Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New page management interface, round 2

Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Heimdall wrote:
Kim: To me, "drag the column itself" still sounds like I should be clicking on the header. Maybe I am just stubborn and silly!

Still thinking about this. I can see how it might sound that way. I'm trying to figure out how to add a handle without the handle itself becoming confusing, or a clearer method of phrasing.
disducibus wrote:
Totally excited for when this comes out XD What will be the maximum number of pages after it is implemented?

I'm gonna be a little secretive about that. I'm still testing stuff out. Realistically, there has to be some limit to prevent drop-down menus longer than the screen itself, but I need to figure out what is reasonable and the best way of communicating what the limits are and why they exist. This whole process has been deceptively complex. >.>

Sanne wrote:
When I move the entire columns, for some reason the background color of the column seems to randomly change as I drag it around o_O Then I release it and all the background colors snap back into the proper order.

I see a small amount of that. It's trying to figure out whether it's even or odd at any particular moment and getting confused. XD
Ilmarinen Moderator

My first thought was just a triangle in the corner, like this:

sxhtoo.png

Heimdall wrote:

sxhtoo.png

Great thought, and thanks so much for the demo. I'll go try that out right now.
Kim wrote:
Heimdall wrote:

sxhtoo.png

Great thought, and thanks so much for the demo. I'll go try that out right now.

yus! That is exactly what I had been getting at with the first one. Nice edit!

I added it to the next revision and it seems to work very well. I think at this point, despite a few oddities, I'm pretty happy with the way the UI works. I've now moved into testing how long a dropdown list is too long, and am trying to find intelligible ways to communicate those limits and what happens when you hit them through the UI. We're getting so close to this being ready to install! :D
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Very exciting to hear, can't wait to try this for real :)

Any chance I could get more IE users to test this out, especially people running IE9? If I don't get any reports of IE crashing soon, I'm going to go ahead and install this puppy.
Dragonfire Moderator

I gave it a swing in IE8, Kim! Unfortunately I don't have a computer with Windows 7 so IE9 was kind of out. No problems, though, aside from one weird instance where I was no longer able to 'pick up' a page to reorder it - IE seemed to bring up a small blue square icon next to it and wouldn't let me grab the name until I selected another pagename entirely. If I recall correctly, it was right after editing a page name, and I left a space after the name.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce it, so it may have just been some IE idiosyncracy at work.

Thanks so much, Dragonfire! :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » New page management interface, round 2

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus