Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Counting Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Counting Symbol in Epic Week 2024. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Counting Symbol
Ilmarinen Moderator

This symbol looks a bit like a dinosaur footprint to me!
"Counting" seems like an odd name for a footprint, unless it's a date or something. Like, odd enough that it seems like it's gotta be meaningful.
I was thinking maybe it's just measuring in feet 😭 😂 but that makes a lot more sense, if it's uhhhh geo whatsit measurements... Google says relative dating, comparing fossils/footprints to others, and absolute dating using radiometric dating.

I was not expecting more clues/riddles here!
Claine Moderator

Where all our Icy members at
A measurement, speed but I'd wager it could also be time with how it's phrased? Kinda wanna think lightyears, ages, eons...

But it's also making think stuff like "all your ducks in a row"

Or "ostridge speed"

Some Doubutter come here. I haven't played at all. XD
This... might be an equation. Last clue makes me think it means a void, absence of friction to slow something.

So maybe lightspeed, terminal velocity, something about gravity or orbit...

Just throwing out ideas. ^^;
Dragonfire Moderator

The absense of work? Like a soaring bird, maybe?
I'm thinking of the speed of light, since it happens "effortlessly" or "without work", and it is very fast. Just my thoughts 🤷
This makes me think of resistance. Cause when you stop working, inertia or resistance comes into effect.
Inertia is at play when something is moving, too. "Object in motion stays in motion." It takes resistance to slow/stop it.
Ilmarinen Moderator

"Work" in physics has a specific meaning. It's force times distance, I think?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Maybe centripetal force?
I was just looking at work in physics 😊 I figured there's probably a specific property I'm missing, but this seemed like it could be noteworthy if not.
"The ancient Greek understanding of physics was limited to the statics of simple machines (the balance of forces), and did not include dynamics or the concept of work."
Ilmarinen Moderator

Bonus clue says we are looking at computing.

Flops (floating point operations) are a measure of power and thereby speed of a computer, but I'm not sure how the absence of work would play into it
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

If you can work out whose foot that is, you'll have worked out another big clue ;)
Dragonfire Moderator

It almost looks like… oh, what’s the Linus penguins name again
Is it a swan footprint?
Dragonfire Moderator

Ah! Tux! It’s Tux’s foot.
Dragonfire Moderator

Something to do with Linux, then.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Counting Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus