Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Help test groups!

Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Also also;
  1. fixed some more Firefox bugs on the group settings page thanks to screenshots from darth_angelus. Whoops. Chrome is spoiling me.
  2. Emails sent about subscriptions to stuff on group forums should now send you to the group forum. Previously it was routing you to the public forums, which actually worked, but was confusing.
  3. You shouldn't be able to view stuff on group forums by plugging in their numbers to the main forums anymore, or by following the erroneous links that were being sent out with emails. Although the main forums have the same plumbing and can therefore handle the contents of any group forums, they now politely excuse themselves and reroute you to the group you are trying to look at instead.
  4. Added a second screen to the Group Wizard that suggests some more options to play with after the initial setup.
  5. I desire a fruit smoothie.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I see that giant red widget icon. And it's also tiny before it leaves the original icon on the side.

Apparently I have three extra text widgets on the right bar now.

One fruit smoothie coming up. Now the question is, how to get it to you without spilling it? ;)

A few updates for you:
  • You can now drag group pages into a different order
  • You can drag group forums into a different order (assuming you have more than one)
  • I shrank the size of the ads in the sidebar
  • Halfway through implementing invitations. They can now be sent but they can't be redeemed, so gimme another day or two there.
  • Still investigating new widgets randomly spawning in the sidebars. The issue seems to have quieted down for now.

Aaaand I have to go back to work. Sorry! I'll start responding to your emails and things later in the day, probably after dinner.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I'm not seeing any problems with those updates and I was about to say I hadn't noticed any random widgets in the sidebar since I posted about it before. Guess what just showed up. Three text widgets and the featured members widget this time.

I'll see if I can figure out what I did to make them appear and get back to you.

By Jove I think you've solved it, Darth. Your last bug report was gold. Thank you!!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

No problem! :)

And I found another bug which I'm going to report in a moment.

Group invitations should be working now!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Let's find out :)
I'd start a Bi'lathe one, but there are all of probably three Bi'lathe RPers on here, and I don't think any of them are active anymore. Plus, I haven't uploaded the dream in twoish months.

Ff.

That's okay, no need to start a group if you don't want to. Sad to see Bi'Lathe inactive, though, that place was cool. :(

OKAY, group founders can now be characters instead of players.
Kim wrote:
OKAY, group founders can now be characters instead of players.

YES
Ilmarinen Moderator

I wish I could be more helpful, but this is secondhand information. I'm not sure if it happened to anyone else, but! Skuldhellir's members list exploded. Everyone got removed from it except for me (as a player) since I'm the founder. It didn't affect my title, either. But yes, everyone got wiped sometime yesterday or today.

Yikes. I see all the members in the database and it's responding to me as if I still had membership with my two characters, so they aren't gone, they just don't appear to be showing up on the member list. I will go in search of crossed wires. Thank you!
Darth_Angelus Moderator

It seems to be every public group.

However, I am still seeing myself and my characters in the private Darkness Saga group.

That was a complicated one requiring a nap to solve. :P It was only affecting groups wherein the founder was still a player rather than a character, and the second person in the list of members was also a user and not a character.

I see no evidence of database damage or information loss, so all the members should now be displaying and working normally just as before. Phew.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Looks fine now! Thank you Kim! <3

(And thanks for the accolade--that is very clever. XD However, Copper_Dragon was the one who pointed it out to me in the first place!)

NEW FEATURES

I'm making a push to expand the usefulness of groups. I just released a few of the things that I've been working on.

Please test:
  • Managing group members has been moved to its own behind-the-scenes page to make it possible to squeeze in more options
  • You can now designate people as GMs (Short for Game Masters. Sometimes also known as Dungeon Masters or Story Tellers). GMs are able to make announcements, add things to the events calendar (still unreleased, but under construction) and see things inside [gm-only] tags.
  • New BBCode tag, exclusive to groups! Use [gm-only] in text widgets or in group forums to let your GM know something without tipping your hand to the other players.
  • You can now assign moderators to group forums
  • Dashboard notifications now monitor group activity
  • People with editing power or who are GMs can post announcements. They show up like news articles do in notifications.
  • A corresponding widget to allow you to place your announcements wherever you please.
  • Recent activity widget for groups
  • Many new fonts
Darth_Angelus Moderator

An impressive array of new features, can't wait to try them out :D
I don't know if it is just me, but when I go to edit the group page, the color selectors are way off. Like, the cursor is.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Help test groups!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus