Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Counting Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Dragonfire Moderator

I’m half thinking it might have something to do with distributed systems like folding@home , but I haven’t been able to suss anything out yet
Dragonfire Moderator

During pandemic lockdowns, F@H reached a stupid level of computing power thanks to a bunch of work machines just sitting idle.
I actually looked into this!! We might be looking at spacecrafts run with Linux.
If this has to do with the Linux coding software and general, searching the web for more Intel on it could help a ton.
Has anyone tried Phoronix? As, in the Phoronix Test Suite?
That's the one thing that comes to mind when talking about Linux and measurement.
Dragonfire Moderator

I don’t think so? But if you have any ideas about what to try, put ‘em down, and we can fed it in next time things are open.

I found a stat breakdown of foldingathome’s fastest day by OS, so maybe the Linux teraflops there will work.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "BogoMip".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)
onion, writer of this riddle wrote:
  • BogoMips are a crude measurement of CPU speed made by the Linux kernel when it boots to calibrate an internal busy-loop.
  • Ostensibly speed: Bogomips are calculated by counting millions of meaningless actions per second. They give you an idea of your system’s speed, but aren’t a direct measurement. Because they’re such an iffy measurement, they are usually not relied upon beyond confirming that the system is working correctly.
  • Absence of work: The speed measurement does no useful work, and does not use parallelization.
What a good one, I should have gotten my brother on it.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2024 » Counting Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus