Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "Artist" field for gallery images

Ilmarinen Moderator

I was adding some gallery images when this came to me. Basically, when we upload an image, we can put in a title and a description. I was wondering if it were possible to include a field for "artist" as well. This forces people to think about the origins of their image, and can be more uniformly incorporated onto the image viewer--so we know, for instance, to look at the lower right corner for artist name no matter whose page we're on. (Or something.)
WOuld be interesting, I found it strange it wasn't there the first time I uploaded a picture. I always write who drew it in the description instead.
I have a little add-on to this suggestion.

Maybe it would be possible for us to move the pictures around, instead of having them ordered from first-uploaded to latest, we could order them how we wanted. 'cause a lot of my newer pictures I put on my characters websites are the best ones, and the ones I prefer people to see first. But aside from deleting all the pictures and then reuploading them all, there's no way to make it happen. None that I've seen/heard of, at least.
Sanne Moderator

CelestinaGrey wrote:

Maybe it would be possible for us to move the pictures around, instead of having them ordered from first-uploaded to latest, we could order them how we wanted. 'cause a lot of my newer pictures I put on my characters websites are the best ones, and the ones I prefer people to see first. But aside from deleting all the pictures and then reuploading them all, there's no way to make it happen. None that I've seen/heard of, at least.

There is a way! I always click the thumbnail or on "Description:" and drag my mouse down or up. After this I release the mouse button and I'm able to move the images.

I do think this can be made more use friendly though, as it feels like it's not supposed to do that due to the fact I have to release the mouse button in order to see it's movable.
Sanne wrote:
CelestinaGrey wrote:

There is a way! I always click the thumbnail or on "Description:" and drag my mouse down or up. After this I release the mouse button and I'm able to move the images.

I do think this can be made more use friendly though, as it feels like it's not supposed to do that due to the fact I have to release the mouse button in order to see it's movable.

Ah, there we go. It's a bit blippy with IE.
If I'm understanding this suggestion correctly, I'm all for this, but not quite for the "makes you think about image origins" (although I'm all for this as well!) Sometimes the description gets a little full/busy when you have both the image description and a little note of who drew it. Would look cleaner to be able to have separate "lines"/fields for both.
Kim Site Admin

Interesting! I'd been imagining that's what the descriptions were for, but I could see an artist field being a very good thing, especially for this crowd. I think we can accommodate this.
Sanne wrote:

Most browsers seem to hate being grabbed by the image. If you grab near the images, or on the text (not the text boxes. For example, the word "mature" or any white space on the line) it works much more as expected.

But since people suggest all the time that images should be re-orderable, I think we need a draggable indicator icon to show up on it somewhere.

P.S. I changed the title of this thread, since pretty much all topics in this forum are suggestions and having a clearly descriptive title helps me to find things to double check their popularity and how people described their imaginings of them later.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Might I take it a step further and suggest allowing the artist field to also be a link to that artist's site?
Ilmarinen Topic Starter Moderator

Copper_Dragon wrote:
If I'm understanding this suggestion correctly, I'm all for this, but not quite for the "makes you think about image origins" (although I'm all for this as well!) Sometimes the description gets a little full/busy when you have both the image description and a little note of who drew it. Would look cleaner to be able to have separate "lines"/fields for both.

Well, some folks may have an image that they just found and saved to their computer, not knowing its origins. Having an "artist" field (and Darth, I do like the idea of having it link to the artist's site) makes those people stop and think, even just for a brief moment, "huh, I don't know the answer to that." Maybe they'll ignore it and just put "found on Google/Photobucket" but maybe it will convince them to go and see if they can find the artist. It may, however subtly and slowly, help stop the problem of using art without credit/research. :)
Heimdall wrote:
Copper_Dragon wrote:

Well, some folks may have an image that they just found and saved to their computer, not knowing its origins. Having an "artist" field (and Darth, I do like the idea of having it link to the artist's site) makes those people stop and think, even just for a brief moment, "huh, I don't know the answer to that." Maybe they'll ignore it and just put "found on Google/Photobucket" but maybe it will convince them to go and see if they can find the artist. It may, however subtly and slowly, help stop the problem of using art without credit/research. :)

True, true. Granted that doesn't hit me as hard because I instinctively make a note of who drew what for me anyway. Ehe, but I am all for this! Completely! Don't get me wrong on that. I do have a question though-- what if there isn't a site to go to? Like, what if I draw some character art for someone? I don't have an "artistic site" or a personal site. Would I just tell people, "Feel free to link it to my RPR profile" (since that's probably the closest to a personal site I have these days)?
Kim Site Admin

I was just going to have it be a BBCode enabled textarea, so you could put in the link if you had it and not if they don't have one.
Kim Site Admin

By the by, this is now in the development task list: http://www.rprepository.com/development/developmentTask.php?task=140

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » "Artist" field for gallery images

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus