helped inspire me to new stories or to make better ads in the future with more responses.

Another weird little quirk I have noticed over the last couple years is that any ads posted Thursday - Sunday will get less responses. I am sure there is some kind of logical reason for this, but if I am being honest I have not dug in too much beyond noticing it happens. I would love to say I learned from this and started posting my ads on Mondays and Tuesdays when everyone is fresh to the week and I'll get better results, but I am just not that organized lol.

My last suggestion is not going to be as popular. I promise I am in no way trying to be unkind. When I started out another member here gave me some very direct advice that I needed to hear even though I was annoyed at having it all pointed out. It was all advice I needed, and once I really looked in the mirror, most of it was correct. As a result, my characters and ads improved dramatically. This person has since left the site, but I will never forget that. I am just trying to pay that kindness forward here.

Consider broadening your horizons and going a little bit outside your immediate comfort zone. I read through your open ads, and the ones that aren't for very specific character fandom matches are full of things you don't want. As my now gone friend put it: "If you are truly open for anything, you would be answering all the other ads"

I hope something I have said helps. Even if just the smallest amount. I have been through the lean times myself and they can be really rough. But to echo what has been said, the good matches are well worth it. Those are the partners you start multiple stories with and they all last a long time. If you really stick at it, soon enough I am sure you'll find you are the one dropping less interesting stories because you have so many going at the same time.

Best of all wishes
XOXO
Cassie
VarianOfOldCorona Topic Starter

fullmarvelalchemist wrote:
It took me far longer than I care to admit to figure out that AO meant Adults Only lol. I am terrible at acronyms for someone that likes them so much.

I also thought I would throw my two cents into the pot now that I have been here a couple years. Nothing I say is meant to be hurtful, but I have always been better at talking directly instead of beating around the bush, so I apologize if I am too forward. I am honestly only trying to share tips or things I have learned myself over the last couple years.

Firstly a couple of things that have been previously mentioned. The theme of many characters from the same specific fandom is likely hurting your chances a little. Especially where they match the main fandom of your profile. It gives the impression of a narrow niche of stories, even though there is wording saying otherwise, the initial impression could be strong enough many aren't reading that far.

Secondly I also noticed that several of the characters you have which aren't part of that same profession all share the same (or remarkably similar) talents and classes. I can honestly say I understand the attraction of that particular class (as evidenced by my own name lol) but it will dramatically cut down on the number of different stories you will find them fitting into.

Thirdly, as was also mentioned, the sheer number of fandom characters also gives a certain impression at first or cursory glance. In my experience, many of the people answering ads are doing so in fits and bursts. Looking at many ads very quickly that catch their attention. In this environment your time to get them to look deeper is limited. So even a certain impression can cut down on applicants dramatically.

When answering ads I sadly can only say what has also been said. Keep looking and keep responding. State ways you can make the character you want to use fit that specific story. Show you are flexible and excited to join. It's far from a guarantee, but similar actions helped me get a small amount more success.

That being said, really the only true cure is time and to keep at it. Some things I would do when the number of active stories I had that helped me was work on fleshing out my existing character pages. Or I would work on story outlines for ads of my own. Laying out world-building, villains, plotlines, or other things of that nature. This helped inspire me to new stories or to make better ads in the future with more responses.

Another weird little quirk I have noticed over the last couple years is that any ads posted Thursday - Sunday will get less responses. I am sure there is some kind of logical reason for this, but if I am being honest I have not dug in too much beyond noticing it happens. I would love to say I learned from this and started posting my ads on Mondays and Tuesdays when everyone is fresh to the week and I'll get better results, but I am just not that organized lol.

My last suggestion is not going to be as popular. I promise I am in no way trying to be unkind. When I started out another member here gave me some very direct advice that I needed to hear even though I was annoyed at having it all pointed out. It was all advice I needed, and once I really looked in the mirror, most of it was correct. As a result, my characters and ads improved dramatically. This person has since left the site, but I will never forget that. I am just trying to pay that kindness forward here.

Consider broadening your horizons and going a little bit outside your immediate comfort zone. I read through your open ads, and the ones that aren't for very specific character fandom matches are full of things you don't want. As my now gone friend put it: "If you are truly open for anything, you would be answering all the other ads"

I hope something I have said helps. Even if just the smallest amount. I have been through the lean times myself and they can be really rough. But to echo what has been said, the good matches are well worth it. Those are the partners you start multiple stories with and they all last a long time. If you really stick at it, soon enough I am sure you'll find you are the one dropping less interesting stories because you have so many going at the same time.

Best of all wishes
XOXO
Cassie

I was going to answer this, and I saw you signed off as Cassie and my brain just yeeted everything I was going to say out the window--
uhhh let's see what the hell was I going to say?????

Oh!
You said that I have a list of things I don't want, and you said if I were truly up for anything, i'd reply to the other ADs. However, all the ADs on the all ages forums are in-fact, Romance, which I do not partake in. :)

I also do understand, first glance, I look like a canon-character-only-weeb, and maybe... I should work on that some... <_<
everyone's pretty much already covered what i would say. i think i mentioned this on your previous one, but i felt the need to emphasize again that the rapid post ad strategy is probably not the best one. ;p

RPR is a smaller community, so posting five, six, seven ads and bumping them all simultaneously isn't really necessary because there's little to no competition to begin with. there's nothing official stopping you from the doing that, buuut, speaking from experience, there's been times where it's gotten so out of hand that i had to block people because their ads took up literally entire pages of the LFRP boards. like 7/10 ads would be theirs and it would bury everyone else's, hindering me from being able to actually find other people's stuff that i was interested in.

a little bit goes a long way here. pick one or two ads and stick to them at least for a month. posting more isn't going to help you because it's not going to make more people appear - you just have to be patient and wait for readers to find your ad, which can take days, weeks, or months.
"I get ghosted or I have to stop because the RP just isn't clicking right."

1) Have you tried just writing fanfiction / original fiction? That way you don't have to rely on another person to do creative things or explore fiction.

2) Have you tried actually talking to your RP partners about what isn't clicking? And,

2.5) Have you tried compromising on imperfections that your partners might have?

All we can ever do is offer our best foot forward, and trust that's what our writing partners are also offering, and forgive the discrepancies in the meanwhile. Plotting can always change, storylines can always be restructured, characters can always have room to grow and learn; roleplay is about active cooperation and communication with other writers, not throwing a bunch of words at a wall in order to get a perfect answer.
Voltage_ wrote:
You seem like you're a great roleplayer, but those limitations don't help, if that also makes sense. Everyone is different and likes different things. It just sucks that romance carries a lot of the interests/forums.

I heavily agree with you there. From my experience, getting into romance early is really the end of the RP since there's no built up or the two are just forced into sex. I've done that a lot in the past unfortunately and it took me a while to finally focus more on character arcs and the story.

And from my experience, a lot of the people that want romance and get into it quickly tend to be a bunch of horny wankers.
And Varian, I did see an ad of yours that you posted before. It had something to do with airplane and airplane races, and you wanting to use your character called Dune. I had considered PMing you originally and making a character in the Steampunk genre, but in the end I decided not to.

I'll be honest, the ad just didn't feel like it was done with care. The ellipses don't really help. It really tells how not so confident you feel about this RP prompt and that you're just throwing it out there and hoping for the best. I understand why because of what you said here.

Unfortunately, this prompt just feels... very niche. Like it's so niche that you're probably the only one I've seen wanting to have an RP specifically about airplanes and racing in the sky. And I was just mildly interested. I wasn't really sold on this idea you were trying to pitch in the ad.

And the character, Dune. He kind of needs more work. To me, he's kind of barren. Like I don't see his personality or his history. It kind of makes me feel a... little iffy.

So, yeah. Sorry if I'm a little brutal. I don't know the full thing about you yet, so I will refrain from giving my full opinion and just give my opinion of your ad and your character from first impressions.

But, I'd say, just keep on trying. You eventually find someone that will be interested in your ideas, like your new friend Anakisuto :D.

Though in my experience, I find more RPs by just watching ads that fly out that interest me, then I PM the person and ask them questions, mostly related to worldbuilding, to their posting style, to their work life, to their posting time, if they want OOC banter, etc. Them questions help me get a gauge of them. I've actually gotten a few RPs the past few months, but one told me he got a government job and couldn't be on here anymore. And one ghosted me even though we had a good RP and OOC banter going. I might message her within the next month to see if she's still here, but I have little doubt that her veterinarian job had made her so busy.

Her character, Zelenia Nokomis, and my character, Aegon Schmidt, were really bouncing off of each other really well since the two of us were exploring their childhood arcs and past selves. It's only too bad we never got too far into the RP and into their adult selves. Oh well, I'm sure she'll be back. If not, I could always write the story ahead and finish it myself.
VarianOfOldCorona Topic Starter

Torag1000 wrote:
And Varian, I did see an ad of yours that you posted before. It had something to do with airplane and airplane races, and you wanting to use your character called Dune. I had considered PMing you originally and making a character in the Steampunk genre, but in the end I decided not to.

I'll be honest, the ad just didn't feel like it was done with care. The ellipses don't really help. It really tells how not so confident you feel about this RP prompt and that you're just throwing it out there and hoping for the best. I understand why because of what you said here.

Unfortunately, this prompt just feels... very niche. Like it's so niche that you're probably the only one I've seen wanting to have an RP specifically about airplanes and racing in the sky. And I was just mildly interested. I wasn't really sold on this idea you were trying to pitch in the ad.

And the character, Dune. He kind of needs more work. To me, he's kind of barren. Like I don't see his personality or his history. It kind of makes me feel a... little iffy.

So, yeah. Sorry if I'm a little brutal. I don't know the full thing about you yet, so I will refrain from giving my full opinion and just give my opinion of your ad and your character from first impressions.

But, I'd say, just keep on trying. You eventually find someone that will be interested in your ideas, like your new friend Anakisuto :D.

Though in my experience, I find more RPs by just watching ads that fly out that interest me, then I PM the person and ask them questions, mostly related to worldbuilding, to their posting style, to their work life, to their posting time, if they want OOC banter, etc. Them questions help me get a gauge of them. I've actually gotten a few RPs the past few months, but one told me he got a government job and couldn't be on here anymore. And one ghosted me even though we had a good RP and OOC banter going. I might message her within the next month to see if she's still here, but I have little doubt that her veterinarian job had made her so busy.

I actually have a lot of lore behind Dune and the airplane racing AU, but...I felt really, really discouraged at the time and didn't feel like writing any of it down because I felt as if no one would join. :')

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP AD Questions

Moderators: Keke, Cass, Claine, Dragonfire, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus