Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » More on the SOPA

Claine Moderator

darth_angelus wrote:
Reddit has announced they are going ahead with a blackout on the 18th.

Link

I really hope others will do the same.

Isn't Reddit blacking out kind of like preaching to the choir? The point of a black out is to raise awareness to those who don't already know about SOPA. Reddit users already vehemently oppose SOPA, so this blackout, while noble, doesn't do a whole lot of good?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

It's probably not about raising awareness, just proving that a blackout can be done in the hopes of encouraging someone like Google or Facebook to do the same.
darth_angelus wrote:
It's probably not about raising awareness, just proving that a blackout can be done in the hopes of encouraging someone like Google or Facebook to do the same.

This.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Bonebag wrote:
darth_angelus wrote:

This.

Totally!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

This seems pretty informative, I'm spreading the word :)
Pineapple Topic Starter

darth_angelus wrote:

This seems pretty informative, I'm spreading the word :)

no kidding
Darth_Angelus Moderator

SOPA has been shelved after the White House announced that it oppossed the bill. It's not gone away entirely, as I'm sure it's supporters will be thinking how they can go about changing it but it's a start.

However, the Protect IP Act is still on the agenda for the 24th.

Link
Kim Site Admin

darth_angelus wrote:

I don't think an organization whose constituents aren't already against SOPA could safely do a blackout without too much damage to their business for most commercial entities to consider. However, something like this can gain media attention, which will spread the message well beyond Reddit. There's been almost no main stream coverage of SOPA whatsoever.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim wrote:
I don't think an organization whose constituents aren't already against SOPA could safely do a blackout without too much damage to their business for most commercial entities to consider. However, something like this can gain media attention, which will spread the message well beyond Reddit. There's been almost no main stream coverage of SOPA whatsoever.

I think you're right, these companies will be too worried about the damage they'd suffer if they blackout entirely. I do think they should post something on the front page of their respective sites on the day however.

It won't have quite the same impact but it will get noticed.

Even though SOPA seems to be off the table for now, blackout protests are still expected on wednesday regarding PIPA. I was just reading that Wikipedia has announced they will be taking part with a 24 hour blackout.

Link
darth_angelus wrote:
I was just reading that Wikipedia has announced they will be taking part with a 24 hour blackout.

Link

THIS. I am amazed at this and think this will rock. If anything will get noticed, it's Wikipedia.
If my simple mind coprehends all this SOPA stuff correctly, it would basically force any site who has copyrighted stuff (Pics from anime, character references and so forth) to shut down. Do I got the basic idea correct here?
Kim Site Admin

Lance2011 wrote:
If my simple mind coprehends all this SOPA stuff correctly, it would basically force any site who has copyrighted stuff (Pics from anime, character references and so forth) to shut down. Do I got the basic idea correct here?

It is slightly more complex than that, but basically, yes.
Ah ha. Hmm...
Darth_Angelus Moderator

It has begun. Google also joined in, although the site still functions.

It's also getting some media attention at last. Now if only some US news services will pick up on it.
Harmony

If you want to raise awareness about SOPA, Kim, consider linking to this on the front page. I believe quite a few other blackout pages are linking to it, it sums the situation up well enough.

http://vimeo.com/31100268
Wikipedia just blacked out today. :D
Noticing the blackouts, totally forgot this was happening today. For all you pony lovers, Equestria Daily has it's own form of blackout XD
Lolcats was down for 12 hours.
Here's a video they posted on their info page as well
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2012/01/18/funny-pictures-videos-the-day-the-lolcats-died-pipa-sopa/
Kim Site Admin

Both those sites had awesome updates!
SeraphicStar

One of my favorite sites/communities in the internets, TGWTG.com, has also been blacked out. Its contributors have been really involved in this, meeting with senators and whatnot, so it was only to be expected.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » More on the SOPA

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus