Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Movie Thread

I had a look see before starting this and I didn't see anything, so I decided it was okay to do it. If there's already one of these close/lock it :D

So there's so many awesome movies out there, some are big box office hits and some are not. Some are awesomesauce and cool beans rolled all into one, and others are well things that belong in the garbage :D I figured it would be cool for us to share some of the epic movies we seen or even some of our personal faves. sure I realize that lots of us have seen the same movies, but I'm sure there's a few out odd ones that differ.

One of my favorite movies of all time(no clue why) would be Who framed Roger Rabbit, I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. Well really I'd say it's a tie between that and Labyrinth Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way here to the castle beyond goblin city

Some other awesome movies would be. Fire Walk With me (based off the tv series Twin Peaks), Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Queen of the Damned (as a movie it's great, but if you compare it to the book it's not so great), Rocky Horror Picture Show (<3), Stand by Me.. Lol really I could go on but the idea is for everyone to share ;) and they can't do that if I steal the awesome movies.
I can't even remember what most of mine are it's been so long since I've watched any of the ones that I REALLY like, but Disney's Fantasia, the Lion King, Aladdin, and the Rocky Horror Picture Show are jumping out at me right away. I like most movies I watch - if I didn't think I'd like 'em, I wouldn't pick 'em to watch. One of my very good friends has a massive movie collection, I think he's up to around... 450 to 600 DVD's and movies now. HUGE movie nut, huge.
I like The Patriot and Braveheart. After those would be Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs. Two being very funny.
Oh man, so many memories...

I am a huge classic Disney fan: The Lion King, 101 Dalmatians (102 was pretty good too), Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, The Fox and the Hound, An American Tale II (I never owned I), Cinderella, Aladdin, Fantasia (& 2000), Winnie the Pooh, The Little Mermaid...

Ah, those were the days.

But I enjoy others too, but that requires massive amounts of brainage, and my brain won't brain beyond Disney atm.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Heh, I was thinking about this thread for a bit before starting it, then when I went to start it I actually at to THINK about what my faves were. Now that I'm done that bit tons of movies are coming to me....examples The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Crow, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero......*facepalms* why couldn't they have done that earlier

And unfortunately I've seen some bad...well really terrible movies in my time, and I got them thinking hey this looks good, and well obviously was sorely disappointed. Like...hmmm....blood the last vampire, I thought it would be totally awesome being based off the anime, well I think i would have rather had kick in the pants.

and awesome friend with movie collections are great. The last place we lived in was a big 4 bedroom house, and we rented a room to my sons godfather/one of my bestfriends from highschool and he had like 450 vhs, annd about 300 dvds....it was so awesome.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

As far as favourites go, I'm not going to say Star Wars, those would be pretty obvious ;)

I grew up with Star Trek but because a complete collection of episodes was impossibly expensive back then, but I was lucky enough to have the first six movies on VHS. I watched them a lot, Kirk, Spock and McCoy's adventures will always have a special place for me.

There are a few other directors that I admire and look to their work to improve my own. James Cameron's earlier work (Terminator 1-2, Aliens, True Lies) are all well crafted movies. He has an extreme eye for detail, building up the world around the characters. To me it makes them more than just regular action movies.

Most recently, Christopher Nolan's Batman films and Inception. I've only seen The Prestige once and I wasn't too well at the time, so I should rewatch that again. Again, the amount of work he puts into his movies is just amazing. I also like that he prefers to use as little CGI as possible. A rare thing these days.

Other movies I enjoy: Serenity, Hot Fuzz, Paul, Spaceballs, The Crow (glad to find another fan, Nikina!), The Bourne Trilogy, the first three Alien movies...hmm what else...Oh! Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy was one of my favourite movies of 2011. If you like spy stories, this is worth watching.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I'm very bad at enjoying movies. I'm rarely in a good mood for them. I hate anime, but somehow I adore Miyazaki's movies, especially Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. Howl's Moving Castle as also really charming. I like the Rankins + Bass version of the Hobbit, too. Way too much. Way too much. Golden Age Disney is great, but so are Don Bluth movies like Secret of NIMH.
Heimdall wrote:
I'm very bad at enjoying movies. I'm rarely in a good mood for them. I hate anime, but somehow I adore Miyazaki's movies, especially Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. Howl's Moving Castle as also really charming. I like the Rankins + Bass version of the Hobbit, too. Way too much. Way too much. Golden Age Disney is great, but so are Don Bluth movies like Secret of NIMH.

YES, YES, ANOTHER MIYAZAKI FAN! I LOVE YOU MORE, HEIM, WHICH WAS ALREADY GOING BEYOND THE BOUNDS OF LOVE. Y'know, a harmless platonicbrotastic sort.
I'm suprised nobody's quite said this yet.
Lord Of The Rings trilogy and The Pirates Of The Carribbean series. I love them. I do. Very much.

I'm also a sucker for old Disney movies like Aladdin and Beauty And The Beast and those such ones, but it all depends in what mood I'm in.

As for animes, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was the first anime movie I ever saw. It's special to me <3 I love a whole bunch of other Miyazaki movies, too many to list. So I'll just give another anime series that is apparently not-well-heard-of but REALLY good; Witch Hunter Robin. My brother got me the box set of the first (and only) season for Christmas one year because I saw two or three episodes with my older sister's roommate once. It is such an amazing series. I wish they made it longer.

Also, the three movies that you have to grow up on in my family: The Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Star Wars.
Pineapple Topic Starter

I'm a HUGE miyazaki fan :D Howl's Moving Castle...I can't remember how this connects to him but Grave of the Fireflies was really really good too. when Ponyo came out I got it, and now my 2 year old is already and anime fan :D
Pineapple Topic Starter

darth_angelus wrote:
The Crow (glad to find another fan, Nikina!), The Bourne Trilogy, the first three Alien movies...hmm what else...Oh! Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy was one of my favourite movies of 2011. If you like spy stories, this is worth watching.

I lovelovelove that movie, and The Bourne Trilogy rocked partly because I'm a Mat Damon fan, but mostly because they kicked butt. Never heard of spy might have to check it out.

I did forget to mention The Talented Mr. Ripley, veryvery long but goood...
I'm surprised Labyrinth actually made this list, I ADORE that movie. You put up that quote nikina and I automatically started finishing it XD

There are some really awesome movies listed here, I'm a huge Miyazaki fan as well, and cannot wait to see his new movie this feburary. Actually a theater here is doing an early screening and I'm going to try and go ^_^ Also a big golden age disney fan, and naturally I love star wars, star trek, lord of the rings and the pirates series.

As for a movie that hasn't been listed, I grew up with The Last Unicorn. I love that movie to pieces and I could probably recite the whole thing from memory XD
Pineapple Topic Starter

Loki wrote:
I'm surprised Labyrinth actually made this list, I ADORE that movie. You put up that quote nikina and I automatically started finishing it XD

There are some really awesome movies listed here, I'm a huge Miyazaki fan as well, and cannot wait to see his new movie this feburary. Actually a theater here is doing an early screening and I'm going to try and go ^_^ Also a big golden age disney fan, and naturally I love star wars, star trek, lord of the rings and the pirates series.

As for a movie that hasn't been listed, I grew up with The Last Unicorn. I love that movie to pieces and I could probably recite the whole thing from memory XD

:D I love the last unicorn!!!!!

and roger gets no love :( roger_rabbit.gif
Since this is the movie thread: I have never seen Labyrinth. I know it involves David Bowie playing a character named Jasper/Jasper the Goblin King (I think?), but I don't know anything else about it. Can someone explain it to me?
Pineapple Topic Starter

Bonebag wrote:
Since this is the movie thread: I have never seen Labyrinth. I know it involves David Bowie playing a character named Jasper/Jasper the Goblin King (I think?), but I don't know anything else about it. Can someone explain it to me?

Jarred, I believe. But essentially.

Sarah has grown angry about the fact that she must watch over her little brother Toby, Sarah wishes the child to the goblins. They translate this careless statement into action: The Goblin-King Jareth announces that soon Toby will mutate into a goblin. There is only one hope: Sarah has to find the way to Jareth's castle - through a dangerous labyrinth, in which nothing is as it seems - where she will find strange creatures, and unlikely friends.

edit I suck at explaining things. The movie is much more epic that it sounds
Darth_Angelus Moderator

CelestinaGrey wrote:
I'm suprised nobody's quite said this yet.
Lord Of The Rings trilogy and The Pirates Of The Carribbean series. I love them. I do. Very much.

I almost did put down Lord of the Rings. Not sure why I didn't actually.
lol Bones I haven't seen it either, so you're not alone.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Lorvilran wrote:
lol Bones I haven't seen it either, so you're not alone.

Watch it, seriously. It's a great movie, the only down side being how tight david bowies pants are.... -_-'

I feel the need to also mention that this is a jim henson/lucas films production :D
Aww! Finally someone else who has seen The Last Unicorn! People usually look at me all strange when I mention it XD If you haven't read the book nikina you should, it's amazing. I've met Peter S. Beagle a couple times before and he's very nice :)

And for you guys that haven't seen Labyrinth, you should watch it! I think it's on netflix, but I'm not 100% sure. Just uh...watch out for those...tight pants XD they border on the ridiculous XDXD
nikina wrote:

:D I love the last unicorn!!!!!

and roger gets no love :( roger_rabbit.gif

Pssst Nikina, I LOVE Roger like the secret hidden fanboy I am. So you my dear are not alone in love for da rabbit.

As for me I'm a weirdo. I like the bulk of what people have already thrown up there, my all time favorite movie ever though is The Untouchables. I have no idea why but it just kind of happened. For the same odd reason I also freaking adore The Jetsons movie. It's like crack to me, watch it all the time and still laugh at every line. Starship Troopers for some reason is also a good film to me, dunno if anyone else shares those two but eh. I'm a weird fanboy.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Movie Thread

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus