Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » PIt Bulls and their bad wrap

I dunno what it`s like where everyone else lives...but where I`m at in Canada Pit bulls have a horrible reputation. To the point of any member of the breed has to be muzzled when not at home, and many are calling for the breed to be wiped out.

Personally I am a FIRM believer that its never the dog, it`s how the dog is raised and trained. Meaning THE OWNER. This article is awesome! One of the few times the media has put some good light on the breed.
Minerva

Pits are pretty universally seen as terrible, alongside rotts and dobermans. However i had a 1/4 pit mix, and his 1/2 pit father was derek's family's dog. sam could be terrifying if he thought you were invading his territory but was a great lover and charlie, our pup, was amazing. I have a hatred towards dogs because they tend to hate me but i nursed the pup through parvo myself. He was loving and playful. I cried when he broke his chain, ran into the highway and got flattened. Similarly, the neighbor has a beautiful pure pit named mumbo who is tame as a rabbit. It is mostly about the owner. I will say fear of dobermans is more rightful, but it is still human fault. Dober heads were bred so slim that it constrains the brain and can make them go nuts. Pits have no such fault as far as i know. They can be great dogs. The only fault with mine was he was too strong and energetic for his own good, breaking a thick chain and even a choker off we put on after he had broken former leashes. I don't like chokers, but-
Minerva

I did it to protect him, not to protect anyone else from him. sadly, it wasn't enough. Rest in peace, CHarlie. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to let our daughter name him after all dogs go to heaven.
Kim Site Admin

There've been a lot of studies showing that most people can't identify a pit bull at all. The reports of how much damage they do are so suspect to me, with most people identifying any dog with a large head or who scares them as a pit. I've seen people insist that a friendly and boisterous labrador was a dangerous pitbull. I've seen them insist this to the face of a breeder of labradors who ought to know!
Minerva

agreed. Charlie was about half lab, quarter pit quarter chow as far as we can tell. Both mom and dad had lab blood, but sam was mostly chow with some pit. Really he was a lab chow pit mix, and fancy the mother was lab with distant pit too, so my percentiles are rough. Still, charlie was one of the friendliest dogs you would ever see--ignoring the muddled pit, chow is considered mean too! His biggest fault was being so happy to see everyone he had a habit of managing to nail men in the nuts jumping to greet them lmao.
Pineapple Topic Starter

Kim you're really right there. My mum and I were out for a walk and a friend of mine was walking their Boxer and we stopped to talk to them, she was all antsy and nervous. When we finally got moving again I asked what the problem was she was like I don't like pit bulls. I was like mum...that's not a pit bull.
Minerva

I'm gonna see if I can poke Rubix in text to check this thread out. He handles dogs for a living. I know pits aren't his breed but am sure he has great insight in the affair.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Something I've noticed here (and it may happen in other places too), the reputation pit bulls have as being vicious means they can attract owners who want an aggressive dog and raise them as such. It's awful because it solidifies that reputation in peoples minds and often the dogs are mistreated to make them angry. :(
I'm gonna just nudge in here, some...

I know that the owner definitely plays a big role in shaping the pet, trust me. But I've seen a dog before (not a pit bull) that was a HORRIBLE dog, and the owners were nice and sweet as could be. Sometimes, I think you just get a bad dog.
My mom had a sweet pit, he had been a rescue dog and even though his previous owner had blinded one eye the worst he would do was grab your arm if you touched his head where you coulddn't see him, not rough but soft.
Pineapple Topic Starter

darth_angelus wrote:
Something I've noticed here (and it may happen in other places too), the reputation pit bulls have as being vicious means they can attract owners who want an aggressive dog and raise them as such. It's awful because it solidifies that reputation in peoples minds and often the dogs are mistreated to make them angry. :(

a very very valid point darth.
celestina_gray wrote:
I'm gonna just nudge in here, some...

I know that the owner definitely plays a big role in shaping the pet, trust me. But I've seen a dog before (not a pit bull) that was a HORRIBLE dog, and the owners were nice and sweet as could be. Sometimes, I think you just get a bad dog.

I did say that I was a believer that it's the owner and not the dog, sometimes that's wrong, and sometimes the dog is bad...
Oh what a hot topic...so many things to say but first I'll point everyone here. I'll admit I got it wrong, I couldn't look at those an instinctually pick out a Pit because the breed has transformed SO much.

Another great place is here. There was an article that surfaced a while ago that had fantastic historical evidence of the Pit Bull being America's dog. I'll see if I can dig it up because it's simply brilliant.

To be honest this is cyclic in nature. Every few years they pick a new breed to attack.

403865_2514718434382_1445824620_32006663_1694832424_n.jpg

As someone who both owns and breeds a breed that people think is "aggressive", "dangerous", and "should be killed" I face this struggle everyday. My breed is the Chinese Shar-Pei and like the Pit Bull we have been labeled as a Dangerous Breed. For one thing the data is extremely skewed. What the Dangerous Dog lists focus on is "damage done" not bite record. There are toy breeds (chihuhuas) and spaniels (cockers) that in the past have been the #1 Dog to Bite. But because they don't have the same PSI (pressure per square inch) they don't do nearly so much damage, which is why a police unit will never use one as their apprehension dogs.

Now here is the data that is sited but here is the one that isn't.

The truth is any dog can be dangerous. I'm a strong advocate that TRAINING is the most important tool, as is EDUCATION. If you train an animal to be a tool, then the animal will be exactly that. If you're educated and educate as you go along, you train your pet to be an animal that is healthy in society then that's what you get.

There are genetics at play however, you can get a dog like an Australian Shepherd I knew who had a pituitary tumor. For four years she was the sweetest dog in the world, then one day she attacked their son unprovoked. He was severally injured and they put the dog down. When they did the necropsy they found the tumor. It caused her aggression. So you do have those kinds of issues, and it does appear that if there is "aggression" in the line then you may have it in your pups as well. That's why it's so important to meet the sire and dam of a litter, you have to know what the parents were like to know what the get could be like.

I could go on and on and on. But I won't rant just yet. :)
darth_angelus wrote:

HUGE problem. We call them "status dogs" and you wouldn't believe how many people buy animals because of the prestige it gives them. Whether it makes them look "tough" or makes them look like they are "rich".
Pineapple Topic Starter

Rubix wrote:
The truth is any dog can be dangerous. I'm a strong advocate that TRAINING is the most important tool, as is EDUCATION. If you train an animal to be a tool, then the animal will be exactly that. If you're educated and educate as you go along, you train your pet to be an animal that is healthy in society then that's what you get.

There are genetics at play however, you can get a dog like an Australian Shepherd I knew who had a pituitary tumor. For four years she was the sweetest dog in the world, then one day she attacked their son unprovoked. He was severally injured and they put the dog down. When they did the necropsy they found the tumor. It caused her aggression. So you do have those kinds of issues, and it does appear that if there is "aggression" in the line then you may have it in your pups as well. That's why it's so important to meet the sire and dam of a litter, you have to know what the parents were like to know what the get could be like.

<3 this!
When I'm at home and able to do more I'll dig up that article and grab the PSI video that shows why the damage is looked at rather than true number of bites.
And Nikina glad I could make you <3!
Jello_Monsta

I have a pit bull, the only thing with the breed is, is that they're territorial. As is any other animal. I rescued her a few years back so I didn't get to raise her, but she is fine with the things I permit in the house. Now if the neighbors cat comes into the yard without permission that's a different story, she turns vicious and tries to kill that cat. She is fine with my 8 week old kitten that lives in the house, terrified of it, but has never snapped at it. (I grew up in Ohio where it was illegal to own a pit bull and they were all held at the pound, and grew up with that notion that pit bulls are bad).

Now I am a dog groomer in Las Vegas, and I see pit bulls on a daily basis. In fact I am currently nursing a bleeding (possibly broken) nose from a pit bull head butting me lol Most that I have come across are nice, or just scared and freaking out with their hyperactive spazz dog goggles on. The biggest threat a pit has is it's lock jaw, and pure muscle, because they are like the hulk hogans of dog breeds. Unfortunately pit bulls do have a bad rep because people using them to fight and making them aggressive. Any dog can be this way, and Celestina makes a valid point though, sometimes dogs are just mean, cranky and it's nothing the owner did.
The Captain and I have two dachshunds, which last I heard ranked a great deal higher than Pits.

However, I will say that pit bulls are horrible, obnoxious creatures, what with their gigantic heads, cute noses, and my inability to snuggle one.
Jello_Monsta

Dachshunds are evil! lmfao Every one of them I have encountered has tried to bite me, but I am also trying to clip their nails, or I take away a pig ear and get my ankles snapped at as I run. My grandpa had a dachshund, she went psychotic over pig ears.
Jello_Monsta

The number one biter in my book, after grooming for like 10 years is the Australian Cattle dog. Mostly because people don't understand the breed, they need instruction and thrive on working and doing things. They are herders, and super smart and want to be told what to do, but then people don't educate themselves on the dog breed and just go "Oh how cute, let's get it." I have been bit 40 times by this breed alone, haha, and mostly it's because they are timid, or shy, or freaked out. Which is another thing to bring up, that most dogs that growl, or snap are just scared to death, not aggressive. The second biter in my book is the Chihuahua, I have NEVER met such a temperamental breed of dog like them. One minute they could be nice, then next thing you know they have a hold of your arm. I'm more scared of Chihuahua's then I am of Pit Bulls honestly lmfao.

When I walk my pit bull, which is rare sadly, I get a lot of nasty looks and comments. She barks and pulls and gets up on her hind legs whenever she see's another dog, or a person. Some people take her behavior as aggressive, but she is just excited and wants to play. Sure her bark is scary, hell makes me jump sometimes, but her whole bottom half of her body is wiggling and her tail is wagging. Now if you come straight up to me without introducing yourself to her she gets protective, which in Las Vegas I find that useful because I have got jumped and robbed out here just walking down the sidewalk, and if someone attempts to do that, I want my dog to scare them away not greet them with kisses. lol

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » PIt Bulls and their bad wrap

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus