Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » 2011 for You

Darth_Angelus Moderator

On this, the final day of 2011 I find myself thinking back over the last 12 months at things that have happened. We have a post about the major events of RPR but what about the people that make up this great community?

I'll start with something I'm very proud of accomplishing and many of you have seen it already: the Commander Shepard costume, which was featured in one of the RPR videos.

It was something I knew I wanted to create at the very beginning of the year and set out to do just that. ended up wearing it to four conventions, making two videos and getting photographed more times than I can remember. Very pleased with the way it turned out! :D

ShepardTardis.jpg

So what are the things you set out to achieve? Did you do them? What other surprises came along that you feel like sharing :)
I can't really remember what I set out to achieve last year. I... think it was... lose some weight? Maybe? I actually achieved that - lost about 40lbs - but I've gained a bit of it back (only 10 or so). I know there was something else, but I've completely forgotten what it was.

The big highlights of the year so far for me are moving back home where all my friends are, getting out of a bad marriage (this is a good thing), and getting back on rpr. Oh, and I am close to achieving not so much a resolution of mine, but more of a weird goal: own all of my favorite cars - in a nutshell, I'm a car nut, and I'll leave it at that ;D.

Edit: Darth, I demand a new years vidya. Do it, and I'll put a Darth Vader helmet on my cat, photo-ize it with a timestamp in the picture, and post it on the forums. Just for you, and your tie fighter socks.
Darth_Angelus Topic Starter Moderator

Bonebag wrote:
Darth, I demand a new years vidya. Do it, and I'll put a Darth Vader helmet on my cat, photo-ize it with a timestamp in the picture, and post it on the forums. Just for you, and your tie fighter socks.

I will see what I can do :)
Hmmmm. I had to think on that one.
  • I went to my first real expo/convention (meeting a whole ton of people I never thought I'd meet.)
  • I went back to school in a discipline I'm actually interested in! (Going for a BTech degree.)
Outside of those two things, 2011 was one of the more incredibly boring and unexciting years I've had!

The first convention is always the most exciting, especially when you get to meet people you like watching on TV. Wasn't it The Guild cast you met?
darth_angelus wrote:
The first convention is always the most exciting, especially when you get to meet people you like watching on TV. Wasn't it The Guild cast you met?
Yup! And Michael Hogan and Kate Vernon from Battlestar Galactica. Katee Sackhoff was suppose to be there but was unable to show up. D: And I also met Matt Frewer.
William Shatner and Jonathan Frakes were there, but the line up for autographs and photo-ops were craaaazzzy. I did watch their Questions and Answer period, which were pretty awesome.
..oh and Ryan North for those that read Dinosaur Comics.

Nice! Michael Hogan is such great fun to meet. You can tell he loved playing Tigh :)
I didn't set out to do anything last year, actually. But I can tell you what I've accomplished!

I got a paperback copy of a novel that I wrote :)
I finished another year of NaNoWriMo
I started my own dream in Furcadia!
I got accepted into the two colleges I applied to
I saw a Within Temptation concert in person
I wrote a short story on DeviantART that got over 2000 views
and I developed a great relationship with my neighbors :)

I also found this amazing website and made lots of new friends and great characters and RPs :D
I didn't really have any hope of achieving anything this year, but I got over the panic disorder that kept me constantly stressed and cooped up in my house for two years. I've returned to university again in October and I've picked up my old internship without problem. It's been a huge relief. :)

Celestina, you have been busy! :)

Ethelle, that is pretty big thing to have achieved. Very nice going :)
Ethelle wrote:
I didn't really have any hope of achieving anything this year, but I got over the panic disorder that kept me constantly stressed and cooped up in my house for two years. I've returned to university again in October and I've picked up my old internship without problem. It's been a huge relief. :)
Hahah, do work, girl. I mean [radio edit], nice going! Keep it up.
Did I accomplish anything big? ... Nah, I don't really think so.

But I did make some new, good friends-- say hi to GloriousCookie, SeraphicStar, reeno-alchemist, and Claine (plus Geezer, but he's not on the RPR) when you see them on the street.

My family & I adopted an orange tabby kitten found at my mom's workplace; he ended up being abandoned by his mother because us humans had to rescue him out of a crude oil vat. Humans are offensive to feral animals! :( He's our not-so-lil' Tabasco now, however. <3

I got back the rest of my spine and stood up for myself a couple of times when former friends were being jerks.

I reconnected with an couple of old RP communities I used to hang out in and got to join a newer one.
darth_angelus wrote:
Ethelle, that is pretty big thing to have achieved. Very nice going :)
Bonebag wrote:
Hahah, do work, girl. I mean [radio edit], nice going! Keep it up.

Thank you! :D
Hm...well...I finally made it to D*Con, which is something I've been wanting to do for years. I also made A's in all the classes I took this year! :) 2011 wasn't too bad!

Also Darth, those pictures are epic win :D

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » 2011 for You

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus