Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Game of Thrones

Darth_Angelus Moderator

I believe there a few fans of the books and the tv show here, so it seemed only fitting to start a thread now that the second season has begun. And what an excellent start it had!

So far I've only read the first book as I found I prefered to watch the show but I am very tempted to go get the second of my bookshelf this very moment! :D
Claine Moderator

I read all the books years back. I love them like mad. The TV show doesn't air in Japan so I have to download it to watch it. However, I'm not as pumped about it as some of my friends. I really liked the first season. I was very impressed by it. But it doesn't hold any surprises for me, so I am in no rush to watch it. I'll watch it sometime later :)
For some the books can be a bit to get through.. I've talked to a few friends who started reading the first one, put it down only to later pick it up. I really, really enjoyed the books. I've never had a book make me get so upset/peed off about something that happened that I had to put the book down and stop reading.

I really enjoy the show. Even though I know what will happen, there are still suspenseful moments for me. First episode came out yesterday! I need to download that.
TheLily

My husband loves the books, but I've barely even looked at them. I got a huge deal on the digital "box-set" of the first four, but I've barely even looked at the first book, meanwhile my husband has practically shredded his physical copies of the first three.

I don't know about watching the show, but perhaps one day.

Any idea on which part to skip to in the first book so I don't get bogged down reading all the intro?
I've actually never seen or read anything about it. LOL as always I'm the last one to hope on the trendy bandwagon ;) lol I'm sure I'll get to watch/read it soon. I've heard lots of buzz about it.
Love love loved series one and hanging out for series two (it starts in two weeks in Aus. :D )

Haven't read the books yet, but only because I could find every other one apart from the very first one when I went to buy them :(
TheLily wrote:
Any idea on which part to skip to in the first book so I don't get bogged down reading all the intro?

I'd really suggest working your way through it if possible. Just power through it, it's worth it, trust me. (:
My partner pushed me head-first into the deep end of the GoT pool just a week or so ago. There is no going back, for me, now.
I just finished watching the first 2 seasons online. I have yet to read the books but my brain is itching to start once i have my fingers on them. I love the series of episodes I can only imagine how great the books will be!
Darth. You must read the books. Must.
I like the Game on pc and watching the tv show if I add some freinds who like it to maby i will try to make a RPG whit it but for the momment i wait for the season 3 :P
Sanne Moderator

As someone who's read neither the books nor seen the show, can someone give me a quick summary of what exactly it's about? I'm afraid to get info from Google because of spoilers 'n stuff.
I absolutely adored the books! (Darn you R. R. Martin! DARN you for making me wait YEARS for Dances with Dragons!) The TV show is nicely done, I mean... for books as large and deep as these they had their work cut out for them to fit them into the time and length frame they had.

Also... in case anyone was interested. There is a AWESOME Unofficial e-doll game at Doll Divine.
Well, Sanne, to put it simply it's exactly as the first book sounds. A Game of Thrones. It's about a different world than ours where there is one king for what used to be seven kingdoms in one country. The book focuses on all the different family's in the land and their struggles for power when power shifts. It's hard to put it more simply than that without giving to much away. Or at least, I think so.

But I would suggest trying out the show first; the books can be daunting if you want to be hooked right away.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Game of Thrones

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus