Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Outpost Halle (Open)

She laughed lightly with him, imagining him lugging around swords and things, while trying not to blush at his sweet comments, 'Definitely a charmer, this one.'She thought lightly with a smile. "My apologies, I should not over stay and affect your rest. You just got bandaged up and everything after all, I am sorry." She stood, shifting the stool back to its original spot before lightly bowing to the knight, "Please rest well, and have a good night." She gave a soft smile and turned to leave, needing to get her dinner and retire for the evening shortly, having to get up bright and early with the sun to pick the fields.
Jerard the Steadfast (played by Fanggreywolf)

Jerard merely smiled again, shaking his head from side to side. 'This one is a real sweetheart. I'm lucky she's the one that first saw me.' he though with a little chuckle. "Oh don't apologize! It was very nice talking to you and learning a little bit about you Lilly. I shall see you Tommorow then I do hope, and have a good nights rest!" He cal;ed the last bit out as she turned to leave, then simple closed his eyes, his arms laying at his side, letting himself slowly drift off to sleep.
Aearion (played by Pirate)

Aearion chuckled a little before finishing the last remaining bit of his ale."Forgive me, Obel. I'm normally not such a nihilist. The sea just brings back... painful memories. Perhaps that is why I can't see the beauty of the ocean anymore while you still can. Forgive me." The Merman said solemnly. He'd quickly sound more uplifting, however.

"You might like it. But if I were you, I'd bring some insurance. Save up for some potions of water breathing. They might just save your life if the worst should come to happen. But enough about that, I'm sure you have more interesting questions."

At that question, Aearion started laughing."Oh, I'll be needing another drink for that one, friend." He said as he raised his hand in order to get another pair of ales. Once him and Obel were refilled, he'd start explaining.

"Why are Goblins seen as malicious tribals by most of society?" He asked with a sly grin."Because people have their prejudices. Us Merfolk are generally unknown to the world, but Sirens, by Melora, Sirens meddle in Dry Land affairs constantly. Mainly with sailors, as they're easy pickings. Siren eat human flesh, you see. Once they roamed the lands and rivers, but as soon as folk learned how to sail the seas, they could stick to their natural habitat. They're known as tricksters because they use their voices to lure unwilling sailors to their demise. I'm sure you've heard the stories."

"Here's a fun fact for you. Sirens and Merfolk get along rather well. In fact, I learned how to sing thanks to a Siren." He said with a grin."The only difference is that I can't hypnotise folk with my voice. Not that I need to, I don't eat human flesh, but I'm sure that if I were to put up my voice, I'd make all the sailors in this tavern soil themselves."
Obel (played by Pantrane) Topic Starter

The stout goblin had been thinking of ordering some food. But the thought of a creature actively seeking out human flesh was revolting. Obel figured the sirens were just trying to take the human's coin or ship or something like that.

It was going to be a little bit of a wait for the drinks as the barmaid literally and figuratively had her hands full with quite a few orders. Now two men stepped up, probably from upstairs, to fill in as barkeeps. There were help wanted signs up on the wall and in the window. The establishment had plenty of staff, but scheduling was an issue as the bar never closed.

Obel made a mental note to search for some water breathing potions. There might be someone at the market who could help him. If she wasn't still soured at Obel over the last negotiation, that is. He also wondered exactly what the merman meant about his voice. He sang well, maybe he had a powerful voice. One would imagine it would be needed in the depths of the sea.

The conversation had brought up the topic of tribal goblins.

"I come from a tribe", Obel said proudly. "Two of my brothers are here. Two are fighting far away." Of course they weren't related, but they saw each other as brothers. They had been through a lot together, on and off the battlefield. "We travel... Nomads. We've been around the humans and elves so long now. There's not much to see on the mountain. Probably like your ocean. We fight for pay and send the coin back home."

The party of rogues and fighters had been doing this for years now, as did many of the males in their village. So far, Halle had been great to them. There hadn't been any fighting and the pay was steady.

Finally the original barmaid came over with two fresh mugs. "Sorry for the wait!" Her tone was almost pleading.
With a soft smile she spoke, "You shall, so sleep well." Faster than she would have liked, the young woman was rushed out of the aid station, being pushed and shoved about by the many rushing people inside. Once outside the crowded street felt spacious compared to inside, and making her way back to the bar was not a problem, figuring now was a better time than any to relax with a drink, a chat with the barmaid who had been so kind and friendly in the past, then retire for the night, as another morning of hard work would soon be upon her.

The bard was louder and more crowded than when she had left earlier, not surprising since most folk were getting off work and coming in for a drink or several as per the usual. Scanning the room, seeing a full bar and no empty tables, Lilly was close to giving up and going to her room instead when a large burly man bumped into her back, sending her stumbling forward and managing to catch herself on a table, at which sat the goblin and bard from earlier. "My apologies, sirs." She said with a slight bow, turning her head to glare at the man who pushed her, now walking away as drunken as ever.

Obel was just under five feet tall.

"You!" The goblin shouted in a voice that could only be described as bitter and screechy. The next sound was of him slamming his mug down on the bar. He stepped away from the counter and walked past the lady, towards the brute.

"Come here."

The man acted as if he didn't notice, though he did flinch slightly when Obel first called out to him.

"That's right, keep walking. You're lucky you're not worth it."

Although a good deal of people noticed, a lot of business carried on as usual. Disagreements and fights were common. More than a few people had already started to crowd around, looking for some entertainment perhaps.

Obel stood with his fists clenched, waiting to see if the large man would react or keep going about his business. Obel's muscles were tense, especially his neck. One could see that his breathing rate had sped up. His eyes were wide open.

As a Korporal, Obel was a keeper of the standards. And that included chivalry and honor. He was supposed to defend the militia's ideals at all times. Having junior leaders on such a watch was a way to try to build the Hallean Militia into something more than a rag tag bunch of mercenaries. Although the militia was still a little rough around the edges.

After Lilly had left Jerard just relaxed on his table, not really having much to do now that she had left. The bleeding in his stomach had luckily stopped, although he may need to get stitches unless he was rather lucky and the wound healed cleanly, which was not likely due to the nature of the wound itself. Axe-blows from disgusting minotaur rarely healed cleanly, if only for the beasts poor treatment of the weapons.

He wondered if there were other beasts in this area that could pose a threat to the people of this town. If so he would need help to remove them, he would certainly not attempt at taking on such monsters on his own again.

Otherwise there was little that Jerard could do other than just sit here, have his bandages changed, eat the food that was given to him by the aid stations staff, and sleep.

"Tribes have always fascinated me. To be happy with a primal life is something to commended, I find. I don't think I could do it. I'm like a spoiled kitten." The Merman said with a chuckle as he accepted the mug and drank from it, until he got spooked by a sudden red-headed lady bumping into their table, causing him to spill a bit of the drink as his eyes widened.

"Tis no trouble, my lady. Are you alright?" The Merman asked her while Obel was valiantly defending her slightly harmed honour from a drunk lout.

"Come back, friend! Don't let a common drunk ruin our evening. A bar fight has its place, sure. But not when it's this crowded. These people are my bread and butter. If you start chasing them off, you're going to have to owe me a lot of drinks!" He said in a musing tone, though truth be told, he was serious.

Luckily, the man kept walking. Obel watched the man's silhouette step out the doorway. The goblin turned and walked back to his seat with his fists still clenched. "These people wouldn't leave the bar because of a fight. They're bored... There's not much to do here, besides train and shop."

He took another sip from his ale. It probably had something to do with his aggressive outburst. Was it really just a chivalrous response? It seemed to effect him on a personal level. Even now, he shook slightly with his eyes still furrowed. The nerve of some people!

The ale seemed to soothe his anger, to melt it away. Aearion had started a conversation with the woman. "Yes please, sit with us!" He motioned towards one of the tall chairs. Obel took a second look when he saw her. There was something in her eye and in her voice. Maybe it was worry.

"Tell us... What do you do around here?"
The goblins chivalrous outburst surprised her, but judging by his armor he was a soldier and it was his duty..? Lilly nodded to them both, "I am alright, thank you sirs. I can't stay long but maybe for a bit." She took a seat at their table, the tall chairs a nice place to sit, giving a nice slight possible view above the crowd.

At the mans question she paused for a moment, her thoughts still back in the aid station with Jerard. She blinked a few times, finally understanding what his question had been and she replied with a soft smile, "I'm a flower picker and I also deliver fresh flowers to the market stand every day. T'is not all that exciting but there are very nice field workers to talk to." A brief thought came over her, wondering if she looked like a ditsy woman the way she spoke and acted right now, doing her best to perk up and smile. "Your uniform shows you are a soldier, yes? And I recall your songs the other night, you must be a very skilled bard," She said to Obel and Aearion respectively.
Costanza M Gael (played by Miss)

In time, the toll-guard passed the gates, offering nods towards the guards manning the gate’s wheel. Dabbing at her forehead, she nears her post; a small cottage built upon the side of the road that hosted an iron fence and gate, barred windows, and an alcove where the toll-board rested. The board’s writings were neatly carved; the board itself level with the alcove and secured with large nails. Moving to stand under the much smaller, one-person booth, she sits one the stool and waits.

Toll Gate

After a while, a caravan approaches, and she moves to stand and adjust her uniform over her rotund stomach. Fastening her belt, she collects the trident in her hand and steps out of the booth.

The little goblin's head rose proudly. "Yes I am. Korporal Obel's my name." He still held his mug, still plenty full... Pacing himself, at least a little. He was small, but goblins had a relative strong tolerance to alcohol.. Probably a result of a high blood temperature, similar to dwarves.

"Ah you deliver from the fields. I like the wild fruit orchards. Lot's of good stuff."

A few dozen miles to the east was an abandoned plantation. The fields had gone fallow, but the orchards still produced fruit. Many travelers came here for a taste of nature's bounty. Obel couldn't make it out there often, however.

"What sort of drink do you like?" The tavern had a wide selection of drinks, with everything from wine to juices.

"You'd be surprised as to how many people might actually leave the scene if a fight goes on, in my experience. But who knows, this bar might be different." The bard shrugged before drinking some more of his ale and listening to the woman speak.

"Why thank you, my lady." He said with a cheeky grin."I suppose there's always a bigger fish in this sea that is the world, but I appreciate you like my craft specifically." As he took one more sip of his drink he looked around the tavern. It was jam packed. Now was the time for Aearion to do his work."Forgive me, friends. But it's about time for me to go work. Enjoy your evening. If you have any requests, I'll gladly play them." He said with a half bow before squirming his way through the populace towards the hearth.

He attracted attention by playing some loud strums on his lute. As soon as he saw some heads turn, he brightened up and spoke."Ladies and gentlemen, lend me your ears as I play for you, the Blue Bard's song; Winter's Souls." Then he began to sing as he played a hallowing, hollow tune on his lute.

"Facing the storm,
And there's no one by my side.
The curse will take its toll.
Is it justice or a foolish pride?

As the wind is blowing cold,
And the winter takes control,
How can I survive?

In higher lights we seem to drown,
We hold the key but not the crown!
In higher lights we seem to drown,
We hold the key but not the crown!
Look into my eyes and see,
For all the wisdom I still bleed.
And only willow trees will bring;
Oblivion!"

In between the paladin's sleep, brief conversations were had:

"The shipment is nearly here. We needn't wait long" said one barber-surgeon to his apprentice as they both ground herbs in their mortars. The assistant looked up, his nose having the hairiest of moles, "I hear his prices are expensive." The surgeon's thick, squared eyebrows furrow deeply, "Prices don't concern me. We have lives to save!" They continued to work, as a very muscular woman fixes the paladin's sheets, replacing them with fresh linen.

Meanwhile, at the toll gate, a single covered caravan approaches the toll guard. Constanza held a hand over her brow to shield her eyes from the setting sun. She glanced over the well-bred horses and the well dressed feline-like individuals that drove it. One was male and his clothing was fairly simple, a tricorn hat upon his head. The other had a red cloth wove around her midsection dressed in high boots and well-fitting clothes. Constanza held her hand upwards, signalling for the caravan to stop. Jo' Hiro's hands pull upon the reigns, his voice heavy with the classic accent of feline others, "Woah there."

The caravan slows, Constanza's head offering a nod towards the two. Her voice was clear, "The toll to Outpost Halle is 2 silver and 3 pence." Jo' Hiro's eyes lingered upon the toll guard, only a few inches taller than her but high upon the caravan's seat, and his head shifts to his side towards Fa' Urabi, "Pay her." Being the closest to the toll keeper, Fa' Urabi produced a coin pouch and picked the coins out of it. Constanza held her hand upward, collecting the coins and placing them in a pouch around her waist. Dipping her head politely, "Thank you. You may pass." The felines gave their own nods and snapped the reigns, the caravan moving on.

Jo' Hiro
Fa' Urabi

Jerard had overheard the little conversation, and grew thoughtful. It was good of these doctors to be procuring expensive items to heal the sick and dying, however he was curious as to where they obtained these items. When the large, muscular woman changed his sheets the Paladin mumbled out a thank you, then drifted off back to sleep. Wondering how long it could possibly take for his wound to fully heal, but it was of little consequence. The only thing he could do now was wait.
The young woman nodded her head, watching the bard slip away to begin playing his wonderful tunes. Her gaze returned to the goblin, "Thank you Korporal Obel, but I'm afraid I can't stay for a drink, bright and early, and if I am to make it through the day I need to rest. Thank you again for standing up for me but I'm going to retire. I hope to see you around, goodnight." She bowed lightly and slowly made her way to the stairs, glad to get out of the crowd as her arms could once more move normally as she walked.

Her room was nothing fancy, a standard room at the inn, a bed with a wardrobe, chest and small table with one chair in the rustic wooden six by ten. As soon as her form lay down, boots resting together next to the wall, her dress from the day lightly tossed over the back of the chair, her eyes shut. She had not noticed how tired she had been from the day, but it was enough to knock her out with a light head tap from her pillow, the way she would remain until the sun poured through the small window above her bed, signaling the time to get up and work once more.

The little goblin waved to her as she left. "Farewell", he called out after her. Obel finished his beer and took a look around the bar. For many the night was just starting. But he did have to wake early in the morning. It had been a social night for him, which is all he could ask for in these times. He hopped down from the chair and scampered outside to the road.

There was a lot of traffic. Most people were off duty and they were now headed to and from the market or the tavern. There was a crowd that Obel had to make his way through for a few minutes. As he made his way down the long row that eventually led to his barracks building, the crowd started to taper.

One group of soldiers on a night run ran past. A few soldiers were milling about on the long street. A few of them recognized the Korporal. Only a few of them acknowledged him though.

It wasn't long before he entered the room that he shared with three other soldiers. They were all out, probably the market or somewhere causing trouble.

After changing into his pajamas, the goblin hopped into bed and let his imagination take over until he fell asleep.

Constanza retired to her gatehouse, unlocking the door with a brass key. Locking it behind her, she turned to the right, the common room filled with bookshelves of neatly lined books and a table with a few books fitted into the corners of the table's surface. A candle sat near the books. Her bedroom was much the same, except her bed was made with fresh sheets and a fluffed pillow.

The barber and his assistant close up shop, leaving the nurses there while they visit a certain caravan of cats. Then the night passes!

A heavily clothed figure meets the barber-surgeon and his assistant between a few buildings. She rests her back upon the building as they approach. One feline man checks into the tavern late at night, dropping a few coins for the late-night barkeep, "This is for me and my niece. I will take your best room." The barkeep nodded, and so did the heavily clothed niece towards the two surgeons, "Thank you for your business." The two men walk away with pottery in their hands.

Soldiers passed by in the street, near the tavern, and Fa' Urabi pushed the door to the tavern. Strolling towards the countertop, she offers a nod towards the barkeep, "I'm here with my uncle. Do you..?" The barkeep points towards the stairs, "Furthest door, on the right." Thanks were given, and the hours pass. A new dawn awaits!

{What comes next? You need not ask me; just write it! This is our story!}
{That will conclude my morning pep-rally.}
((going to continue since no one has posted in a few days 0.0'))

*NEW DAY!!!*

The sun cast its bright rays through the dirt covered window and onto Lilly's face, causing her to roll on her back and throw her arm over her eyes. The sun slowly intensified as she lay there, deciding with a groan to get up, stretching her arms and then her legs before getting dressed for the new day. She knew not why but her thoughts drifted to the knight, wondering if her had a restful night. With her outfit on, boots fitting snug and comfy she headed out, locking her door behind her before going leaving the Inn, drunkards from last night passed out on tables and a few on the floor.

It was a short walk out the southern gate to the fields, grabbing a large basket and starting to tend, pulling out any weeds and clipping off any less than pretty flowers to allow the nice ones room to grow. She could feel it already, the way her boss looked this morning would mean bad tidings, his expression stern and almost full of disgust as the women and a few men tended the flower beds, another group in the next section working on fruits.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Outpost Halle (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus