Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Why won't some adults play with people under 18?

Dhakir (played anonymously)

The way I see it, is simple. I do not go to high-schools, or places in which I know those between the ages of 15-21 hang around, and make friends. I don't have any interest in interacting with people almost 10 years my junior, we are at different stages in our lives, and nine times out of ten, it becomes blatantly obvious in OOC interactions.

Secondly, it's illegal, pure and simple. Parents can lay charges, and I do not want that on my record for my career. Which is what Cacophony was stating. One false charge and we are absolutely condemned for life.
Yo mods, change this topic from "... Why?" to "But-but-but-but-but"
Maybe we should just follow the bro code?

x ≥ y/2 + 7
(X = Your age | Y = Fellow RP-er's minimum age)

Props to anyone who gets this reference.
Hi y'all. Working from my phone, so I'll be brief and to the point:

For us, the Roleplay Repository, anyone below the age of 18 rping sexual situations is illegal and runs the risk of getting us shut down!

Even if you think you are mature enough, your legal guardians and the law tend to disagree heavily. So when people decline due to your age, they are looking out for themselves and us, as they rightly should do. And when we catch you doing this, we defend the site like a mama bear. :/

So if this frustrates, sorry, but we like it when the site isn't potentially put at risk.
Ha! Seriously though, if I'm backseat moderating it'd be to ask you to lock the thread.

The reason the "...Why?" hasn't been answered in spite of all this discussion isn't because the OP doesn't get it, but because she chooses not to get it, it is deliberate. The subtle topic shift that shows they know exactly what's up is in the first paragraph of the first post, read it again:
lyingsmile15 wrote:
I seriously want to know why people do this whole "I only RP with people who are 18+" thing. It makes absolutely no sense to me. As someone who is not yet 18, but has been doing adult content RP for at least 2 years now...
Everything else is justification: "But I've been doing it for years, but it's legal where I am..." They're not here to have "Why?" answered, they're here to take "But, but, but" as far as they need to. We aren't going anywhere because that was never the idea.

I guess it's easy to think anything goes when you don't have to bear the consequences. I feel bad for the kids that the law of the land has their hands tied, but there's a reason a lot of adults choose better-safe-than-sorry, and it's because a lot of kids choose to act exactly like what we're seeing in this thread. :/
Sanne Moderator

I've been reading up on this and in many places in the US, if someone over the age of 18 has sex with a 16 year old, even if the age of consent is 16, it is still illegal and a criminal offense - some places overrule the age of consent with additional laws applying to adults engaging in sexual acts witha minor,apparently. In other places no more than 3 years difference may exist between the minor and their partner. And so forth...

It's pretty complex but it makes sense that RPR disregards age of consent and sticks to a universal ruling of "only legal adults can have adult roleplay on the site". The laws are so bizarre and diverse!
I just happened to see this topic and saw a video from tumblr on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtMBuJkgiNw

I also remember reading on a post somewhere but if a website operates from within the United States, the age of consent is 18+ overall. It doesn't matter if your state OR COUNTRY'S age is 16, YOU AND THE PERSON YOU ARE RPING WITH CAN STILL GET IN TROUBLE If the site operates within the United States.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I would have to say that doing any kind of sexual content with someone under 18 is a thing to be avoided overall.
Sanne Moderator

Prince wrote:
I just happened to see this topic and saw a video from tumblr on this topic:(..)

That video is excellent! (Although it contains an f-bomb so you might want to tag a warning onto that + part of your post got eaten by BBCode brackets)

I do wonder about one thing though. It happens that people sign up on websites with a false birthday, making them appear 18 on the site OR the person confirms in writing they're 18 or older when they're not.

In what way am I liable if I ask someone "Are you 18?" and they say "Yes", but they're not? Or when they sign up on the site with a fake birthday and list their age publicly, giving me reason to believe they're 18 based on the information they provided? Where is the line drawn when I'm physically unable to check for a legit ID?

It happens that I engage in roleplays with anonymous characters where the topics can be adult in nature (not always explicit sex roleplay, but suggestions or overall mature themes not suitable for anyone under 18). I have asked people before "Are you 18?" and got confirmations, but there is no possible way for me to verify beyond the information provided. I'd like to think that the sign-up information on the website holds more power than saying they're 18 though, but I've had a lot of trouble finding information on this.
Sanne wrote:
I do wonder about one thing though. It happens that people sign up on websites with a false birthday, making them appear 18 on the site OR the person confirms in writing they're 18 or older when they're not.

In what way am I liable if I ask someone "Are you 18?" and they say "Yes", but they're not? Or when they sign up on the site with a fake birthday and list their age publicly, giving me reason to believe they're 18 based on the information they provided? Where is the line drawn when I'm physically unable to check for a legit ID?

I have a sort of answer for you: DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. If you end up in a situation where you ask and someone says "I am over 18" you should keep track of that, also keep track of any ensuing conversation where upon, if you find something to be uncomfortable or you find out they are under 18, send them a message detailing why you are cutting off contact. Don't delete the PMs/messages. If anything were to happen, you have it there saying that "I ask, this person lied and once I found out the truth, I cut off contact/stopped activities with them." For this reason it's wonderful that PM's cannot be edited!

Another course of action, would be to also have a third party document a cut off of these types of actions. Preferably someone who lives in your country, but a witness can be anyone.

Now, of course I don't have any legal training, this is all from what I remember from instances of physical violence/drug related charges on someone close to me, but it's reasonable that this still stands. If you're really worried, don't be afraid to make contact with a lawyer (if you can't afford one, you might be able to find someone online who will give you better, more sound advice).
Sanne Moderator

Cacophony wrote:
I have a sort of answer for you: DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. If you end up in a situation where you ask and someone says "I am over 18" you should keep track of that, also keep track of any ensuing conversation where upon, if you find something to be uncomfortable or you find out they are under 18, send them a message detailing why you are cutting off contact. Don't delete the PMs/messages. If anything were to happen, you have it there saying that "I ask, this person lied and once I found out the truth, I cut off contact/stopped activities with them." For this reason it's wonderful that PM's cannot be edited!

Another course of action, would be to also have a third party document a cut off of these types of actions. Preferably someone who lives in your country, but a witness can be anyone.

Now, of course I don't have any legal training, this is all from what I remember from instances of physical violence/drug related charges on someone close to me, but it's reasonable that this still stands. If you're really worried, don't be afraid to make contact with a lawyer (if you can't afford one, you might be able to find someone online who will give you better, more sound advice).

This seems like sound advice for now! Would Kim as the site admin count if she is able to withdraw the records from the database directly? I would notify her instantly if someone lied to me about their age to do any sort of mature themed RP with me so she could deal with them as the admin too for breaking the rules. I gather that would make her a third party documenting the case.

Documentation is always a good thing no matter what.
Sanne wrote:
Cacophony wrote:

This seems like sound advice for now! Would Kim as the site admin count if she is able to withdraw the records from the database directly? I would notify her instantly if someone lied to me about their age to do any sort of mature themed RP with me so she could deal with them as the admin too for breaking the rules. I gather that would make her a third party documenting the case.

Documentation is always a good thing no matter what.

She might actually be better than someone even from your own country, since she has ALL the records and would likely be called into the investigation anyhow.
Sanne Moderator

Cacophony wrote:
She might actually be better than someone even from your own country, since she has ALL the records and would likely be called into the investigation anyhow.

I'm aiming to never need her to be called into any investigation. <.<
Kim Site Admin

I'm sorry I'm late to this party -- I've been laying down with a fever the last few days and not super on top of things.

Copper_Dragon has already very clearly laid out the site's stance on this -- Regardless of whether or not the laws make sense, regardless of whether they are fair, 18 as the age of consent is still the law for sites in the US. Even if your locale allows for a younger age of consent, that might not be true in your RP partner's locale, and they will still be on the hook.

Kudos to anyone who is sticking to the letter of the law, because doing otherwise endangers yourself, your RP partners, and the site itself. A LOT.

I think the OP might want to consider that being under 18 was just a convenient excuse to stop playing rather than the real reason, if there truly was no sexual content at all in the RP.

At this point I'm locking this thread, because the question has been answered quite thoroughly.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Why won't some adults play with people under 18?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus