Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » More character connection shenanigans

I am fully prepared to have this shot down, because the Connections widget and its precautions are already firmly set in stone, but!

Could it be possible to make it so we can select multiple connections for a pair of characters? Hold on, hear me out, I have an example of why this came to light in my wee mind:

So I've got these two brothers, Draconus & Murdoch, who through recent IC events have come to acknowledge each others' presence in the world.

Unfortunately, one's a paladin and the other is a pirate, and there's already tension between them that I'm fairly sure will blossom into some sort of good vs evil conflict one year, which would firmly put them in the enemies column. Unless something goes down where they disown one another, they'll also always continue to be family (even if it stands on shaky and bitter ground), and honestly I'd love to convey the double-connection between them.

Question 1: Is it possible to do this, by turning the circle-selections into check boxes to enable more than one selection?
Question 2: Is there a possibility that this will end up being confusing to other members? The only reason I probably understand my own family-enemy connection is because I have a very good understanding of their complicated relationship, and I'm in control of both sides, so I know 100% what is going on between both profiles & characters. If this would be confusing, I'd love to actually get feedback on that beyond someone speculating "Well, it might".

Too Long; Didn't Read: I want to be able to do multiple connections between two characters. Can we do this w/o bamboozling the community?
Kim Site Admin

I think the actual making of connections wouldn't be confusing, it would come later when someone tried to delete a friend/family member. The interface would have to be extra-obvious and designed to deal with this from the get-go.

Although, I can't really think of a combination of this that would be common aside from family + something else.. Friend and enemy at the same time makes little sense aside from characters with multiple personalities, and acquaintance + friend just seems indecisive.

I wonder if a better way to represent this, if we are discussing all possible future features, would be to declare each other enemies officially and then use the family tree widget?
Copper_Dragon Topic Starter

I had no idea the Family Tree idea was even still being considered, but I do agree that would make considerably more sense in this instance! <g> Are you still seeking responses to the Research thread of that development log?
Kim Site Admin

Yes please!

It wasn't for some time there. I think it was one of those things that was just too fancy at the start of things. There were too many other features that we *needed*, and it was quite challenging from a programming and interface perspective. But now, four years later, I am much more skilled in both and the site is in a more stable state. There are obviously some high priority items that need to happen first, but it's not quite as never-ending. Groups. Connection interface revamp. Private chat. WHATEVER THE HECK WE WANT.

I threw in my two cents and IC family trees into the research topic. I'm happy to see there is a greater possibility of implementing it, even if it did have to wait for other features first!
Kim Site Admin

Thank you!! :D

You're welcome, Kim! <g>

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » More character connection shenanigans

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus