Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » Lazy the n00b

Hello,
I'm just an RP n00b, so sorry if I do something stupid.

I have loved making characters for years and this seems like a good place to use them! I like to draw, write stories, make comics, etc.
Kim Site Admin

Welcome welcome! Glad you've joined us. :D

When getting started with RP, I really recommend this primer on basic RP concepts as a starting place. Even if you have some RP experience, it can be a nice way to see what the general norm is here.

When it comes to starting RPs, most people start in the Looking For RP forum to find some other players. There's also a search tool that will help you find what you're looking for within that forum - click "Find RP" in the top menu, then "join game" then scroll to the bottom to adjust your preferences for game types. If you want more info on using that search tool, here's a handy help article.

If you end up joining someone else's RP, they'll let you know the details about how to join in.

If you're starting up your own RP, you have a few choices about how to proceed once you've found a RP partner or two.
  1. You can just create a RP topic on one of our 3 public RP forums: General Roleplay, Sci-Fi Roleplay and Fantasy RP. Keep in mind that because these areas are public, you'll have to make sure the RP stays in the PG-13ish range.
  2. You can choose to RP via private messages, and just create a new conversation thread with all your RP partners as recipients. Since this is private, the only rules that tend to apply are not to do OOC illegal things and be nice to your RP partners OOC.
  3. If you're going to have a whole lot of people in your RP, or the RP setting is going to be very strictly defined and you want to have a place to store world building information alongside it, you might consider starting your own group. This gives you access to profile building tools for the group, but also to creating your very own forums!
  4. In some cases, you and your RP partner might even decide to use some other messenger or game to RP on.

By the by, you can use the "launch chat" button at the top and bottom of any forum topic, whether it's in a private group forum or our public RP forums, to turn your topic into a real time chat! There's also a link in the sidebar of private messages that will let you do the same.

This is a pretty big site with a lot of features and areas, so if you need help, there's a few ways to get help. Probably the first thing to try is just typing your question into the search box, or you can check the help section. If you still need more help, we pride ourselves on having a warm and welcoming community. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or suggestions!
Welcome to RPR! Kim's given you some awesome starter tips, and you'll soon see that everyone here is super friendly :) I'm sure you'll have some RP friends in no time! :D
Hi! :) Welcome to RPR. Have you ever RPed before, or will you be trying for the first time here?

Do you have an idea about what kinds of RP you might enjoy? Your characters look like they'd be perfect for historical settings!
Welcome! Unless you're intentionally a butthead, I don't think you have to worry about doing anything "stupid." Folks are pretty friendly and helpful here, and we don't judge people for things like inexperience. ^_^

Saw your art thread, by the way. Lovely stuff! And good timing. Epic week is coming up, and one of the contests is drawing new characters to replace the ones you saw before signing up (the "Genre Jumble"). :)
Lazy Topic Starter

Alecia wrote:
Hi! :) Welcome to RPR. Have you ever RPed before, or will you be trying for the first time here?

Do you have an idea about what kinds of RP you might enjoy? Your characters look like they'd be perfect for historical settings!

I've RPed before with my friends, I just don't have a feel for the forum here yet, haha.

I generally like medieval/fantasy with these characters. I have some modern fantasy characters that I am going to add soon as well as scifi.
Well, hello there and welcome to RPR! I'm Lotus, but call me Light! It's uber sweet to meet you!

Trust me, like Novalyyn said, unless you're really a butthead, you'll have no problems here. Unless you actually have a butt for a head and are really nice. Then we won't judge... But we might ask a question or two. Aside, do you have any other hobbies, like reading, games, TV?

Kim gave you a great starting kit for getting settled in, so all I have to say is if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask any of us! We don't bite! ...Aside from the ones who do. Then they might take it easy on you. ...I think. XD
HibariHaru

Hey and welcome to RPR. it's nice to meet yah. Nice art too!
Lazy Topic Starter

LightSide-Lotus wrote:
Aside, do you have any other hobbies, like reading, games, TV?

You just opened up a pandoras box, my friend. Here is a list:
-Digital art
-Political theory
-History
-Mythology
-Video games (Xbox nerd, though pc is growing on me. Mass Effect, Assassin's creed, Dragon Age, Ace attorney, Kingdom hearts, and many, many more)
-Comics (mostly marvel, x-men and deadpool being my favorites)
-Procrastination
-Writing
-I'm quite the RWBY fan

And many more, including some that I probably shouldn't mention.
Hi, welcome to RPR! Trust me, I felt the exact same way that you did when I first joined this site xD But the website is surprisingly easy to get a hold of, only if you play around with the site a bit.
Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite games! (I suppose you probably knew that judging by my username :P) And we seem to share a common hobby of procrastination as well!
Hope you have a great time here!
Lazy Topic Starter

Xion wrote:
Hi, welcome to RPR! Trust me, I felt the exact same way that you did when I first joined this site xD But the website is surprisingly easy to get a hold of, only if you play around with the site a bit.
Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite games! (I suppose you probably knew that judging by my username :P) And we seem to share a common hobby of procrastination as well!
Hope you have a great time here!

Its a great hobby.
Hi there, and welcome to RPR! I hope you have a great time here on RPR!
Oh yes, I saw your art~ I love it :D
If you need any more help just feel free to ask :3
Welcome to the site~
Welcome! I saw that you like Ace Attorney. I hope you enjoy yourself here. I like Ace Attorney as well xD. My icon says it all
Lazy Topic Starter

DetectiveZack wrote:
Welcome! I saw that you like Ace Attorney. I hope you enjoy yourself here. I like Ace Attorney as well xD. My icon says it all

Your icon is amazing.
Welcome to one of the friendliest places of the internet!

You are on: Forums » Introductions » Lazy the n00b

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus