Skip to main content

Forums » Introductions » New to the site HIII!

yes I'm new! Learning the in and outs. But yeah, I'm CW, and I like sewing, RP, and drawing. Whatsup?
Salutations!
SeraphicStar

And greetings!
Kim Site Admin

Oh man, I have recently gotten into sewing myself, and it is so much fun. Nice fabric is sooo expensive though!

What do you sew? I have been doing my best to make snazzy costumes.

You know, in my vast and copious free time. >.>
Kim wrote:
Oh man, I have recently gotten into sewing myself, and it is so much fun. Nice fabric is sooo expensive though!

I demand you make a kilt. Right meow.

Oh, and Hi CW!
Celticswynd Topic Starter

Kim wrote:

Currently working on an Edwardian "Titanic" dress. I normally get the poly satin stuff, and what's for sale. here's a tip: If you're a Goth, wait for AFTER Halloween to go fabric shopping. Delightfully spooky fabrics at discount prices! Same for any holiday really. Buy fall fabrics toward Winter and so on.
Kim Site Admin

Andryn wrote:

Oh, and Hi CW!

Are those easier or harder than corsets? They look simple, but I hear there's lots and lots of fabric involved.
Celticswynd wrote:
Currently working on an Edwardian "Titanic" dress. I normally get the poly satin stuff, and what's for sale. here's a tip: If you're a Goth, wait for AFTER Halloween to go fabric shopping. Delightfully spooky fabrics at discount prices! Same for any holiday really. Buy fall fabrics toward Winter and so on.
Are you working from a pattern(s)? Or are you free handing? Either way I am impressed and really really want pictures.
Sewing, RPing AND drawing? ;u; You's mah soul mate!

... right. I hope that didn't scare you.
Anyway, welcome to RPR! :>

Kim wrote:
Andryn wrote:

Oh, and Hi CW!

Are those easier or harder than corsets? They look simple, but I hear there's lots and lots of fabric involved.
Celticswynd wrote:
Are you working from a pattern(s)? Or are you free handing? Either way I am impressed and really really want pictures.

It'll be a while before I can get it done. I'm using Laughing Moon Mercentile's pattern for Edwardian day dress and evening dress.
Kim Site Admin

That's the one!
Hello there! Welcome to RPR! ^^

ALSO KILTS! Do want one too. Should start a postal-order company, Kim.
Dragonfire Moderator

'Ello!

I always have this wanting of learning how to sew clothes, but I can never actually get around to doing it, hehe. Pretty dress, though!

Start simple, Try the Easy Vogue or Simplicity's "See and sew" line first. Too many pieces can lead to frustration for a beginner. On sewing machines: Don't go out and buy the most expensive one you can find. Start simple, start with a cheap sewing machine. Try second hand shops first, they may have a wonderful vintage or antique in a nice wooden cabinet you can start with! (if you can find a drop bobbin sewing machine for cheap, that is always a plus. You don't have to mess with a bobbin case this way, just pop in the bobbin!)
Dragonfire Moderator

*chuckles* Yeah, getting a sewing machine would probably help. (I made boxers in home-ec once, though!) The other issue is that I find cutting out pattern pieces from the fabric to be really unwieldly - even when I go to make simple rectangular veils for dancing, handling all the fabric is a pain in the butt. :P

Dragonfire wrote:
*chuckles* Yeah, getting a sewing machine would probably help. (I made boxers in home-ec once, though!) The other issue is that I find cutting out pattern pieces from the fabric to be really unwieldly - even when I go to make simple rectangular veils for dancing, handling all the fabric is a pain in the butt. :P

I always use the floor, but one time I had part of the fabric rolled up and just cut the peices and then unrolled more fabric and cut more pieces.

You are on: Forums » Introductions » New to the site HIII!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus