Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » How long have you RP'd?

I don't think I've seen this question asked before. If it has been, feel free to erase or lock this topic, or vhateva.

I've been roleplaying for... oh... since I was fifteen, maybe fourteen, so about 8 or 9 years now. I had a rather 'interesting' start: it was mostly on a forum of closely-knit interweb friends, and we rp'd, of all things, OC's set in a Sonic the Hedgehog-esque universe, albeit more serious/darker and all that. Later, I met Andryn, and we become extremely close, and he introduced me to a roleplay chat called The Keep. If you've never been there, or to anything that sounds familiar to that, it was basically a giant gathering of people split into multiple chatrooms within a single portal. I jumped on that train late, Andryn says, because by the time I got there most of the people that were truly good and a sight to see had already left. These days, I actually don't often rp, but when I do, it's almost always with my close friends and in closed-plot settings - something I'm going to try and break here once I quit being so damn shy about it. Yes, the ever gregarious and outgoing Bones does, IN FACT, get shy about things.

So what's your story? Start out with friends? Or maybe you're WAAAY oldschool compared to this 'kid' here, and you can show us what it was really like back in the day. Perhaps you're a Furcadia junkie? That seems to be the 'in' thing to do with kids and rp'ers in general these days, but this dude has no idea what it really is. So how DID you start?
Interesting topic..

For me.. I started back in 1998 when I stumbled upon a chat room called The Mystic Tavern. I had no idea what RP was before that or even that it existed, but I was immediately hooked. Basically, people created whatever character they wanted and brought that character into the tavern for a drink. Needless to say, alot of wonderful interactions happened and it spawned many indepth and intricate stories which are still being played out today. I currently have a story that we have been playing for over ten years and The Mystic Tavern chat itself has seen a rebirth of activity lately which pleases me no end. *beams*

About ten years ago, I started up a RPing community called Morthika and we played there happily until I found this place and brought them all here. *grins*

Now I RP in forum threads on RPR in both the Mystic Tavern and Morthika groups, while I also have two other groups up and running currently which is a huge blast. I'm quickly getting a little group of "close knit" friends that I like to RP with and I'm happy to say that this group gets bigger by the day thanks to THIS amazing place. I also enjoy live RP at the Mystic Tavern chat whenever I get a chance. We just had a Haunted House live event in there this weekend and it was uber awesomeness. :D I have heard of "The Keep" though I havent played there before. I think it might be on the same server as the Mystic chat.. but Im not sure. *shrugs*

Hope that answers your question Bones? Do I get a lollipop now? Or.. a sandwich..??
I was fist introduced to Rp when I was 13/14 I can't rightly remember. And I got my start on a little known chat room (or at least I've never heard anyone else talking about it) Kender Chat, if memory serves me right it was loosely based off the DrangonLance books. After KC I hit furcadia, oh by did it ever hit it :D

I've been playing furc off n on for about 10 years, and (thankfully) I've evolved quite a bit since I started. When I first started I was living out in B.C and the friends I had played (we used to frequent a placed Called The Shire of Ravensfort (that's again depending if memory serves me right in regards to the name.) Then after I moved to Ontario, I got heavily into rping and had a close knit group of players from all over US and Canada (even Brazil! :D)

Finally last year Lance told me about this really really cool place ;) So I checked it out. At the time I wasn't much for froum rp I preferred the fast pacedness of Furcadia, so for a while I just hosted my characters here and did the occasional rp with lance via pm. When I did start rping in the forum I was converted instantly :D I love forum rp now XD
Claine Moderator

From browsing profiles, it seems like a lot of RPers here have been RPing for years. I started about 10 years ago on a free-form RP forum. It ended up growing pretty big, and it's still very active today. While there, I started from a noob who could barely write a coherent sentence, and blossomed into the noob who has about a 50/50 chance of writing a coherent sentence that I am today! In fact, my first ever RPC has a special place in my heart and I still use him today.

On that forum I had a stint as a moderator, a global moderator and a year-long stint as an admin. While there, I met my long time RP buddy Pan. Eventually, I left the site. I've got my own little one, but whatever. It's not much. It's just a place to do the dirty deed. I met Seraph, Cookie , and CD (kinda) there. Also did a stint in a MUD which is now sadly dead.

Seraph showed me this site called RPR. It was so lame, why would I need a place to put my character profiles? I had a thread in the forum to do that. But then Seraph pried me back later and I reassessed my position. Man, you get to do a lot of fancy things with them profiles. Now I'm here, and that just about sums up that.
Yuka

Since I was 14, so... seven years now, going on eight (I remember downloading Furcadia in September, so, I work off that). I've moderated a role-playing forum for a short while, and been on another that sadly went downhill due to the sites' owner leaving.
Minerva

I started at ten years old--and claimed to be 14, since that's -soooo- much more mature. That makes it 11 years now, with occasional life induced gaps. Met the hubby through it though, so s'not so bad.
Lessie... I started when I was 'bout 11, so it's been 9 years now. Way back in the day there was a Pokemon Forum called "Mew's Hangout", and that's where I first learned to RP.

And I was crappy at it. Broke all sorts of cardinal RP rules, had no sense of character development, tons of Sues, all sorts of crazy abilities...

But those characters were the ones that grew into some of the best as I got better and stuck to them. Mew's Hangout eventually died off, and after that I moved on to Furcadia in full steam-- I had gone back and forth between the two (along with various lil' forums) until I settled down in Furc. I've joined countless guilds in it, staffed a couple of them, and now just sort of roam around to whatever dream suits my RP fancy.

Like Claine I too had a stint at the game Daedal Macabre until it closed down, and that's where I more or less met my most recent, lovely bunch of friends. <3

And uh, I met RPR through our guild Skuldhellir when it was still up. Everyone had been putting their charas up there, and I broke down in Dec of '10 and made Drac' and Lauren's pages first.

... or was it Drac' & Taunter? I wouldn't be surprised if that dang Haunter wiggled his way into my heart like that. Just so he could eat it.

oh, uh, speaking of Pokemon again, I did some RPing on twitter, but I had a bit of a falling out and grew disinterested in the place, so I left. :x But it was fun while it lasted. I miss those guys.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I guess it would be fair to say I started RPing when I was in school. My friends and I were very into Star Trek, which was on most nights of the week. What we would do is pretend to be one of the characters from the show and make up our own adventures.

Online roleplaying came a bit later when I discovered Furcadia when it was only a few months old way back in 1997. Continuing the Star Trek theme, I built a number of starship dreams for even more space adventures. Some day I really should fix up the most recent and elaborate version of that (something really weird happened to the layout when I wasn't using it anymore) and invite you all to come see.
Kim Site Admin

Uhhmmm... If we're talking about formalized RPing, where there are rules and people running it either online or LARP or tabletop, then it was somewhere between 9 and 11 that I really got into it. I had my first exposures early in that time frame and eased into it, but it took me awhile to find somewhere I really clicked with and felt welcome. Holy crap that means I started 17 years ago.

If we're counting playing pretend as kids, then I think it is safe to say that everyone started around the cusp of obtaining language. :) Some of us were just too awesome to ever stop, clearly. ;)
Kim wrote:
If we're counting playing pretend as kids, then I think it is safe to say that everyone started around the cusp of obtaining language. :) Some of us were just too awesome to ever stop, clearly. ;)

RP, imaginary play pretend FOR ADULTS (and teens).
SeraphicStar

A little over two years ago, when I found Claine's RP site. I RP'd in the forums there for a bit, and eventually found the RPR where I started storing characters.

In TK (Claine's RP site) I met a bunch of cool people, including a creepy old man that yelled at clouds who, under threat of death by cane, convinced me to try out a game called Daedal Macabre - easily the best place to RP ever, in my opinion. The host pulled the plug (and I miss DM so), but by that point I had already befriended a certain Lolren person and we dragged her all the way to the TK chatroom >:D.

After Daedal Macabre's death I needed a cheap replacement. Furcadia (again, in my opinion) was nowhere as good as DM, but it sufficed. It's been a couple months now and I suppose it does its job.

So yes. Two years. NOOB.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I very distinctly remember my first RP. It was in a Pokemon AOL chatroom. My post was...

::a black dragonite walks in::

... and that was the start of something glorious, folks. ;) I had invented my first character, Kain, before I started RPing--I made up stories about her and her friends and whatnot. After the AOL chats, I moved on to forum RP back on Expage sites. The first one of those was Castle O' Hogwarts. (Yep.) My IRL friend RPed with me on many of the sites I did, including my own attempts at GMing. Heck, largely it was just me and said friend, and no one else. X) But that's fine. Then came the era of forum RP... I joined countless sites with countless characters, though in the vast majority of them I played some version of Kain. In I THINK '99 I first met my first awesome RP group, and did forum RPs with them until 2005. We haven't RPed in years (barring a brief stint here ;)) but I try to keep track of all of them. You just don't let friends like that go. Then in fall of 2001 I took my first step in Furcadia, and I've never looked back since. I played my Kain character for many years, developing a unified storyline for her, until I let her gracefully retire in 2010 due to certain circumstances.

PS, Nikina...
Quote:
(we used to frequent a placed Called The Shire of Ravensfort (that's again depending if memory serves me right in regards to the name.)

OH MY GLOD RAVENSFORT! WHO DID YOU PLAY! Back then I was still Kain Ragnorok. My best friend was Seifer Swordshadow, and we had all kinds of crazy adventures in RF. (And for many years after.)
Like Claine, I started off my roleplaying career as a wee lass of 12. I've been playing for around ten years, mostly original fantasy like the 5-year story Claine and I have been in, as well as a few dabbles in post-apocalyptic, and several fandom roleplays. Today I still roleplay all this, except I also roleplay a lot of Hetalia and am known to rage when I see terrible characters made for it. Bc
Oh geez. How long have I been RPing? How does RPing in aol chat rooms via T2 style on a comp running dial up and windows 95 when windows 95 was the best thing since sliced bread? Yep. That means I've been on the RPing scene for about 17 years now. And that's just computer based. If I included table tops such as D&D I think I can go back even further. I think. But anyways. As I stated. AOL chat rooms accompanied by the 7-10-7 workings of T2 was how I started. We didn't really do things that involved having to make characters. Just short stuff like *walks in and sits on a couch* accompanied by random people of varying ages deciding to fight trying to show off their typing speed. I did that on and off till sometime in highschool...my sophomore year I wanna say, my high school sweet heart introduced me to Furcadia. And thus I created my first character. Majere Phantom. Furcadia was a wee little thing then. Still mostly new. I think it had only been around for about a year then. But then I didn't know A from A-hole about making dreams nor did I even try so most of my RPing was done on the main maps. Mostly Imag. Sometime later after I got better and had actually tried my hand at dream making a became a Welcomer Beekin who could do a lot of the other beekins jobs as well having gained a bit of reputation from offering constructive criticism on a persons dream to giving them tips on what patches would work best for their idea and helping them modify DS that was causing things to happen in their dream they didn't want or desire. Furcadia was my mains stomping grounds off and on over the years from then on with occasional stints at other places but none that stuck nor can I recall their name. On Furcadia I was most commonly found in Gryffehold, Silverion Island, Nikina's The Elysium and my own TatZ N ThingZ on Imag with me frequenting other dreams such as The Slave Chambers, Last One Standing Arenas, Barefoot Paradise and one other called like...Moonshire Kingdom or something to that effect. The last one of which, one of my characters who, little did I know at the time, would be the prototype for my character Kyle Lockhart, when on a rampage and single handedly destroyed. Little over a year ago, I found this place, and before I was even hooked I caught myself dragging Nikina along for the ride and to say I'm hooked would be an understatement. Nikina, on a side note, has been one of my more common RPing partners off and on for about 5 years now so she can tell you about some of the stuff I've done and dealt with on Furcadia and a lot of it would just make people want to up and quit RPing altogether. But I'm still here. A good deal of thanks going to her for calming me down a lot of the time.
Jetticus

since I was 11, DnD, Cyberpunk, and White Wolf.

I've had probably at least a thousand characters... Jettikai is actually a character I played when I was 11.
Heimdall wrote:
PS, Nikina...OH MY GLOD RAVENSFORT! WHO DID YOU PLAY! Back then I was still Kain Ragnorok. My best friend was Seifer Swordshadow, and we had all kinds of crazy adventures in RF. (And for many years after.)

*starts singing* it's a small world after all. XD Gooood....It's been a really really long time. I think...*THINK* I wanna say it was Calisto Ember, if it wasn't calisto...it was something of a variation. It's been way to frigging long since those days
For some reason I remeber one of the names of the people we played with Cedwick/Cless
Ilmarinen Moderator

nikina wrote:
Heimdall wrote:
PS, Nikina...OH MY GLOD RAVENSFORT! WHO DID YOU PLAY! Back then I was still Kain Ragnorok. My best friend was Seifer Swordshadow, and we had all kinds of crazy adventures in RF. (And for many years after.)

*starts singing* it's a small world after all. XD Gooood....It's been a really really long time. I think...*THINK* I wanna say it was Calisto Ember, if it wasn't calisto...it was something of a variation. It's been way to frigging long since those days
For some reason I remeber one of the names of the people we played with Cedwick/Cless

That sounds really, really familiar! Cedwick and Cless do too. But yeesh, it's been way too long. I loved that ol' dream.
Heimdall wrote:
That sounds really, really familiar! Cedwick and Cless do too. But yeesh, it's been way too long. I loved that ol' dream.

Me too, its where I first started to grow in skills. :)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim wrote:

Apparently so!

I like to include playing pretend Star Trek because I feel my interest in roleplaying on Furcadia is an evolution of that.
Sanne Moderator

When I began playing Neopets in 2001, two concepts were introduced to me: roleplaying and drawing! I also learned English by struggling through the site figuring out what was what and interacting with people and asking them to help me out. :)

I wasn't a very good roleplayer at first. :P But a few years into it, I found Furcadia and I started roleplaying there. There were a lot of thesaurus-humpers at that time, making it almost impossible for me to get what was being said. Because of that and my very hard failed attempts to mimic that kind of behavior, I swore to myself to always stick to simple prose. It's the story that matters, right? :D

About a year into playing Neopets I found Oekaki boards. I started doodling terrible pictures with my mouse. My first drawing ever (a serious drawing) was a poorly pixelated and not colored Desert Aisha. A few months later I found out that my Dad had bought a tablet a while ago (a Wacom Graphire 1) for photo enhancement, as he used to be a photographer, but never got the hang of it. I heard from other artists about this tablet thing and I asked my Dad if I could use it. Took me a few months, but eventually I learned how to use it and drew almost exclusively on the computer.

Roleplay and artwork has pretty much always gone hand-in-hand with me. Not only could I tell my stories, I could also draw them. Or at least visualize my characters the way I saw them! I've improved a lot over the years with both English and artwork. It's been over 10 years now.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » How long have you RP'd?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus